Øivin Fjeldstad. Not a name you see every day but one of my favorite conductors ..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princesskiki

princesskiki Kiki's Mom

That CD is what I am referring to in my previous post above.

2. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Happy to be of service! Having listened to this a number of times since, it is amazing how well the Oslo Phil captures the spirit of this piece - braying donkey and all! The sound does distort in the louder passages which may not be just an artifact of the reel tape (and my transfer - see the PM I sent!). Last week I scored a Tchaikovsky 5th Camden Stereo LP of the Oslo Philharmonic (different conductor) and the recording has the same distortion at the loud peaks as does the tape of the Grand Canyon Suite. It would be fascinating to discover where these performances were recorded and under what conditions. These Living Stereo purple-label Camden discs must have been plentiful at one time, but they're not so easy to find these days - at least where I've been looking. Keeping my eyes peeled for more from this series.........
    -------- Chris

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  3. Urban Spaceman

Well, I found another Øivin Fjeldstad / Oslo Philharmonic / RCA Camden stereo LP last weekend.....
    this time its Cesar Franck's Symphony in D Minor. Once again a spirited performance with similar audio characteristics to others in this series. Thankfully my LP is in nice condition which is a minor miracle since the cover is coming apart at every side! It really is something how tough these LPs can be to track down, but well worth it! Cheers! ------------ Chris
    Oslo LS cover.jpg Oslo LS label.jpg

apileocole likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It's so funny the stuff that turns up that's worth pursuing. I mean, I've spent my whole life associating RCA Camden with junk. Not true apparently!

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Most of the RCA Camden series is actually good records, the rechanneled Stereo garbage the only bad ones. MLutthans and all, if you find any Living Strings or Living Guitars easy listening LP discs, get one and try it. Many sound amazing.

7. Urban Spaceman

Funny you should mention and bump this thread up again. I've spotted some of those Living Strings LPs and haven't yet taken the plunge, but I will courtesy of your recommendation! I have, however, scored a few more Fjeldstad recordings recently. Got a 7.5 ips open reel tape of the Peer Gynt with the London Philharmonic - lively and dynamic indeed! I also scored a mono LP of his performance of Brahms' 3rd Symphony that was included in that Readers Digest box. The LP was separated from the box (which I didn't see anyway), but it was mint so I picked it up. I'll have to be on the lookout for the stereo version. I wonder how often the Oslo Philharmonic was recorded for radio programs - somebody must have some off-air recordings. But that's pretty esoteric territory.
    ---------- Chris

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

His Grieg Peer Gynt and Piano Conc with the LSO (1958 Decca) are no48 cd in the Analogue Years Box Set
    A must for any lovers of the Broadhurst Gardens chaps
    Fantastic value for money,great early stereo sound.
    Good tape transfer
    Kingsway Hall ,Gordon Parry/Windebank and Reeve eng

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Reopened by request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.