Octave V 70 SE: thinking about getting one- any opinions on it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by cadeallaw, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

You Purchased NOS Genalex Gold Lion Tubes? where did you get those? they are extremely rare and will cost a large sum of money.

2. Slippers-on

Excellent amp ! Congrats!

3. Slippers-on

I've a set of new production Gold Lions as well...mated them with some NOS Tungsram tubes. Both brands in my preamp. I've NOS Valvo tubes and some NOS Russian military Rocket tubes in the power amp. The combination of all 4 brands of tube present the music in such a way its easy to get lost in the tunes. Not too warm and certainly not bright or ear bleed but very neutral, transparent, clear, detailed. Excellent nice fidelity. I'd suggest Cadeallaw do some tube rolling to get it right to his ears.

4. cadeallaw

cadeallaw Forum Resident Thread Starter

just like what my great grandpappy used to tell me, "Why seek out Gold Lions when you have 6550WE Sovteks?!??"
    [​IMG]

5. Slippers-on

Yeah....I betcha he'd tell you if you had NOS KT88 Genalex Gold Lion made in England and not those from Russia, for that nice fancy Octave amp... he'd say why mess around with 6550WE Sovteks! :D:D:D Lets see...youd need how many for your amp? 4? That's probably $1000 $1500. Considering how rare they are....probably more.

cadeallaw likes this.
  6. Slippers-on

Here you go, cadeallaw...these look like the real deal and not the fake ones some cats try to pass off as vintage.

Quad Genalex GOLD LION KT-88 vintage tube valve (MADE IN ENGLAND) | eBay

These would be great in your amp! Also match up your 12Ax7 and the two 12AT 7's and you're set. I wouldn't go all warm if I where you....the Gold Lion are going to be nice warm detailed ..so I would replace the driver tubes with a set of dynamic, transparent lively tubes. NOS of course. NOS Valvo would be a tube of my choice for the drivers. Good tubes will coast you...but hey, that amp new will go as high as $6k.

7. cadeallaw

thanks for the advice... I'll look into all of this, driver tubes sound very intriguing... great grandpappy be damned!

8. the audio god

the audio god Member

Bought them on eBay they where nos and new in box. They where originally sold by Andy Bowman of vintage tube services. Called Andy according to Andy they are a mirrored match quad. They sound incredible!

Slippers-on likes this.
  9. Slippers-on

Wow! Great for you! I know they are sounding excellent! Perhaps cadeallaw will also purchase a pair?

10. the audio god

the audio god Member

I am working on that! I love the nos tubes my driver tubes are nos nib telefunkens from 1969 and my input tube is an amprerex from holland from 1963. I have them in my octave amp hooked up to a pair of 1983 Klipsch Belles. Fantastic sound!

11. Slippers-on

Oh....ok! You may be set,then. I've got NOS Telefunken 12ax7's....also a Mazda 12au7. Aren't using them at the moment, jus t part of the stash. I've also got some rare Kobe TEN tubs that are just lovely !

12. the audio god

the audio god Member

You know your tubes the nos gold lions maybe the best power tubes I have ever heard also have a quad of nos tungsol black plates they also sound great!

13. cadeallaw

I've got some 2014-ish 6550WE Sovteks that may or may not be a mirrored match quad. They were wrapped in bubble wrap.
    [​IMG]

14. cadeallaw

Just got some 1950s/1960s Telefunken 12AU7s and 12AX7

15. the audio god

the audio god Member

All telefunkens will make your amp a little bright. Maybe you should try a a 12ax7 bugle boy that should help level out thr telefunkens.

16. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

Hybrid? Looks like a tube unit to me.

17. cadeallaw

They have a step-up box, but I'm not using it.

That is a lovely idea... infact, I'm currently demoing an Amperex Bugle Boy which lessons the brightness. Big fan of this Amperex/Telefunken setup

18. cadeallaw

Doh!
    I spilled a combination of Angel's Envy Rye, ranch dressing and Cadbury cream egg filling on the Amperex and it shorted out... guess it is back to the Telefunken.

19. Slippers-on

How in the heck did that happen?

20. Kevin O'Leary

Kevin O'Leary Active Member

How do you like it? I'm thinking about getting a v 80 se.

21. cadeallaw

It's awesome... badass... no regrets here. It's very lively and dynamic sounding.

22. Kevin O'Leary

I just got a V80 se and your right it is bad ass. I just upgraded from a prima luna dialogue 1. I like my Prima luna but instatly you can hear and feel the difference. The energy it puts off is incredible . You feel the music. I can't wait until its broken in.

cadeallaw likes this.
  23. cadeallaw

now get you some NOS input and driver tubes... originally, I had all Telefunkens and it was a bit much. Now I have an Amperex Bugle Boy to round out the two Telefunkens and it sounds perfect.

24. Kevin O'Leary

I have never rolled tubes. I know different tubes different sonics but what can i expect from NOS Telefunkens or other tubes. Do you know a website that explains the different tubes?

25. cadeallaw

this should help:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I got my tubes from this guy, he knows his stuff (but don't go ALL Telefunkens- too bright with that amp)-
    VintageTubeServices

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.