Ok, I love Bowie's 80's music. Who else does on here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by erocky, Nov 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. erocky

erocky Senior Member Thread Starter

I have all of Bowie's albums. The 80's stuff has always had a soft spot in my heart. I recently picked up the 12 inch remix of Underground. It is an interesting song. Clearly a lot of effort went into it. On my computer, I combined the remix with the instrumental version and edited out some of the more cheesy parts.
    I feel like Bowie did some really good stray songs for soundtracks in the 80's.
    Cat people putting out fire
    Absolute Beginners
    This is not America
    Underground
    When the wind blows

Thoughts?

2. DBMethos

DBMethos Forum Resident

Well, Scary Monsters is clearly a classic that is technically an 80s release, but I know most don't associate it with that decade. Let's Dance is a very good pop record. Tonight is bleh as an album but contains some great singles. I've always liked Never Let Me Down despite its reputation, but the production is pretty bland. Tin Machine was a necessary part of Bowie's musical recovery, but it's not an innately listenable album. That leaves the soundtrack releases (Absolute Beginners, Labyrinth, Cat People, Falcon and the Snowman, When the Wind Blows) as proof that he was still capable of quality material, but overall I think you have to go all the way to Buddha of Suburbia to find the "interesting Bowie" again.

3. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

I do, but with reservations.

dennis the menace likes this.
  4. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Lets Dance is my only Bowie Studio album.

Purple likes this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

It wasn't the best decade for him but it hardly deserves the derision that it typically gets. I tend to like it, maybe because it was my first exposure to Bowie as a young teenager. My 80's Bowie top 10:
    1. China Girl
    2. Loving The Alien
    3. This Is Not America
    4. Absolute Beginners
    5. Prisoner Of Love
    6. Cat People (Putting Out Fire)
    7. Let's Dance
    8. Heaven's In Here
    9. Neighborhood Threat
    10. Blue Jean

JimC, PH416156, Moshe and 3 others like this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I love Let's Dance. I'm not very familiarized with the rest of his work during the 80's, though.

Purple likes this.
  7. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Love Scary Monsters,Let's Dance and Never Let Me Down. :love:

Moshe, alexpop and theMess like this.
  8. I love Let's Dance, Scary Monsters but thats it

905 likes this.
  9. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

I love '80s Bowie. That's how I got into his work. I love the Giorgio Moroder version of "Cat People (Putting Out Fire)", Let's Dance singles, "This is Not America", the Labyrinth songs, and "Absolute Beginners" is one of my favourite songs of the '80s.

Some terrific videos, too, from that era.

10. davers

davers Forum Resident

I really enjoy Bowie's 80s work. Between album tracks and soundtrack work, he was still writing and singing some really great songs at least up until Tin Machine.

My "go to" Bowie CDs tend to be the first Virgin remasters of Let's Dance, Tonight and Never Let Me Down, which contain bonus soundtrack songs (these three reissues preceded the 1999 Virgin remaster series, which dropped the bonus songs).

I actually consider Let's Dance to be pretty groundbreaking. The amazing combination of Bowie's songwriting and vocals, Nile Rogers' funk guitar and production, and Stevie Ray Vaughan's tasty guitar work is pretty magical - my favorite Bowie album top to bottom.

And then there's Scary Monsters..."Ashes To Ashes" (full length album version) was my true Bowie gateway song as a teenager. Probably my favorite Bowie song overall!

JimC likes this.
  11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

post-"Scary Monsters", i consider the Baal EP, the Moroder Cat People and Absolute Beginners (the title track only) to be the finest moments in Bowie's lost decade. "Let's Dance" is the most consistent of the albums and strong EPs can be assembled from the generally unfavoured "Tonight", "NLMD" and "Tin Machine". that said, these 'essentials' would amount to around two hours of material, in stark contrast to the prolific '70s when he rarely made a misstep.

stef1205 and johnnyyen like this.
  12. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The Baal EP may contain his finest vocal performances. Amazing stuff.

drasil likes this.
  13. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

'Scary Monsters' and 'Tin Machine' are great, obviously.

I really like about half of "Let's Dance".

I play "Tonight" once in a blue moon. Don't hate it, but rarely feel the need. Not a terrible record, though.

"Never Let Me Down"....meh.... dated production values overwhelm the few decent tunes hidden there.

