October 2017 Criterions: best month ever!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by 93curr, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member Thread Starter

Definitely in for 'Personal Shopper' and 'The Lure' on day of release. :goodie: Enthusiastic about upgrading 'Vampyr' and 'Barry Lyndon' (which is now 1.66:1 and has an entire disc of new extras). Doesn't look like FWWM has any new stuff not already included on the 'Twin Peaks' complete box set (Criterion have promised "…and more" on plenty of announcements but they rarely result in anything significant) but maybe I'll be surprised.

3. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Wow! Three must-have titles for me: Personal Shopper, Barry Lyndon and Fire Walk With Me (even though I already have the Twin Peaks box set).

4. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

Still disappointed on no Dragon Inn, but I'm OVER THE MOON about the Barry Lyndon! 4k Resto! 1.66! Tons of new bonus content!
    One of my absolute favorite films.
    Easily my favorite film of Kubrick's.

recroom and guy incognito like this.
  5. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Barry Lyndon. Maybe.

6. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

I honestly thought Night of the Living Dead would be among the month's releases since Romero has a phantom page on Criterion's site. Then again, with his sudden death, I think Criterion will hold it off so they can do a proper tribute release of some sort.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  7. Looks pretty meh, but maybe that's just me.

Myke likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

No, plenty of people feel that way. Good chance not to spend, but rather save for when it is an impressive announcement.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

maybe, Barry Lyndon

Matt Richardson likes this.
  10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me. Is it simply the Missing Pieces disc with Criterion slapped on it? What's unique about it?

11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Yep, those are 3 that I'm on board for as well! :)
    Not really interested in The Lure or upgrading my previous edition of Vampyr.

12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Same here. Disappointed to see an other Lynch release (last time it was a documentary) that STILL isn't Lost Highway. Already have the complete Twin Peaks box which has a ton of extra stuff for FWWM, so I won't be buying this.

13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I would have been really excited about a Criterion FWWM Blu-Ray if I hadn't already bought the exact same Blu-Ray together with the complete TV series for $40 on Amazon. I wish they would tackle Blue Velvet. So many scenes in the current Blu-Ray look out of focus to me.

14. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Regarding the 'Barry Lyndon' aspect ratio, this is an excellent article which discusses Kubrick's preferred aspect ratios for several of his films and shows numerous comparisons between home video versions.

KUBRICK AND HIS RATIOS - Alternate Ending

Kubricker, budwhite and arley like this.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

So there is Personal Shopper. Great news!

16. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

I'm on the fence about the 2017 release of Vampyr. It's a new transfer of the same 1998 restoration the DVD is based on, presumably with the same extras.

If you've got that already - does the Blu-Ray make sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.