Official Jacques Tati Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dotwacky

dotwacky Forum Resident

Give Mon Oncle a shot. If that fails, forget it.

2. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

What Dotwacky said. He's generally more "clever" than "funny." I think Playtime is great, but it doesn't make me laugh.

3. htom

htom Senior Member

Could ther Gorts adjust the topic header to spell Jacques Tati's name correctly? That's T-a-t-i-s-c-h-e-f-f...;)

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Shoulda started with Playtime IMO.

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

+1 :thumbsup:
    'Cours de Soir" is also good but it may be a tad hard to find this short film.
    Besides, IMO stay away from 'Playtime' for the time being.

I love his films and I'd wish to see the 155 minute version of Playtime. OP also made me aware that I do not see his films in search of the jokes, but I do because they're beautiful 'films'.

6. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

Well, I certainly appreciate the time necessary to set up all the parts, and maybe my problem was that I expected a comedy. (Somebody finds this stuff funny for it be classified as such) I get the message and the dry observation of culture. For example, in "Trafic," we begin in a car factory and are bombarded with "traffic" albeit of the human kind.

The problem for me is that without drama, character, or comedy, it's all like watching the thousands of pieces of a complex machine . . .

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Yes, they are beautiful films rather than just comedies!

8. il pleut

il pleut New Member

i just picked up the 2 disc criterion collection version of playtime for 50 cents at a flea market. i'm looking forward to seeing it.

9. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Forum Resident

Yes, give Playtime a shot. It dropped my jaw. The Criterion blu-ray is divine.

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I recall that 'Cours de Soir' can be seen on the Playtime DVD.

Playtime! If only see the choreography (Merry Go-Round) of the cars on the way to the airport at the end of the film, it makes me very happy. 'Trafic' has a similar choreography of the cars, too. If it doesn't appeal to you, IMO Playtime doesn't, too.

11. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That's why I proposed "Jour de Fete" as a starter. The comedy is still at it's most 'recognizable' and there is a story! Well, for a bit. It's less 'loaded' with symbolism.
    I don't really know why the esteemed fellow forum-users propose Playtime :hide:. It's Tati's most accomplished movie, but also his most 'difficult'.

12. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Agreed. It's most difficult.

13. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I have a hard time distinguishing "difficult" films from normal/traditional films I guess. I do like good films and Playtime is just that.

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

BTW, was the negative of full length 155m. version of Playtime lost?

15. htom

htom Senior Member

The Kent Jones essay found with the Criterion DVD/Blu-Ray suggests an initial running time of 151 minutes. In any case, as Tati kept editing it down himself, and then he lost control of all his films and materials through bankruptcy, the original version may no longer exist. Can't recall if any home video version presents any of the trims as outtakes or deleted scenes.

Even "Vacances" features a sequence with a collapsing kayak that only shows up in its 1978 rerelease (and current versions only run 87 minutes while some sources claim an original length of 114 minutes; similarly, the original release is claimed to have a piano score only), so pinning down original versions may already be impossible.

Howard

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Thanks, Howard.

The music score on each film is important feature and quite fun. Although he used different composers, they all sound Tati's music!

17. phish

phish Jack Your Body

it's ok. few people get everything.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Mon Oncle is the easiest of Tati's films for the unfamiliar to appreciate, but I enjoy them all.

Regards,

19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

20. Yovra

My favourite Tati-films are in order:

1) Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot: a more 'ironic' view is there, but it's a perfect introduction to the introvert but impressive Hulot. The remastered version from 2009 is a marvel; crips images and a great way to get to know Tati's masterful vision!
    2) Jour de Fete: still very much under the influence of Laurel and Hardy and Buster Keaton, but the 'storyline' is already drawn out; this could have been a 20-minute short about an ambitious postman, but it turns into a nice atmospheric movie about a village. I love the colour-version!
    3) Mon Oncle: we meet M. Hulot at home and his brother-in-law tries to humour Hulot's sister (appearantly) to give him a factory-job. Great gags, the one with the cigarette-lighter at the end of the movie always cracks me up. More 'comments' on the alienation of the people in their surroundings; the house 'from the future' seems to be a hostile place to be.
    4) Playtime; one long comment on city-life and the fact there isn't really place for people. Hulot seems (and is!) lost for most of the time. Still; his precense alone can cause mayhem and chaos!
    5) Trafic: made with dutch director Bert Haanstra. It's a patchy film with a few nice jokes (the wheelcap!) and some breathtaking photography.

I haven't seen Parade yet. Is that a good movie?

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

Re : Jour de Fete , did they colourize the entire
    film ? i've just seen a vhs print with some tinted
    scenes , i've still not seen Parade , is there plans
    to issue it ?

thanks

22. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

23. htom

htom Senior Member

No, it was shot simultaneously in B/W and Thomsoncolor, but the color negative was never processed. I think one story says that the process for creating a color print was prohibitively expensive, another says the company went under before the negative could be processed (either way the process was very short-lived). In any case, a color print was finally struck in 1995. Frames I've seen seem to confirm the inferiority of the process. The B/W version featured some hand-tinting.

Howard

24. Yovra

Inferiority?!? I think it adds to the experience. It's hardly Technicolor, but it has the colours of an old postcard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.