Official Jacques Tati Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scope J, Aug 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yes, in fact the central characater IS Tati himself. A true labour of ove, this animated feature is well worth seeing and as close as we'll ever get to a 'new' Tati movie. Go see.

2. htom

htom Senior Member

For those who can do Region "B" Blu-Ray, BFI have just released "Les Vacances de M. Hulot" in an edition that contains both the original 1953 release version and the 1978 rerelease (and re-edit):

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare2/hulot-holiday.htm

No mention in the review about the different scores.

Howard

3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Every Tati-fan should watch "The Illusionist", directed by Sylvain Chomet. It's from a script from the great Tati himself; his daughter gave it to Chomet. It's an animated Tati-movie, very much in the style and feel of "Mon Oncle"
    Here's the Trailer. The colours in the trailer a quite dull, for some reason; the movie itself is beautiful and (as with all Tati-movies) the surroundings and decor are playing an important part in the story!
    [​IMG]

4. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

FYI, Tati had a disciple, Pierre Étaix. He made a string of movies in the '60s, working with Jean-Claude Carrière (who wrote many screenplays for Buñuel or Milos Forman but had also collaborated with Tati on the original story for The Illusionist). He even got an Oscar for best short movie in 1963. After a box-office failure, he resumed his career as a circus clown.

Étaix's movies were unavailable for many years due to a lack of interest from the director himself then to a rights dispute, which is why few people know about him. The movies were reissued last year in France.

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Mon Oncle makes a cameo in the animated film, BTW.

Ooh, did I like it! Makes me think, there really, really needs to be an Oscar category for, "Film Deserving Of Recognition That Can't Because Of The 600-Pound-Gorilla It's Running Against".

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

That's one of the funniest scenes in the movie! Tatischeff hiding in the cinema and seeing M. Hulot...
    I agree about the Oscar-thing. Shouldn't there be a "Animated Movie that isn't made by Dreamworks or Pixar". On the other hand; neither Tati's movies nor Chomet's beautiful visions are meant for the "Disney" crowd, I guess.
    Thanks for that tip!

7. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

L'Illusioniste is a great film, and a worthy addition to the Tati canon. As mentioned above, it was originally an unfilmed Tati script, and was due to be his next film after Mon Oncle, but he made Playtime instead. While there are changes in location, it remains faithful to the Tati original. I thought the "animated" Tati was brilliantly done, as was the recreated Edinburgh of the 1950s.

8. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

Actually, Tati had two projects in mind after "Mon Oncle", one with his usual collaborator Jacques Lagrange, named "Récréation", the other with Jean-Claude Carrière, "L'Illusionniste". He ultimately picked "Récréation" and chose to translate the title in English, hence "Play Time". Récréation has however two meanings, both the activity of playing and recess in school. We shouldn't forget about the school thing.

9. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

:righton:

10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member Thread Starter

The Illusionist is quite good ,
    anyone seen the Blu-ray ?

[​IMG]

11. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A reminder for the folks near Seattle:

Playtime is playing in 70mm at the Cinerama in the weeks ahead.

•Thursday 10/6 @ noon
    •Sunday 10/9 @ 11:00 AM

Matt

12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've got my ticket! Can't wait!

13. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

The great jazz artist Steve Lacy was a big Tati fan. I spent several days with Lacy in the late eighties and he talked quite extensively about Tati's films. I have "Playtime" on blu-ray and have seen a number of the others on DVD. Tati was amazing and I'll get any of his work Criterion (or anyone else) decides to make available in HD.

SBurke likes this.
  14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Saw this today (for the second time in my life) in 70mm at the Cinerama in Seattle, and it's such a great little film to see "big" like this, as there's so much going on in every shot. It's really a feast for the eyes.

For those unfamiliar with the technical side of the film, it was shot in 70mm, but not in as wide an aspect ratio, more like something around 2:1. I know the staff at the theatre, so when I arrived today I mentioned to the assistant manager, "You know, today's film is in a different aspect ratio than everything else you are showing in the festival, so you need to mask off the sides a little or not open the curtains all the way." "Oh, yeah, they've got that all under control." Lo and behold, they opened the curtains all the way, realized the error, tried about 5 times to make the proper adjustments, but it never quite looked right, so they finally just gave up and re-opened the curtains all the way, and that's where it sat.

Here are some screenshots for you Tati nuts on the forum, plus a time exposure shot allowing you to see the size of the screen as viewed from the back of the balcony. Note the exit doors on the sides of the screen.

The sound mix is stunning to hear in person. For much of the show, I sat right in the center of row two and just soaked in all that 5-channel screen sound, which is really something to behold. The original mag sound was very tastefully and skillfully converted to DTS, with the 5 screen channels still intact.

There was one shot that was clearly from duped material, that being the shot where Tati shakes a man's hand, breaking the man's glasses in the process. Everything else looked crystal clear from start to finish.

It plays again Sunday morning at 11 AM.

Matt

Attached Files:

Yovra and SBurke like this.
  15. Scope J

TCMHD has been airing
    a nice looking print of Jour de fête

16. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Saw it last night, in fact! It is a nice print.

17. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Another 70mm screening of Playtime, this time at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, NY.

They're showing it Friday night and Saturday afternoon. If your Saturday's free, they're showing Lawrence of Arabia that night as well, also in 70mm, and admission gets you into everything the day of - the museum, all films, everything. Not bad for $12.

18. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

guy incognito, Scope J and SBurke like this.
  19. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Yessir, put in a pre-order for that bad boy today. Pity it wouldn't be out for summertime as that's the ideal time for Tati, IMO, but M. Hulot never goes out of style.

guy incognito and Electric like this.
  20. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

21. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

22. Scope J

23. Scope J

24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Electric likes this.