Oh,no... Not another newbie turntable question!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Michael Shepherd, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Shepherd

Michael Shepherd New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for having me! Started collecting vinyl a couple years ago, after buying a refurbished low-end Technics turntable from KAB. Yes, I've since realized I overpaid. Recently bought a refurbished Pioneer PL-30K from Accessories 4 Less. Received with a broken dust cover, so sent it back for a Denon DP-300F which had motor issues. Swapped for another, same thing. I just ordered a Numark TT250USB on sale for $223 at Guitar Center, because it seems to be an ATLP120 clone, minus the cartridge. The recommended tracking for the included Groove Tool is 3.5g. Will the AT95E headshell/cartridge combo be a good fit?

2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Is that the one you currently own ? Then the answer is yes. But if you have to buy an assembly I'd go with a Technics headshell fitted with a Shure cart.

3. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

KAB/Kevin goes over the tables he sells and they usually work perfectly so I don't think you over payed. Obviously the other tables you bought were not as well gone over.
    The Numark table is not going to be as good as the low-end Technics table, you are going backwards.
    And tracking at 3.5g will not do your records any good, especially with a cheap cartridge supplied with a low end table.

Michael Shepherd likes this.
  4. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

5. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You are spending hundreds on broken stuff and gear that isn't as nice as what you'd like, sight unseen. Stop. Go to your local audio shop and buy a nice turntable in person. You surely must have dealers for Rega, Pro-Ject and or Music Hall in your town or just down the road a piece. You can thank me later.
    -Bill

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

L
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. Michael Shepherd

The only turntable dealers we have locally are Best Buy, Guitar Center, and a stereo shop that carries low end Sony, Teac, and Klipsch (Pro-ject version) players. I'm not going to spend $500+ on a record player, especially when my options are online or 2 hours drive. I've researched based on reviews, which is why I went for the Denon. The Audio Technica AT-LP120 overwhelmingly has the most positive on Amazon, with over 2,000 reviews. That's where I am - $300 tops for a turntable, and I look for deals. I went for the Numark because it seems to be based on the same platform as the AT120, and it was cheaper, and cartridge upgradeable. Guitar Center has a 45 day return policy, so that is also a factor. There are just as many, if not more negative consumer reviews on more expensive brands, so I see no reason for snobbery.

H8SLKC and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. Michael Shepherd

It has been a fine table. It just never looked like much, haha! The auto function just went out, which is why I started looking for something new and affordable. It appears the AT95E cartridge is at least as good as the AT3482p that came with the Technics. Thanks for your response!

9. harby

harby Forum Resident

Consider though, the average reviewer has likely never owned another turntable, or are people that found it an upgrade from their $79 ION USB record player.

10. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

If you're not willing to drive an hour to get a bit closer to Atlanta, maybe spend a few hours visiting several shops for a day trip, then you're not going to be well served by analog. If you buy locally, and an hour away is local, you'll get to hear items in person, get personal service with set-up and any after sale issues. Plus, there shouldn't be really any after sale issues if you buy the actual item set-up and demonstrated for you there. You'll get to see and hear that piece before you leave with it. You'll also begin to form a good relationship with someone who can help with future upgrades if you support their business as they support your interests. I think that you'll find spending $500 once for something worthy to be a way better move, both less expensive and less frustrating, in the long run.
    -Bill

11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

HiFi Guy, bozburn and H8SLKC like this.
  12. H8SLKC

H8SLKC Forum Resident

The Orbit is a really good table at a great price. The magic sauce though is the U-Turn customer service, which is far better than you'll get from any other company, save for some of the high-end boutique makers.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  13. Michael Shepherd

Got the Numark all set up! I was surprised the process was a bit more involved than with the Denon DP300F. No matter how many times I tried to set the tracking below the recommended 3.5g, I couldn't get the included Groove Tool cartridge (which I will eventually replace) to sound quite right. At that force, however, it presents very nice fidelity. Interestingly, it isn't a Hanpin model, unlike the comparable Audio Technica-LP120. The built-in amp is the only audio option, and seems to handle the job well. Absolutely no wobble with the platter and spins at perfect consistent speed. I like the upgrade capabilities, like the tonearm height adjustment and removable headshell. The build is solid - not TECHNICS solid - but I'm not using this for dj purposes. I got it for around $200 out the door, and with Guitar Center's 45 day return policy, I feel pretty good with the purchase. Now, it could all go to hell tomorrow, so we'll see. Looking at the Ortofon 2M Red as a possible cartridge replacement.

14. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

If you don't have one already, get one of these.

[​IMG]

A big help, I have since changed my headshell and cartridge to the AT100E which was a cheap price with headshell included and it sounds way better that the AT95E.

[​IMG]

Tracks at 1.4, this was pretty close so I kept it that way.

patient_ot likes this.
  15. Michael Shepherd

I just got one of these in last week. Very accurate! Thanks so much for the helpful advice on the cart. I'm preparing to get hosed on my turntable choice.

16. MikeInFla

17. Michael Shepherd

Yeah, I saw that! Nice Amazon review, by the way! A little out of the ball park now, price-wise.

18. MikeInFla

Yeah, and I meant NOT worth that high price, if it goes back to 70 or below snag it!

19. Michael Shepherd

Found this... $75 for headshell mounted cartridge. Turntable Needles

20. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

I was going to recommend Orbit as well, perfect price point for a decent tt.

21. MikeInFla

The replacement carts are pretty reasonable on Amazon. Finding one with already mounted to the headshell is awesome when you can get them cheap. But at this point all I would ever need would be the replacement. The good thing about the AT100E is that it can upgrade to the 120E or even better as the AT95E doesn't upgrade to the better models.

22. kitt1987

kitt1987 Forum Resident

If I recall with the AT100E or 120E cartidge you can even install an AT440MLB or 150SA stylus as the cartridges are essentially the same.

23. Michael Shepherd

Thanks a million for the AT100E advice. Sounds just great! Tracks fine at just over 2g. Bass is there, but the highs really seem to shine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.