Odyssey Stratos amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coopmv, Oct 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Does anyone own the Odyssey Stratos amp or have experience with it? If so, do you care to share your experience? Thanks in advance.

2. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Yes, I have a totl Stratos, it's probably the best value you'll find in amps. It leans slightly warm of neutral.

3. coopmv

There are two souped up models for the Stratos according to its website. Is totl Stratos one of those models?

4. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Sorry, totl = top of the line. I forget exactly what the given name is...

5. Roger C

Roger C Near Kalamazoo Michigan

I bought a used Statos that has been very reliable. I'm very happy with the sound. I had an Adcon, Rotel 1057, and a Marantz SR8500 before. The Marantz was close to the resolution of the Statos, but the Statos is better. Very good service and upgrades are available by Odyssey. The owner is great to talk with. I would agree that it is slightly warm of neutral.

6. advanced101

advanced101 Forum Resident

I have the Odyssey Kismet Monos in Stratos Cases. Good stuff. Great Value for 4.5K. I would say mine are completely neutral, no warmth. Probably biased that way.

They have a great upgrade path, in a few years send them in and move up the line.

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I had a Stratos Dual Mono for about six months. Built like a tank and certainly a nice sounding amplifier that doesn't offend, but it didn't float my boat--a little cool for my taste. But many people love them, so worth checking into.

John K.

8. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I have been using a Stratos Stereo amp with add'l capacitors for about 14 years. I don't have experience with other amps in my system to independently assert their signature sound relative to other amps, but the claim of just warm of neutral in this thread is consistent with most other posts I have read on various forums. My hybrid ribbon speakers sing with that characteristic ribbon sound I have heard from other ribbons, so the Stratos doesn't get in the way, IMO.

I may eventually upgrade to a pair of Monos within the Odyssey family (either Stratos or Kismets). Having an existing model should soften the upgrade $ blow.

BTW, I also have a Stratos 3 channel amp for center + surround duties. Both amps have been totally reliable.

Doug

9. coopmv

For the price, given the German design and American build plus the twenty-year warranty, the Stratos amp offers more value than most other amps out there. I use a Conrad Johnson MF2500A in my main system. I am looking for an amp for my study ...

10. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I just spoke to Klaus today for about an hour and decided to pull the trigger on a Stratos ++ stereo amp. Wonderful to deal with, and I feel very confident I am making the right decision. I had considered Outlaw and Emotiva, but based on all available data chose Odyssey. Now the wait....it will be about a month before it's ready.

hi_watt, chumlie and bluemooze like this.
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I've got a Stratos amp that I've been very happy with. I've had it for 13 years and I've had to send it in twice for service (it's in right now as a matter of fact). But keep in mind I tend to keep mine on 24/7 as recommended. Each time though Klaus has done upgrades for me; the first time I updated to the Extreme model and with the current repair Klaus fixed the amp (I think it had a bias issue) and updated the caps to Symphonic brand with some other misc. updates. Ready for this? Free of charge because he felt he had the amp too long. Most places just don't offer customer service like that! I'm expecting my amp back any day.

When I shipped the amp in I hooked my speakers up directly to my Denon receiver so I had something to listen to. It sure isn't the same. The Stratos gives the sound a warm, smooth, effortless texture that the Denon just can't duplicate. I love my Stratos.

Oh, and if you buy new, it will require some break-in time. This was the first component I had that I could easily hear the break-in. I honestly thought something was wrong with my amp and even called Klaus about it. He assured me that it was break-in I was hearing when the highs seemed to disappear and the amp became boomy. It was not impressive out of the box, but just a couple of hours and it settled down and a few weeks later it actually smoothed out even more. It made me a believer in equipment break-in.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    bluemooze likes this.
  12. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

I think it's time to find a problem with my Stratos :laugh:.

I've had great interactions with Klaus. He's addressed pre-sale and post-sale questions from me with patience and attentiveness, and we've ended up talking about music and other non-related items to no end. A late night talk is par for the course, and he even returned a call once on a Saturday, for a message I left him earlier that day. I met him a couple of times at audio shows a while back; even better in person.

I do want to upgrade my Stratos one of these days, but it's not at the top of my list yet :( .

Doug

13. coopmv

:righton: And the Stratos amp is made in the US ...

14. Vinylfindco

My Stratos arrives on Tuesday! I took two days off to
    A) be at home to receive it
    B) play with it for a day

What I mean by that is get it situated and hooked up properly and start the burn in process. I'm getting Gronenburg cabling as well that will have to be broken in. I know not to expect much out of the box. I have an Ayer tune up disc that has several tracks for break in, mostly white, pink and brown noise and frequency sweeps. I'll put those on repeat and let it go. Good thing my roommate is hard of hearing. He's not going to understand break in or leaving it on 24/7! I'm going to try to resist playing any music for a few days.

15. coopmv

So are you a happy camper so far?

16. coopmv

IIRC, Odyssey has been around, i.e. in the US for at least ten years and possibly longer. At any rate, it does not appear to have upgraded its models that much ...

17. Vinylfindco

I don't think that's quite true, because Odyssey is a very different company than most. There really is no basic Odyssey. I am willing to bet that most purchasers have customized and "upgraded" the amp. It's just the way Klaus works. It's one of the only companies I know of where you have a choice of over 50 items you could upgrade on a particular model. I believe the Original Stratos basic and what's offered today are very different. Same circuit, better parts. My particular amp is using. Kismet board additional capacitors which themselves are upgraded (Symphonic Line) upgraded wiring, highest quality WBT connectors, etc. it's also been assembled in a Khartago case! So really the sky is the limit with Odyssey. Where else can you consult with the designer throughout the process of building your amp.

scoran likes this.
  18. Vinylfindco

UPS should have it here today. Just checked the tracking!

19. kannibal

kannibal Forum Resident

This is all good info as I have been eyeing an Odyssey Stratos for a year or two now. I have an Adcom GFA555 that I like, but it's the weak link and I know I can get more out of the rest of my system with an amp upgrade. Looking forward to more comparisons and opinions.

hi_watt likes this.
  20. coopmv

Didn't you post yesterday that you already have the amp? Very :confused:

21. Vinylfindco

No, I've been posting that it's expected on Tuesday, tomorrow. It's been sitting in a UPS in the next town all weekend, so I thought it would possibly arrive Monday (today). For some reason their site has not given a delivery day. But Tuesday was originally the day I told Klaus I wanted to receive it, so I suppose it will be here tomorrow. Sorry for the confusion.

22. coopmv

I see.
    I think Klaus is located in Indiana. No?

23. Vinylfindco

Yes, here is the journey:

• Hialeah, FL, US
    • 05/17/2016 12:09 A.M.
    • Destination Scan
    • Hialeah, FL, US
    • 05/15/2016 10:17 P.M.
    • Arrival Scan
    • Chattanooga, TN, US
    • 05/13/2016 8:23 P.M.
    • Departure Scan
    • 05/13/2016 3:06 P.M.
    • Arrival Scan
    • Indianapolis, IN, US
    • 05/13/2016 5:25 A.M.
    • Departure Scan
    • Indianapolis, IN, US
    • 05/12/2016 9:30 P.M.
    • Origin Scan

24. coopmv

I can buy one without paying sale tax ... :righton::agree:

Looks like you are still waiting for delivery.

25. Vinylfindco

I assume it's going to be here today. The facility is just a few miles away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.