Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Joel Cairo, May 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

I have truly, **truly** taken a large step down the slippery slope...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3025063032&category=39783

But I have to tell you... I'm really excited (and quite surprised) to have won this... particularly at this price!!

(Though I think I may have to wait on Grover's line stage, now...)

Comments... support... or handy hints, anyone??

-Kevin

2. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Nice score! Looks like a pretty good price too!:D

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wow. You're now a Marantz guy.

Remind me to tell you about the best sounding little tubes for this sucker.

Congrats. Not a bad price!

4. Joel Cairo

Thanks, guys!

Hmm-- y'know, I had a funny feeling that the best tubes were probably **not** the ones that were in the pictures... :D

-Kevin

5. Joel Cairo

And here's a pic, for those who might not be able to follow the link...

-Kevin

Attached Files:

6. Steve Hoffman

Now you need a McIntosh 240 for that Boston sound!

7. Joel Cairo

Steve, you dog-- I'm still trying to figure out what to liquidate to pick **this** up!! :D

I do have a question, though-- would Grover's line stage be a good match for this, or would you recommend something vintage?

If it helps, I'm kind of going for "right", rather than necessarily just for "vintage", in terms of sound.

Thanks for any advice!

-Kevin

8. Steve Hoffman

Well, first, see how the Marantz sounds in your system. I can better advise you then. I like to keep vintage with vintage, but I have a bunch of systems. If I just had one, I would use the Grover line stage, it's fast and neutral. You might need a Marantz 7C though to match your 8B. And then:

The World's greatest tubed tuner; the Marantz 10B:

Attached Files:

• 10b.jpg
      10b.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
  9. Steve Hoffman

The Marantz 7C (best shot I could find in a pinch:)

Attached Files:

• 7c.jpg
      7c.jpg
      File size:
      15.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Steve Hoffman

Don't forget, you need to get a gold tube screen and the little black thingies that go over the bias screw adjusters on your 8B. Those things seem to be missing in action....

11. Joel Cairo

Steve:

Roger you on the missing parts... the black thingies seem to be one of those items that often comes up missing, but I'm not **so** concerned about that...

And, I've seen repro cages for sale, but I think I'd rather hold out for the real thing, since they don't seem to be all **that** rare, and (at least in my case) it certainly doesn't have to be in Mint condition.

I like the idea of the fast and neutral aspects of Grover's line stage, so that may be the way to go for me-- I think I remembered reading in the Archives that you had said that you (personally) liked the "vintage" aspect of the Marantz 7 pre, but that you felt that some might object to the coloration that it gave. I believe you said it was a bit on the "dark" side.

While I know that I can't match the beautiful variety of components that you've got heating up your stereo room, I guess my goal is just to set up a simple system that will give me some idea of what **you're** hearing when you do your work. Which is why I was shooting for "right" (on a budget), rather than strictly "vintage".

I'm glad to see I'm in the ballpark, at least!! :)

Thanks, bossman!

-Kev

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Kevin,

Yes, you have! :agree: Welcome! :wave:

Geez.... i almost bid on this auction. Glad i didn't. Congrats! :cheers:

-Jeffrey

13. Steve Hoffman

Well, if I were you, I would continue using your Dynaco preamp for a while and spend your next $$ on getting a good McIntosh example; a 240, or a pair of 30's or 60's. Worry about a preamp after that. By that time I think you will know if you want a Grover or a vintage...

14. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Wow!
    That seems a very good find at a decent price.
    Let us know how you make out with it. I am already drooling over it. Jeff

15. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Hello Joel and congrats on your purchase.

I wonder, when you think of what is involved in having tube ams, specially vintage, do you find it exciting?

I do, that's why I will always stay away from them :D

For me it is reliable solid-state amps. No nights wondering if the current tubes are worn, nor thinking there are some obscure tubes in Patagonia that can make the amp sound just a little bit better.

