Odd problem with my Dynavector cart...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Todd Fredericks, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I was spinning some records today and noticed that everything was playing in glorious mono, the trouble is the records were stereo. I checked everything (tried a different phonstage, etc.) and this probelm seems to be coming from the Dynavector 10x4 cart. The tonearm cables are clipped to the cart correcty (I even cleaned them) and yet mono?! This is very odd because earlier in the day, I was listening to some records with incredible separation (no problem) and then a few hours later this. What's could be going on here? I never experienced anything like this before. Is the cart shot? If so, any reasons how or why?

Thanks,
    Todd

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You sure you didn't hit the MONO switch on the Dynaco? Mine has never done that - ever.

3. Todd Fredericks

No, I wish that was the problem. Every other component plays in stereo. I even ran the TT directly to my Yamaha receiver's phono in (listened with headphones) and still mono. The only thing I can think it it could be would be the tonearm cable but it's definately connected correctly and nothing seems to be touching/shorting. Can a moving coil design have a problem like this? This is really weird. Both channels are summed. I used a test record and the L and R announcements are both center. Weird...

Todd

4. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Try calling on Jerry Raskin, "The Needle Doctor" in the twin cities, MN.
    He has decades of phono cartridge experience. Don't know his contact info off hand, but he runs ads in most of the stereo magazines, Stereophile for sure. If anyone has heard of such a problem before, I imagine it would be him. I am fairly certain he is a Dynavector dealer as well.

5. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I've never had this happen, either. I can vouch for Jerry Raskin, though. That's where I used to buy all of my DCC LPs! Good volume discounts.

You can contact him here:

http://www.needledoctor.com

6. Todd Fredericks

It's definately the cart. I switched it with am AT 440ML and it works fine. This is very strange. I'll contact Jerry and ask him what he thinks. I brought this from Origin Live and sadly my 1 year warrantly is up by a few months. It's really weird because I take very good care with all my gear...

Todd

7. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Kinda sounds like something internal within the cartridge...maybe a loose connection. I'm no expert on cartridge construction, but I think there's some soldered wiring in there above the coils that could possibly come loose. I dunno, I'm not the Doctor! ;)

8. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

By the way, that bites about the warranty. Figures. :(

9. Sckott

Wow. I can't believe this happened to your cart, Todd. You checked the pin-outs on the cart to see that they're correct, right? Crossing (-) wires? Sheesh. Whatever it is, good luck!

Donno if you have a volt meter because I would also check for conductance from the pins to the end of the arm. See if it's not crossing. That would be very weird, even still!!

10. Todd Fredericks

It's really weird. I spent hours checking everything today. I installed the other cart and no problems. There must be a short in the cart. I sent Origin Live an e-mail seeing if they have any answers. I was so surprised when this happened because I treat the cart like a baby. I'm going to call Jerry on Tuesday. Freaky...

Todd

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Intersting. I have a DV10X3, early 80's vintage. Can't say I ever cared for the way it sounded, but I did have a problem once after I'd dropped the stylus onto an LP rather forcefully. One of the channels quit working. Panic time! Oddly enough, after I moved it to a different arm, it started working again. I treat it even more carefully today, although I rarely use it. (I don't think it ever sounded good--dull and lifeless, and couldn't track anywhere near as good as my Shure V15V-MR.) Just seems that a moving coil is more delicate than other types of cartridges, and probably would take a lot less abuse or accidental mishandling than other types.

12. Todd Fredericks

I agree, I think something's loose or shorted inside the cart. Maybe the cart doesn't like 'Forever Changes' (I first noticed this mono problem halfway through side 2/now that's a very low-level cutting). I wonder how much this will cost to fix. Maybe I'll write Dynavector a sobbing e-mail. It does annoy me a little that a cart can fail like this out of the blue. I'm always extremely careful when playing records. Oh, well. If I need to get a new cart maybe I'll try something different. Listening to my old AT cart reminds me of some of the pleasures of MM. Any suggestions (without killing the bank/I guess similair quality as the Dyna)?

Todd

13. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

Todd, not to put words in your mouth, but, based on your experience I should think you meant to say similar price and BETTER QUALITY!!!
    Under $500 think about Grado or Sumiko (Blue Point, BP Special)
    A little over $500 Grado, Sumiko, Benz.
    Grado's are fairly "bulletproof" a couple others: Rega & Linn.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What about the Shure V15?

Aren't Grados notorious for their (poor) tracking ability?

15. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

The Grado's that cost around $50, yes, and also notorious for picking up motor hum on some tables, especially direct drives.
    Six words: system matching, system matching, system matching.
    Just making general reccomendations, do not honestly know what would work well (best?)with the W.T. arm.

16. Sckott

Todd, I'd go with a Rega this time. It's a P3, with the RB300, no? Why not the Elys? Damn thing was born for that arm.

If you want something stone flat, I'd go with the Shure V15 like L said.

17. Patrick

Patrick Senior Member

I've had very good experience with the Elys too.

18. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I would definitely do the 'sobbing e-mail thing', or a phone call. I am almost certain that a company like Dynavector would take care of someone who has a defective cartridge, just months out of warranty.

Look at it this way. What would benefit Dynavector most? Making someone happy with great service and prompting great publicity or risk being slagged to death over the internet for refusing to do anything? Who needs bad publicity which can spread like wildfire online?

19. Todd Fredericks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm thinking of maybe going for the Shure V15. I've been thinking of trying that one out for sometime and maybe now's a good enough reason. I'll have to shop around (what do they go for now?) and get some funds together and hopefully next month get one. For now, I'll use the the ole' AT cart (which isn't too shabby/I'm actually enjoying some of it's short comings, etc.). I'm going to write Dynavector a "sobbing" e-mail and of course expect nada. I'm very disappointed that this cart failed like this. Heck, it cost more than my new DVD player!! I could have brought a nice suit for the same amount plunked down on the cart or a small vacation!! Anyway, I guess we can put my experience on the "list" of things that can go wrong with a cart (and believe me, it's not due to misuse whatsoever!). Anyway, I've enjoyed the Dyna cart since I got it but it's time for a change. :)

Todd

20. Todd Fredericks

Okay, I looked over my monthly budget (not much but it's a budget) and I decided I could swing for a new cart now. I called Garage-A-Records and they sold me a new Shure 15VxMR for $229 (plus shipping). I hopefully will get it by the end of the week.

As for the Dynavector, I sent a few e-mails out to Origin Live and Dynavector (Japan) and I'm hoping they can offer a "postivie" solution for this faulty cart. This is obviously an internal problem with the cart and warranty or not this comes down to a lemon. Whatever they decide, I'll accept it but I hope they take a positive step to rectify this.

Anyway, time to spin some records...

Todd

21. Todd Fredericks

Update on Dynavector...

I sent them an e-mail on Monday (the Japanese site) and today I got a very kind e-mail from Mike Pranka (US distributor for Dynavector). He said he's never heard of this type of problem before (but there's a first time for everything) and they will do something to help remedy the situation. I sent him the date and the dealer info I purchased it from. I'm a little concerned because Origin Live is a UK operation but I guess Mike was asked to deal with this from Japan HQ. Anyway, I'm very happy that they've responded to my e-mail and they are being helpful...

Todd

22. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

Hey, that's a pretty fast response! Sounds like it oughta work out fine. Keep us updated...and let us know how you like your Shure when it comes. Those little suckers track like a champ! :)

23. -=Rudy=-

My V15V-MR (mid 80's vintage) would have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands. ;) I have yet to hear anything that can track like this one. Owning a lot of "hot' vinyl, it's been the only cartridge able to play through it all, and it actually made 45s listenable. I'm curious to know how you like it (once you get it set up).

I don't know if they still offer it, but Shure used to sell an Audio Obstacle Course LP to test and adjust cartridges with. The antiskating track was neat--you adjusted it for an equal balance of distortion (or equal amounts of NO distortion) in both channels. There was a trackability portion...only my Shure would track all six levels cleanly. And my Grado GF3E+ (lower-end) actually out-tracked that Dynavector of mine, by a little bit.

You can still find this LP on eBay occasionally. Even as a curiosity.

24. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I like Grados, but every Grado I've ever heard, including some rather expensive models, has had at least some degree of difficulty tracking sibilance.

On the other hand, they track midrange stuff superbly well.

As I've said elsewhere, my current suggestion for an affordable cartridge is the Audio Technica ATML-440, available now for just under $100. SOunds great, tracks well, is not particularly sensitive to cables, doesn't pick up extra hum.

25. -=Rudy=-

The Grados seem compliant enough, but many of them still use elliptical stylii, vs. something along the lines of a line contact stylus. My original Shure with the HyperElliptical stylus could play up to level 5 on the obstacle course, but the MicroRidge could handle the next level. Regardless of tracking, my two Grado carts were always nice sounding pieces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.