Official Unplugged releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by count.d, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Am I understanding the thread correctly - officially released albums from MTV Unplugged concerts? In addition to others mentioned, there's also been Eric Clapton, Rod Stewart, and Tony Bennet ones released (although Tony has never really been plugged, for lack of a better term).

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Yeah, it's very good - I was just listening to it yesterday. Sounds very nice too.

Does anyone know why the LP has notes on the back cover in Spanish?

3. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Though the lists above refer mainly to MTV's UNPLUGGED series in the States, there was at least one other done outside the US -- in the UK. The Corrs' UNPLUGGED was released in both video and on CD back in late 1999. The CD remains unreleased here in the US, but is widely avaialble as an import. The DVD remains issued in all regions BUT region 1, however a VHS was released in NTSC in Canada.

CD on 143 Records/Lava/Atlantic and is catalog number 7567-80986-2. Produced by Mitchell Froom and The Corrs.

5. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes. There's a mostly complete list of legitimately issued ones earlier in the thread. The original questioner asked whether certain performers' appearances were available.

I noticed The Corrs was available on import; several other Hispanic bands also have imports available, even beyond the ones listed above.

I don't have a concrete reason why the McCartney LP notes are in Spanish, but when it first came out, people more knowledgeable than me about bootlegs got a chuckle out of it. Evidently, there was a time when certain bootleg LPs would have Spanish liner notes to make them appear as if they were legitimately from Spain or Mexico or some other Spanish-speaking country, when they were really manufactured in the good old U.S. of A. or Merrie Ole England.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

My understanding is that the McCartney Unplugged albums were genuinely imported from Spain. I don't have a vinyl copy(though a friend does), so I can't confirm this just yet. I'll have to track it down and check.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

The records were pressed in England. I've got one. I'm not sure where the covers were made, though :)

8. reechie

reechie Senior Member

If I remember correctly, the producers thought that EC was rather "difficult" during that session. They weren't happy with his look at the time (the long hair and beard), he refused to play his "classic" songs for the show, and played only a semi-acoustic guitar, so they pretty much only showed it once, and stuck it in the vault.

I remember those vinyl copies going for absolutely astronomical sums of cash when they came out, at least locally. Hardly seemed worth it, I never bought one, and those dealers seemed to have them in stock for a long time.

And now for my predictable Smithereens comment (apologies to those sick of hearing me bring up The Smithereens...), the guys released two songs from their MTV Unplugged appearance (from the second episode, the first if you don't include the pilot). "Behind The Wall Of Sleep" with Graham Parker on lead vocals appeared as the B-side of the "Yesterday Girl" cassette single from '90, and later on the Attack Of The Smithereens compilation. "A Girl Like You" appeared on the "Top Of The Pops" CD single from '91.

9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting info on the McCartney Unplugged LP - thanks.

10. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Excuse me if this has been covered in this thread (I haven't read it all) but has Stevie Ray Vaughan's unplugged performance been released in one form or another besides the tracks on the SRV box?

11. mjb

mjb Senior Member

That sure looks like a boot to me. I don't know the source for the first half of the disc, but the second half looks like the acoustic recordings done for one of Sting's "Timothy White Sessions" appearances... which sound excellent, by the way.

A non-CDR boot of good material for under $15... probably not a bad gamble.

12. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Reechie: I, for one, would never get sick of you posting about The Smithereens. I've always enjoyed their stuff. The disc you mention (AOTS)
    has some very cool rarities. I liked the ragged early "basement tapes" type stuff and their version of "The Seeker". I almost forgot: "You Really Got Me" with Ray and Dave Davies. It's a little bright sounding, but very cool to have. The band must have been beside themselves with joy to be playing that song with Ray and Dave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.