Odd, Strange, Weird Movies With Famous Actors

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RhodyDave125, Jan 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RhodyDave125

RhodyDave125 Streetwalkin' Cheetah Thread Starter

I watched a weird and pretty bad movie from the early 1970s on Amazon the other day -

Blood and Lace (1971) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066848/

This is a low budget, low quality "drive-in" movie that apparently played frequently in those places back then.

Interesting cast though. Have you ever wanted to watch Mel from "Alice" in a fight to the death with Uncle Leo from "Seinfeld"? Well, if you have, this is your movie!

Vic Tayback plays a detective.
    Len Lesser plays a creepy handyman.
    Gloria Graham (Oscar winner!) runs the orphanage.

I enjoyed it, despite the many problems and poor quality. I have a fondness for movies like this though, and if any of you do too, you might get a kick out of Blood and Lace!

905, Lightworker, Scott57 and 2 others like this.
  2. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I love that sort of movie. I remember Blood and Lace

There's the old Dario Argento giallo, The Cat O'Nine Tails with Karl Malden as a blind reporter.

3. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Len Lesser also turns up in a strange 1988 modern gothic horror movie, Grandmother’s House. The movie goes into some very disturbing directions by the end. Seeing Uncle Leo in it was interesting.

4. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

Laserblast, from 1978. Starred Roddy McDowall, which probably cost them 90% of the budget, and even then they most likely paid him with a sandwich. It's almost never seen anymore.

[​IMG]

5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

1964's Castle Of The Living Dead with Donald Sutherland as a police sergeant
    and Christopher Lee as a sadistic baron type character...

The trailer...

I saw this as a Saturday afternoon movie on TV in the late '60's and my first
    introduction to Donald Sutherland before I saw him in MASH.

6. SmallDarkCloud

Laserblast was given the Mystery Science Theater 3000 treatment. It’s a great episode.

Roddy McDowell made a career out of unusual roles in cult movies. He’s killed by a homicidal baboon in Shakma. The entire film looks like it was shot in one office building for peanuts.

SirCandy, SandAndGlass and altaeria like this.
  7. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Sutherland also plays a witch and an old man in the film- triple roles!:D

8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

The apparently off his meds Brando in the Island of Dr. Moreau.

9. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Britannia Hospital comes to mind - a wild Lindsay Anderson film with Alan Bates, Leonard Rossiter, Graham Crowden, Marsha Hunt, Mark Hamill, Robbie Coltrane, and of course Malcolm McDowell, among many others. Also Vivian Pickles, whose half sister Christina Pickles was in St. Elsewhere. One of the weirdest movies I’ve ever seen.

SirCandy and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  10. RhodyDave125

That looks like Klaus Kinski!

11. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

This film would fit under the odd and strange category...'Neighbors' with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd...a dark comedy without the comedy ...just a weird disjointed mess,talk about miscasting.

12. SmallDarkCloud

It’s worth mentioning that Thomas Berger’s novel is hilarious and very entertaining. The movie adapts the basic story, but it just doesn’t quite work. Belushi and Aykroyd switching roles might have looked like an interesting idea, but the movie might have worked better if they hadn’t.

kevywevy and unclefred like this.
  13. unclefred

The novel is hilarious and I also think the roles don't work in the movie. Belushi, especially, was not convincing.

14. RhodyDave125

I just watched this on Tubi. Terrible. Roddy McDowall was in for all of 5 minutes. The turtle-aliens were ridiculous. Still, enjoyably awful movie with lots of good explosions and 70's cars. If you like odd, strange, and weird movies, this is worth a watch. Just lower your expectations all the way down to the lime green shag carpet.

15. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

how about 'android' starring klaus kinski !

16. Yawndave

Yawndave Forum Resident

The Shout with Alan Bates as a mysterious drifter who menaces John Hurt and Susannah York. Also with Tim Curry.

Gentlemen Broncos with Jemain Clement, Mike White and Jennifer Coolidge is....well, pretty hard to describe.

reapers and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  17. SPF2001

SPF2001 a must to avoid

THX 1138 - Robert Duvall

18. '05Train

'05Train Crashin' & Flyin' & Livin' & Dyin'

Doesn't get much weirder than this....

[​IMG]

19. RhodyDave125

The Shout looks insane, might have to give that a watch!

Gentlemen Broncos looks awful and not in a good way. I couldn't stand anything about the trailer.

20. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident

I highly recommend watching the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode of this movie, it's a hoot. Absolutely hilarious!

21. Altman's Quintet starring Paul Newman

unclefred and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  22. Fun fact about Laser blast. The "Star" of the film was very briefly the lead singer for the Jeff Beck group!

evillouie and SmallDarkCloud like this.
  23. SmallDarkCloud

Stephen King included The Shout in a list of essential horror movies he created for his (non-fiction) book Danse Macabre. Reading that book was the first time I heard of the film.

I like Gentlemen Broncos, but it is an acquired taste. A very strange film about a science fiction author who steals his ideas from an unsolicited manuscript, interspersed with very funny space opera bits (starring Sam Rockwell) “adapted” from the hero’s novel (that’s the one the author steals). Maybe not for everyone, but I really dug it.

RhodyDave125 likes this.
  24. unclefred

i watched that in the theater, and I was so puzzled about how they got Newman be involved.

rockerreds and midniteinsanjuan like this.
  25. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

The story goes that the movie was written for Belushi as Vic, Aykroyd as Earl, but, Belushi and Aykroyd decided to reverse roles right before shooting.

fr in sc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.