"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 31, 2011.

1. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Hey guys

I had a skim of this thread, but found it easier just to ask.

I am looking at buying a AMS (2014) vinyl reissue of the Dawn of the Dead soundtrack, is this a good sounding issue?

Also Deep Red is being reissued by Rustblade records on the 13th. Does anyone know anything about it? Would it be a good idea to preorder it?

I have a 15% off coupon for Barnes and Noble and thats why I ask!

Thanks

PS: Just over a week until I see Goblin play the live score to Dawn of the Dead!

2. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Forum Resident

Stay away from 2010 Dawn of the Dead AMS reissue! This album was printed by a very bad italian pressing plant and in the first track is missing a minute of music.

Alternative4 likes this.
  3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

4. Alternative4

Wow, that's terrible. Thanks for the heads up.

5. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

As I've said elsewhere in this thread, if you want Dawn of the Dead on vinyl and care about sound quality, this is the only LP you should own:

http://www.discogs.com/Goblin-Zombi-Colonna-Sonora-Originale-Del-Film/release/2697306

As for the Deep Red being issued by Rustblade, that's Claudio Simonetti's Goblin which contains no original members of Goblin except for Simonetti. To be fair, they did a very good job of recreating the sound of the original tracks on this new re-recording. However, at moments they miss the best flourishes by the original musicians because, let's face it, these were some of the best rock musicians in Italy at the time and it's pretty tough to match them.

I understand the business reason behind re-recording these tracks, but quite frankly, I don't understand why a fan wouldn't just want to listen to the more superior original if you're informed enough to know that this album is not the original recording.

Mark Nelson and Scope J like this.
  6. Alternative4

Thanks. I guess I will have to track down that copy.

Totally agree about re-recording songs, it usually isn't a good thing. Something as nuanced as that soundtrack is never going to be as good.

7. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Hey, its been a while... nice to see this released - want to grab myself a copy for Christmas... anyone got it, any opinion on the pressing/mastering quality? :)

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I'm waiting on mine to ship from ImportCDs.

Only thing I do know is that forum member Red Goblin actually had a hand in mastering this vinyl release, and he at least seems happy with his work. :)

9. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Ordered it :)

10. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

My copy of Shock showed up today. Looks great, sounds fairly great, and very deluxe packaging. Firm recommendation. However, anyone have a way to translate the extensive liner notes that are in Italian?

11. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Eek. I'm surprised they didn't include English notes as well since this would be imported into English-speaking countries. I don't have any magic on that one I'm afraid, short of typing it (eek!) manually into Google Translate.

12. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Agree, sounds great and whilst I'm not usually one for coloured vinyl, I love the blue "marble" effect on this one :)

[​IMG]

Just a shame my copy came with a scratch on side B which causes several minutes of light, but audible clicking :(

13. Scope J

Any Goblin news for 2016 ? !

14. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The new release of Deep Red on Blu-Ray (which arrived here today) comes with a 28-track bonus disc of the soundtrack. I can't speak to the mastering or provenance but this disc is touted as an "exclusive" and clocks in at a surprisingly respectable 70 minutes. There's also an interview with Simonetti as a bonus on the movie.

Scope J likes this.
  15. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

If you post a shot of the notes, I could try to translate them for you (or I can try to make a summary...).

16. Red Goblin

Alive by Goblin Rebirth (2CD +DVD)should be available next week, the 2 LP version slightly later.
    Also upcoming a live (2 CD+DVD) by Goblin (4).
    'Four of a Kind' special edition CD with live bonus track.
    For RSD 2016 two Goblin, one will make you happy....
    In addition, some other nice surprises....

izgoblin, Machiventa and Scope J like this.
  17. Scope J

Thanks !

18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Yes, I listened to that last night. Much longer than my Dagored LP from 15 years ago, so a worthy addition, even if I think I prefer the shorter release.

Arrow's new Deep Red release has also already sold out, I believe.

19. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

That's the rumour, which is incredible ... When does a Blu- Ray set sell out before release in this day and age?

20. Graham

Graham Senior Member

When it's limited to 3,000 copies. It'll be rereleased later in the year but without the CD, booklet and, most importantly, the shorter cut, which I prefer.

21. Rkellner

Rkellner Forum Resident

i have to start jumping on these Arrow releases. Videodrome went fast too. I think the Hellraiser set from a couple months ago is gone as well.

Oh man, some tasty Goblin hints for this year. Digging it!

22. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

The expanded soundtrack essentially has been released several times by Cinevox on CD over the years, first on a single CD here:

http://www.discogs.com/Goblin-Giorgio-Gaslini-Profondo-Rosso/release/162470

Then on a couple of 2 CD sets, the best sounding one being here:

http://www.discogs.com/Goblin-Profondo-Rosso/release/976112

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  23. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I am VERY excited about the live releases.

If you can do the impossible for one of those RSD releases, then indeed, I will be very happy. (Without getting into details, I mean to uncover some still unreleased recordings with one very specific one in mind.)

I was getting the impression that Goblin may do another tour this year based on what I took to be hints on Morante's Facebook, but now I'm thinking he may have been hinting about the live releases instead.

24. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the live Goblin Rebirth stuff ever since first hearing about it on this very thread - the extra announcements and possibility of more new/unreleased Goblin material is the icing on the cake :) Can't wait to get more info on what exactly is coming...

25. Red Goblin

More info regarding Goblin Rebirth's 'Alive'.
    According to trustworthy rumors the album should be released as:

2CDs;
    DVD;
    box set with 2CDs+DVD plus photographic booklet, 6 cards and Goblin family tree mini poster;
    2LPs test pressing + gadget (limited to 10 copies);
    2LPs + booklet (black vinyl, standard version limited to 500 copies);
    2LPs + booklet + 6 cards + Goblin family tree standard poster + slipmat (colored vinyl, limited to 100 copies);
    2LPs + booklet + 6 cards + Goblin family tree + DVD (different colored vinyl, limited to 100 copies);

The box set and the standard LP version will be available at the Goblin Rebirth concert in Genova (6 February). The colored vinyl versions are still in the making and the gadgets could change or improve.