Obscure songs from the '70s that you love to share with people

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spacer22, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

2. John54

John54 Senior Member

From the excellent Garden Shed LP, Paraffinalia by England:

3. John54

John54 Senior Member

From 1970, Doctor Tom by Freedom North (although I think the 45 just bills them as Freedom). The intro always reminds me of an elephant lumbering along. I suppose the style is not that far removed from Little Kind Words by Lighthouse either.

4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Amazing Blondel, Seascape:

Also check out Lincolnshire Lullaby and Celestial Light, both from the 20-minute suite Fantasia Lindum, on the LP of the same name.

HarborRat likes this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

Ramatam, The Land / Rainy Sunday Evening:

As I recall, the band were mostly hard rock sometimes with a '50s edge, so this song is atypical, but it's absolutely gorgeous.

backeast, plentyofjamjars67 and RickH like this.
  6. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

1974 was top 20 in the UK and rcvd play on the best FM stations in North America.

7. Javed Jafri

1973. Was a big hit in New England. Inspired by The Byrds version of Pretty Boy Floyd.

8. Stickville Jim

Stickville Jim Active Member

Not to be confused with Edison Lighthouse (Love Grows Where....)

9. Javed Jafri

1977 Wild In The Streets - Garland Jeffreys.

10. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

My fave song by Turkish psych-folk-pop phenom Bulent Ortacgil:

The whole album, Benimle Oynar Misin, is fantastic!

11. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  12. RickH

13. Stickville Jim

Stickville Jim Active Member

Wow! Synchronicity! Not only did I find myself looking at Fanny and saying "Who were they and what did I miss?" but I also posted a cut from Spartacus a little bit ago

RickH likes this.
  14. RickH

Yeah, well your Spartacus post made me remember the awesome Triangle from their preceding album :cheers: And Fanny were pretty great!

15. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Mississippi Mama by Owen B.

16. This is a great thread, because there were so many undiscovered groups and songs from the 70's that just didn't get the airplay or exposure for whatever reason. The bar was raised so high and the competition was ....as we know... simply incredible.

You had the greats of the 1960's still very active and still some from the 1950's in the game as well. Just more seasoned and experienced. Young bands really had a mountain to climb and it really asked the most of an up and coming artist.

Today, anyone with an idea is a computer youtube star, recording their own album from samples and pre created loops or other facsimiles right from their laptop or bedroom. With the dumbing down of the educated or culture ear, low quality sound files are the new acceptable standard with no end in sight.

Personally, I am always finding so many lost gems from the 70's that it keeps my ears full. I prefer the more natural sounding recordings that were NOT manipulated by computers or techy software programs. Drum machines (which I personally despise) were not on the scene yet in any kind of significant way.

I hold new music to the same standard laid down by the great musicians and songwriters of the past. It needs to be that good to bend my ear. It does happen.

Back on topic, I often share Joplin's version of "Little Girl Blue" as the defining moment of her talents over "Piece of my Heart" or any of her other classic rock staples. I also turn people on to Joni's original and eerily haunting version of "Woodstock" over the sterile CSNY version. While these might not be lost classics to those here, most people haven't heard them.

NudieSuitNezHead and JimSpark like this.
  17. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Some Kiwi rock from Pipp, better known as The Fourmyula

MOE DOLLAZ likes this.
  18. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Another oldie from Tarney/Spencer:

plentyofjamjars67 likes this.
  19. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

Not sure if this song is obscure, but if you haven't heard this one it sure deserves a listen. The 70's at their best:

20. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

21. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Point Blank did some good stuff. Nice guitarwork.

22. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Great song. One of the all-time best Canadian rock songs.

23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

For a great, relatively obscure hard rock/metal song, how about Napoleon Bona Part I and II by Budgie?

24. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Traffic - "Walking In The Wind." From their 1974 album When The Eagle Flies, which never got much love or attention. Nice song to hear on a Sunday morning. Great bass line, too.

Smackswell and Maseman66 like this.
  25. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"Ships In The Night" by Vicki Lawrence (from 1973)