OJC vinyl reissue question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyltimm, Mar 4, 2011.

1. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Yeah man, very hard to find originals in great shape that accordingly sound 'great'.

Tommyboy and e.s. like this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I did some comparisons between the GH analog mastered OJC vinyl and the OJC CDs, honestly I do not hear a huge difference; both are really great. I used to think the vinyl was much better, but that was without comparing them. And I prefer the CDs in several cases where the lp sounds too thin and "hollow".

2xUeL, zongo and patient_ot like this.
  3. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Yeah, that was my experience when I directly compared a few years ago.

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

You can't wrong with both. Best bang for your buck.

5. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Bought a recent pressing of Bill Evans's Interplay recently, along with Art Blakey's Caravan, and Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane. I don't have other pressings to compare these with, but they were all well-pressed. Those paper sleeves they use mean that every album comes with lots of little paper bits, but after a quick clean, they're nice and quiet. For albums I'm not familiar with, they're a great way to try something out.

patient_ot and Tommyboy like this.
  6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I had the Tape Project tape of Kenny Burrell and John Coltrane, the AP 45 rpm reissue of it was just as good. One incredible sounding reissue.

cmndrums and ssmith3046 like this.
  7. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Just picked up a newer OJC pressing of Wes Montgomery's excellent Full House, and it sounds quite nice to me. If these are digital transfers, they're doing a good job with them, and for $17, you can't beat the price.

8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

I've been thinking about picking up a few more old OJC titles... I remember you saying that you preferred Coltrane 7105 to the new AP mono reissue. Did you find any other titles to be standouts?

2xUeL likes this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Hey Joe, most of the George Horn mastered OJC vinyl is at the very least good, never heard one that sounded bad. 7105 is most definitely one I prefer on the old OJC as there is an egregious pressing error on the AP 33 rpm vinyl that is not on the AP SACD; the SACD is now my go to version.

If you have any specific albums in mind feel to ask or PM me, that would help jog the memory more :) OJC reissue catalog is enormous.

2xUeL likes this.
  10. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks my friend...you're right, it's a huge catalog! Will catch up with you at some point.

11. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Agreed, the catalog is just massive. I stand behind a couple I have that come to mind: the copies of Quiet Kenny and The Cats that I have are outstanding. I've heard many others and most sound great. The only exception I can think of is When Farmer Met Gryce: fantastic except for a few very short dropouts here and there that aren't on the OJC CD. :shake:

johnnypaddock likes this.
  12. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Would love to get my hands on A Garland of Red and All Kinds of Weather. :love:

Fender Relic likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

They're out there. I found A Garland of Red at Academy on West 18th for $10 a few months ago.

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Another one where I prefer OJC CD to the OJC vinyl is George Russell's Ezzthetics. Not really a mainstream album, but the music is sublime, I highly recommend it

bigtyke66 and johnnypaddock like this.
  15. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Just found a sealed OJC copy of A Garland of Red on Discogs!!

Tommyboy likes this.
  16. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Well, turns out the CD beats the vinyl for A Garland of Red. :cry: Same thing as When Farmer Met Gryce: sounds absolutely stunning except for a spot in the middle of side 2 that suffers from serious tape degradation (that they must have made sound a lot better during the digital mastering of the CD). (With When Farmer Met Gryce the issue is that there is a period of brief dropouts that aren't present on the CD.) No wonder this album hasn't been reissued much; it's so good apart from this.

17. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I think this is the image you are referring to? Also from a 1986 OJC (Funky).
    I wrote to Phil Delancie to ask about this, he replied:

I started in Jan of 1986, at which point the mastering engineers were myself (replacing Gary Hobish) and George Horn.

I haven't cut a disc since 1999, so a lot of the details are now fuzzy. Unfortunately I don't remember making a scribe of that kind, nor do those initials ring a bell. Sorry I can't be of more help. The person who would possibly know would be George Horn

I wrote George Horn too, no response as yet.

[​IMG]

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Are you sure you got the US version? It is very common you get the German release on discogs even if its listed as US so be observant.

19. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

What is the error?

20. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

I'm certain...will check the details when I get home.

The main issue with A Garland of Red is there are audible issues with the master tape on the song "Constellation"...lots of high freq dropouts that aren't on the CD...too bad because that's pretty much the only issue. The pressing itself is insanely quiet, as most OJCs are.

It's funny cuz with When Farmer Met Gryce it's the same thing in the sense that the CD doesn't have the issues that the vinyl does. I can see how they might fix high freq dropouts digitally by bumping the freq range that has issues intermittently with automation while possibly applying noise reduction simultaneously, but I have no idea how they can fix full dropouts digitally...?

21. 2xUeL

2xUeL Forum Philosopher

Not in front of my collection ATM but I'm certain the OJC copy I currently have of Quiet Kenny has a similar etching. I'm also certain it's an 'early' pressing ('86 I presume) because it came with the rectangular sticker on the shrink.

22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

There is a thumping that occurs exactly every revolution on the second track, I've heard it on at least three copies and others have reported it as well. It is not present on the SACD (either redbook or DSD layer) they mastered at the same time, OJC CD or George Horn mastered OJC vinyl.

I've heard that same sort of thumping that occurs every revolution on other pressings, usually vintage. Often there is no visual defect to the naked eye, it's in the grooves. Sometimes it is due to a tiny raised "pimple" sort of area on the vinyl that might span several revolutions.

There are other pressing defects that AP have never bothered to correct like a scratching sound that occurred every revolution for about 20 seconds on Duke Jordan's Flight to Jordan 45 rpm. I love that album, so I went through at least five copies from all the vendors (except Music Direct) and found it on all of them. Not on the SACD Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray mastered.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
    Tommyboy likes this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Thanks. I've got to pull out my copy. I don't own an OJC pressing of this title.

I own the AP Jordan LP too. I do have a Liberty/UA pressing from the late 70s as well.

Good to know.

24. edb15

edb15 Senior Member

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Another thread revival here.

Over the past few months I've been picking up older OJC pressings used when I can find them at good prices.

However, my introduction to OJC vinyl a few years back were the "new" OJCs being sold in stores pressed under the auspices of Concord Music Group. In the last year or so, it looks like more of these "new" pressings are being released with more in the pipeline based on preorder listings at different online stores I've browsed.

Anyway, I thought something I've found on the more recent batches of these "new" OJCs might be of interest here.

Some of them appear to be mastered by Anne Marie Suenram and Well Made Music. You can find this info in the runout grooves of some of these OJC reissues done by Concord from 2015 onwards.

On the Well Made Music mastered ones, look for "WMM" in the deadwax. For Anne Marie Suenram, look for a little triangle symbol with tails coming off it. I could be wrong, but from perusing the websites of these two engineers/mastering houses, it looks like they primarily work in the digital domain.