Oh Mercy! Did I just see Bob Dylan selling cars in a Super Bowl commercial?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wavethatflag, Feb 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Lotta makeup, good lighting, soft lenses, and a some defocus. Not "airbrushed" per se, but let's say it's as "optimized" as feature film lighting. Note that the pattern in his tie isn't very sharp, either.

2. George P

George P Notable Member

And wisely, he got rid of that creepy moustache.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

...and hair dye.

George P likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep. Dat too. While I think there are a lot of rock stars who won't do plastic surgery or any of that stuff, they pretty much all dye their hair -- Jagger, Richards, Dylan, McCartney, even Springsteen. I get it. Nothing says "old" like gray hair. (In my particular case, only my hairdresser knows for sure.)

5. I doubt it's about $ or stuff with Dylan. He got an offer
    yeah but Chrysler paid the USA back w interest and these cars are built here by folks getting wages and taxes as well as the advertising people So I'm cool.

davenav likes this.
  6. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Agree, still, I would have expected Dylan would take a more genuine approach to aging gratefully gracefully...

"Oh, well, a touch of gray, kinda suits you anyway"

7. And that is exactly why I live being bald and my head closely shaved. At 59 many thing I'm in my 40s and I don't do any updating. Good genes I guess. ;-)

8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

that is an insult to belgian beer.

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I always say: if you get into your 50s and you haven't lost any hair, you have no testosterone. ;)

Well, it doesn't have that "color not found in nature" hair dye that McCartney has. Dylan's still got a ton of gray, but not what you might expect from a 72-year-old guy. I keep enough gray in my hair to be real for my age, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be a snowbird.

10. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If you're correct they really should have hired Sammy Hagar or Kid Rock - or maybe David Allan Coe!

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Courtesy of MAD Magazine:

BobMad.jpg

;) Arnie

JoeF., Encuentro, Kevin j and 3 others like this.
  12. barking spider

barking spider Forum Resident

Did Bod told you that? Or did someone planted just a story in the press?

13. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

Somehow I missed this thread. Sadly. Although, I didn't miss the ad on Super Bowl night.

The issue of whether or not Chrysler is *really* an American company is beside the point, to me. If you listen to the ad, the focus is on the American worker: who's making Chryslers and how they have heart and soul, and where these cars are assembled, etc. So the fact that Chrysler is a multinational corporation just makes it like just about every other major corporation, no?

Just in terms of its effectiveness as an ad--well, we can all speak for ourselves. I find it just a bit hokey at times, but I also think that was its intent. It's a throwback (it has to be, I guess, when your pitchman is 73 years old!). But it's kinda effective overall: beautifully shot, and I, personally, still find Dylan very cool. And funny.

So even though I'm going to keep my Honda, I did enjoy watching the ad multiple times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.