"Baal" is quite good.

Not his best decade but plenty of good things to be found if one looks.

richard a, theMess and trumpet sounds like this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Aside from 'Scary Monsters' and 'Let's Dance', both of which are excellent albums, these are my favourite songs:

The Drowned Girl (Baal)
    Loving The Alien (Tonight)
    Blue Jean (Tonight)
    Underground (Labyrinth)
    As The World Falls Down (Labyrinth)
    Absolute Beginners (same)
    Time Will Crawl (Never Let Me Down)
    Never Let Me Down (same)
    Prisoner Of Love (Tin Machine)
    Crack City (Tin Machine)
    I Can't Read (Tin Machine)
    Under The God (Tin Machine)
    Bus Stop (Tin Machine)
    Baby Universal (Tin Machine 2)
    One Shot (Tin Machine 2)
    You Belong In Rock And Roll (Tin Machine 2)
    Shopping For Girls (Tin Machine 2)
    Goodbye Mr. Ed (Tin Machine 2)

Actually, Bowie made MANY great things in the eighties. However, it was very inconsistent and in direct contrast to the previous decade of great-albums-on-a-string. His best songs from the eighties are just as great as the material he made in seventies, in my opinion.

e.s. and theMess like this.
  15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

'Without You' & 'Time Will Crawl' are good, but so many others^ as well...

16. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I think it is all underrated, though I could live without about half of NLMD.

davers likes this.
  17. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I like 80s Bowie. That was my first exposure. Not ever gotten familiar with Tin Machine.

18. Bowie was very big in the '80s.
    Lots of good posts in this thread already, but we must mention Under Pressure with Queen and Dancing in the Street with Mick Jagger.
    Under Pressure being, in my opinion, one of the top Classic Rock songs of the decade.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    JimC, DBMethos, davers and 2 others like this.
  19. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Great lists. :righton: Many pop acts would love to have this many good songs, let alone coming after the amazing 70's that he had.

davers, Karnak and MHP like this.
  20. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I think some of Bowie's best 80s work was his stint on Broadway as The Elephant Man (1980-1981), as the aging vampire in The Hunger (1983), his c0-lead role in the Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence (1983), his turn as a pirate
    in 1983's Yellowbeard ("shall I meet you in the pump room, sir?"), and his Pontius Pilate in The Last Temptation of Christ (1988).

Musically, he bookends the 80s nicely with Scary Monsters and Tin Machine.
    Otherwise, not so much.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    audiotom likes this.
  21. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I get why David Bowie decided to shift some units in the Eighties - he was a financial basket case. I think that this version of Bowie is such a sore spot for long-term fans because it was such a departure and he was so blatant about it...stadium shows - check, duet with Tina Turner - check, mass-appeal fashion - check, accessible but tepid tunage through three albums - check, check and check... strange days indeed for fans of the guy who " took it all too far ". It seemed to have taken it's toll on him as well - the Tin Machine overcompensation sent him spinning off into another "lost decade" for many. Where he once caught the wave and rode it seemingly without effort, he seemed to labouriously chase trends during the Nineties rather than march in the vanguard, never quite getting the timing right.

D.D.

GreenFuz and e.s. like this.
  22. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

not a huge fan of the 80s material but last weekend i spun the GLASS SPIDER dvd which has a good mix of material and sounds great.

goodboyfred likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree. I think it became fashionable to attack 80s Bowie because "Let's Dance" was so popular - I think many people assumed "popular" meant "sellout".

In the 90s, I dated a woman who loved Bowie but hated 80s Bowie even though she'd barely ever listened to that material. Her older brothers essentially "brainwashed" her to believe "Let's Dance" was crap.

I got her to listen to it with more open ears and she liked it!

The 1983-1987 run was super-spotty, but there's still some good stuff in there, and I loved "Tin Machine"!

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I really loved the GST. Sure, the stuff with the dancers was silly, but musically, I thought it was pretty good - too synth-heavy at times, but still good.

And he pulled out some really cool rarities: "All the Madmen", "Big Brother", "Sons of the Silent Age", "Time", etc. How can fans hate a show with those songs involved???

Tingman likes this.
  25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Problem with Bowie's 80's output is that you can't help but compare it with what he did the decade before. Sadly, it simply isn't the same quality even if some of it is OK.

Echo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.