Oh no! It's another WHO thread! - Who's Better, Who's Best

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Oh no! It's another WHO thread!

I just picked up a used copy of "Who's Better, Who's Best" on CD. I had this CD many years before but traded it in when the Astley mastered disc hit the streets. That was, of course, I knew better. But, now I have it back, and am wondering if this disc is sonically correct.

Comments?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I had the disc for a very short time. If memory serves, it does have a few edits on it?

Better sources everywhere else, but it stands good as a compilation disc.

3. Jason Smith

Jason Smith Senior Member

It sounds good, mostly. So much better than the new stuff. It's a good companion to Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy.

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The MCA version of WBWB features the edited versions of The Kids Are Alright and Won't Get Fooled Again. Apparently there's a Polydor version of this disc with the full-length versions of those tracks, though.

I think WBWB has the best CD version of Substitute out there. And it's got the stereo I'm a Boy... I don't think that's on any other CD, is it?

5. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Yes, the Polydor CD has the full length version of The Kids Are Alright and Won't Get Fooled Again. All my comments refer to the Polydor CD.

In my opinion, this is the best Best Of CD of The Who. (Combined with the Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy CD, it covers most singles). Not one duophonic track. Original mixes throughout.

It has the best sounding versions of the following tracks:
    My Generation
    Anyway Anyhow Anywhere
    The Kids Are Alright (3:05 version)
    Substitute
    I'm A Boy (original stereo mix; also on the Ultimate Collection with maximized noise-reduced sound)
    Happy Jack
    I Can See For Miles (original stereo mix)
    Magic Bus (mono version; of course the stereo mix on Meaty is better)
    Join Together (original mix)

The two Who's Next tracks (original mixes) do have more tape hiss than on any other CD I know of; probably the same mastering as the on the original Polydor Who's Next CD (which I do not have).

Who Are You is the single edit; other than that it sounds good.

See Me Feel Me is also the single edit.

Pictures Of Lily does not have the crescendo effect of the original single (and the Meaty version).

Track selection is questionable (nothing from Quadrophenia, no Relay, no Let's See Action, no Seeker), but those non-album singles which are included sound as good as it gets (and far far better than on the 1995 Very Best Of Cd and on the Ultimate Collection).

6. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

"Magic Bus" on my MCA "Who's Better, Who's Best" is in wide stereo and sounds wonderful (not as good as Steve's version on MBB&B, but still, very good)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.