Steve, what you proposed is for Joel to get another vintage amp before getting a preamp?

16. Steve Hoffman

Pablo,

He has the "collector blood" in him. He just got a rare old Color TV so I know he is into all things tube.

I think it's more important for him to score a nifty McIntosh AMP to go with his Marantz than to get a preamp right now. Preamps are always easier to find than a great tube amp. Once he has the Mac as well, he can relax and concentrate on a neat preamp. That's how I would do it as well!

17. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Or paraphrasing Darth Vader, "You don't know the power of the old glowing side".

Enjoy your toys! It should be great to have a deep appreciation of so many kinds of gear, and the resulting intuitive feel for what is best for a particular kind of music.

Generation gap: a fellow translator, a youngster, just translated vacuum tube as the Spanish equivalent of "hollow tube". He had no idea of what a tube is. Had it been a British script, he would have used "faucet", no doubt about it.

18. Steve Hoffman

Don't feel bad, Pablo, a girl I was dating for a while took a look at my VAC amplifier and said "What does that box do with all of those lightbulbs on it?"

Good thing she was cute....

Attached Files:

19. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

wow... to them all.. my jealousy has risen to a new level!

20. Joel Cairo

Our kind host certainly has **me** pegged, alright... :)

And thanks for the good advice, Steve-- I will gravitate toward a good Mac set, next-- I've recently been turning over in my head the pros and cons of two -30s versus a 240, but I reckon I'll just settle on whichever looks the best when the time comes.

(By the way, I've found a local TV guy [40 yrs. repair experience] to take a look at "Betty"... I think the previous owner may have made some mods inside the CTC-5 chassis that aren't really recommended, so I'm gonna have her checked out. She should be up and running soon!)

To answer Proufo about tube amps-- it's the **sound**. I can't tell you what it's like to have that silky, elegant sound wash over you as you're listening to your favorite record or CD... and I've developed this feeling just from listening to my Dynaco tube system, which is nowhere near as accurate and musical as the Marantz will be. But I can tell you that once you experience that feeling of the music effortlessly appearing in front of you, there is **no** substitute for it!!

And I'm not really obsessive about the "Patagonian tubes" thing-- I do want to have nice vintage tubes [which **are** what the unit was designed for], but I'm sure once the amp is running properly, what comes out of it will thrill me enough!!

Thanks for all of the nice comments, too, gang-- and be sure to check the "Classifieds" section in the next day or so, because I'm gonna be unloading a few things to help ease the strain on my wallet... including my current Dynaco amp, with a few goodies thrown in!! :D

-Kevin

21. Steve Hoffman

Kevin,

Gosh darn it, don't sell your Dynaco yet. Wait and see if the Marantz "does it" for you before you unload a groovy amp like that!

22. Joel Cairo

OK, Steve-- I'll hold off. No sense shooting myself in the foot by being in a hurry.

And I've got to say, sir-- advice like this is why this forum is about the greatest place in the world to hang out!!

Everybody can still count on checking the Classifieds, though-- they'll still be some **other** good stuff there!! :)

-Kevin

23. Steve Hoffman

It's always nice to know that us nutballs are all over the place!

Kevin, you can always sell Dynaco and Marantz gear. It sounds great and people want it. Not everyone likes the Marantz tube sound; it's more accurate than a Dynaco or McIntosh and you might find it less than the romantic tubey sound of a slow amp. Or, you will love it at first "hear".....

24. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

LOL! Best one I've heard.

It's great to have a good, loooooong laugh at the start of a day.

One starts with "I can quit it any time" and ends with "Hello, my name is Joel and I'm a tube aficionado".

Seriously now, enjoy your purchase! Hope it gives you all you expect and more.

25. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi,

Hmmm...... sounds like craziness to me! :D I love to buy vintage gear but haven't been able to motivate myself to sell any yet. Ask my wife, she'll tell ya! :)

-Jeffrey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.