"Official" Goblin Thread & Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scope J, May 31, 2011.

1. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Awesome, thanks for the report izgoblin :)

Picking up the DVD is a no-brainer, I'm just waiting on the 2xLP packages to arrive so I can do it all in a single order. I've already pre-ordered the Texas Blu-ray, and ordered a black vinyl copy of Four of A Kind to go with it :D

schizzzo and izgoblin like this.
  2. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Excellent decision to include those tracks in a live performance - I recall seeing the YouTube clip of Buio and even in that compressed state, the audio sounded fantastic. Great to see the wider selection of tracks to be performed live, especially looking forward to Viridiana and La Chiesa. So, how is the audio quality?

3. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

You've become one of us serious(ly insane) fans! That's fantastic.

4. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

It's a live DVD so I won't say it's the best I've ever heard in any format, but it sounds very nice. I was able to turn it up loud and enjoy the heck out of it. Lots of clear bottom end on the bass. As mentioned, it was mixed by Pignatelli who knows what he's doing.

I forgot about "La Chiesa". Indeed, that was a highlight as well. Unfortunately for me while "Connexion" is one of my absolute favorite Goblin tracks, I didn't care for the arrangement here. The three things I like the most about the track (the mellotron voices, the bubbly synth background and Agostino's drum sound and fills) are all different.

"Viridiana" is simply beautiful.

5. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I had'nt mentioned it until now, but I've also managed to luck upon a (relatively) affordably priced, minty copy of Etna too recently :D:D:D It sounds every bit as good as I hoped it would! I love that album so much.

So did you get the "Family Tree"? Would love to see what it looks like ;)

izgoblin likes this.
  6. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

I've always liked "Lotte" from La Cheisa too... maybe some day it will be performed live too.

7. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Is the 34 track Droga out on cd ?!

8. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Forum Resident

No.
    I've edited and assembled the LP version for AMS and I don't think it will be released on CD.
    1997 Cinevox CD: 13 tracks / 35:25
    2015 Cinevox CD 26 tracks / 32:15
    2016 AMS LP 34 tracks / 47:50

Scope J likes this.
  9. Scope J

10. Scope J

Would make a nice RSD release !

[​IMG]

izgoblin likes this.
  11. Red Goblin

Yeah, maybe for RSD 2017!
    'Yell' would be a nice addition to the Goblin Rebirth set-list.

Scope J likes this.
  12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Great to hear that you grabbed Etna!! It's nice to see a few of those pop up at more affordable prices than what I paid. Eek. Though still that's a pricey LP!

My recent acquisition which cost way more than I said I'd ever spend on another LP was the "Perche si uccidono" soundtrack. Yes, the original Cinevox LP. Minty and beautiful sounding.... but so expensive that I was really nervous to damage it.

The Family Tree is cool, but now that I think of it, I don't remember seeing the proper listings for Libra on there, but I didn't really study it. I don't have it handy so I can't take a picture right now, but it might have been impossible to design it perfectly or the designer just got lazy at the end. Some bands are just "out in space" at the bottom, not really connected to others. If the designer is posting in this thread, I'm not suggesting I could have done any better. :)

I swore I saw a Goblin Family Tree elsewhere before all the new bands arrived.

13. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Can you confirm that this means there is more unique music on the AMS LP then rather than just repeat mixes? I would imagine you of all people have higher standards than some and wouldn't allow many repeats, but this is a huge deal for me.

14. Red Goblin

I'm not the designer of Goblin's family tree, I think it was made by Roberto and Black Widow staff. If I remember correctly there was a family tree in the Korean papersleeve CD of 'Bagarozzo'.

15. Red Goblin

There are no 'new' themes. I've worked on the 1999 CD and I splitted all the tracks that were assembled together by Cinevox. Then I put them in sequence as in the movie. I recreated every single 'M' present in the film. When it was necessary I assembled several tracks in one piece as Goblin had done for some sequences. There were tracks on the CD not used in the film but on the other hand also tracks present in the film and not included in the CD. I put everything on the LP version. The themes are therefore those 'known', and often are repeated with slight variations in the mix or with different cuts. It is therefore a philological restoration of the soundtrack as intended by Goblin.
    Note that when I had already completed the work, it came out the new Cinevox CD version, made without my and AMS knowledge. I thought to have worked for nothing but when I listened to the CD I breathed a sigh of relief!

izgoblin likes this.
  16. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Nice! I think I've only ever seen one of those originals on sale once since I started my hunt for Goblin wax in the past year or so, and it did not hang around for long at all... rare indeed! I would love to hear what it sounds like, especially "Kalu". Awesome track.

17. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I realize this is overboard, but every CD release so far has omitted Agostino's drum clicks to introduce the main theme. It may be that they were never meant to be heard and were only to count the band in, but these first either appeared on the Beretta 70 compilation or a rare Japanese CD compilation; I can't really remember anymore. In either way, I am kinda hoping they will appear on the new release.

Red Goblin likes this.
  18. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Honestly, I thought AMS' LP sounded really very good when I heard it years ago. I want to play it again to compare with the original, but part of me is afraid to find out that it may sound very close indeed.

19. Red Goblin

Oh my, can't believe it :laugh:
    Marangolo's incipit it's present only in the DRG sampler but do not worry, you'll find it because I have restored it personally at the beginning of the track that I used as a source for the main theme.
    Ian, you and I, we're two crazy Goblin maniacs.
    I think we are the only ones to have noticed this thing and to want it!

Scope J and BAM like this.
  20. Scope J

21. Red Goblin

22. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Got my shipping confirmation yesterday :)

Now, I just hope it doesnt take the two and a half MONTHS to arrive that my last order from Canada did!! (was a few cheap original presses of some Rush LPs).

BAM

23. BAM

BAM Forum Resident

Been pretty quiet in here... surprising given all the new Goblin stuff being released.

Got my Austinato BluRay - Awesome. Also picked up a standard black vinyl pressing of Four Of A Kind at the same time to compliment my Red Pledge edition. Unfortunately whilst the sleeves were flawless the vinyl surface had clearly been subject to some mishandling, but I cant fault BTTFs customer service, they had a replacement sent out to me right away, no hassle and thankfully its much better. It sounds quite similar to the red, good enough to be my go-to copy for now, until I do a more in depth comparison later.

Ordered the Goblin Rebirth 2xLP & DVD from BlackWidow Records as soon as they became available, forgetting that I should have waited as the limited editions had still to be put up for sale. Ah well. Anyway, the package arrived today - the 2xLP, sigh, mishandling issues, scuffs, surface marks... pop crackle snap, SKIP, all before i'd even got as far as track 3 on side A! The sleeves were perfect, and the packaging quite literally bomb-proof (better have a chainsaw ready to help open the package if you ordered from these guys), so cant blame BlackWidow or the postal services, I'm guessing it's probably just a case of the modern vinyl pressing plant worker not having an appreciation for the fragility of the medium! I just wish there was at least some degree of quality control! Makes me somewhat disillusioned with new vinyl purchases to be honest :( Probably gonna skip the Record Store Day Goblin release now, couldn't be bothered with the gamble.

Anyway on the positive side, the DVD live performances of Buio Omega, La Chiesa, Viridiana, and Connexion were all fantastic and I definitely have a new found appreciation for the sheer complexity of that latter track after seeing the guys do it on stage, amazing. One other standout was the extended rendition of Profondo Rosso. They added an "extra verse" to the end section of the track and whilst its only about a minute or so in length, it is utterly fantastic, cant get it out of my head and rewatched it over, more times that I dare admit :D

24. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Unfortunately due to a shipping mishap, I am still waiting on my Austinato package.

Thanks for the tip on the Goblin Rebirth Alive vinyl. I had actually forgotten to keep an eye out for it. And yes, modern vinyl coming out of Italy has certainly not been the highest quality, that's for sure. Most of the recent releases I've gotten have been noisy at least.

Yeah, they did that extended ending of "Profondo Rosso" back in 2009 but for some reason dropped it when they toured the US recently. I was glad to see that it was there on the 2011 concert.

25. Red Goblin

Have a nice Record Store Day!
    I hope you like the records I've prepared for AMS: 'La via della droga' (concept, editing, liner notes, imagery) and 'Suspiria'. For the latter, since Cinevox lost the master of the 45 rpm (and they even ignore that the two songs were shortened for the single!) I recreated the edited versions of Suspiria and Blind Concert and I also designed a 1977 looking mini poster.
    Goblin sette note in rosso: I Goblin protagonisti del Record Store Day 2016. »

MRT, Scope J and marblesmike like this.