OK, So How Do You Pronounce "Benoit"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dat56, Mar 24, 2013.

1. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

So like, if he got some rare unheard of testicle disease, and like, the docs studied it and named it after him..
    err..

would they call it...
    uhhhh..............

Never mind.

2. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

lafreniere

la fra near - US
    la fra nay - French

or something like that :wiggle:

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

According to David's FAQ:

http://benoit.com/faq/

he prefers that you pronounce it "ben-WAH".

4. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

My favorite French to English butchering...

The folks of Versailles, Kentucky pronounce their town "Ver-Sales". I'm sure someone will correct me but it should be more like "Ver-sigh".

6. Right!

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I grew up with more than a few Benoits that pronounced it "Benoyt", as someone pointed out above. But that was the 70s just before some folks became less concerned with becoming Anercanized and more concerned with pronouncing their surnames in a manner consistent with the country where the name originated, in this case "Ben-wah", as someone else pointed out above, reducing my comment to a needless personal anecdote.

I'll add that you can learn much about how to pronounce names of French-Canadien origin by watching the NHL.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    ParloFax likes this.
  8. Mikay

Mikay Active Member

Unlike Beloit, WI... which is prounounced "Bel-OYT". Frank Zappa famously said of Beloit, "Beloit...sounds like a nickel being dropped in a toilet".

Steel Horse and ParloFax like this.
  9. ^^^But it's a natural phenomenon, to assimilate foreign names to the local phonetic system.

But what does drive me bunkers is this:

- The name Cadillac is a French name, of the founder of the city of Detroit (le détroit), and the old deluxe car maker, heardquartered there, named its product after him. It is pronounced in French "Cadi-yac" (two "l"s together always sound like that in French).

- The Americans/Anglosaxons have assimilated it to their own pronounciation system, with a hard, dental "L". No problem here.

- However, I don't think there is more than one Quebecer of French extraction out of 750 000 who will pronounce it as it should be in their language, that is by recognizing it as a French name; they opt instead to pronounce it like the name of the Anglosaxon-manufactured product... I tell them (my own compatriots) that they don't do the same with Chevrolet (a name of Swiss-French origin), and they shrug the argument off...

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Bob Dialin

11. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

is this a new lynyrd skynyrd release?

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Totally off thread but I think this happens more often when the mispronunciation becomes a "brand". In addition to Cadillac, take the NBA franchise Boston Celtics (which should be pronounced Kell-tics but is pronounced Sell-tics by everyone, including the team itself). Of course there are always exception. The German shoe/sportswear company, Addidas, is pronounced "Ah-dee-dass" in the U.S. but as "Add-e-dass" in Australia.

ParloFax likes this.
  13. My French spouse's first name is Alain. Here in the States, some of the pronunciations are Eileen, Elane, and the best is Alien. The correct pronunciation is Ah-LAIN. You can hear it correctly pronounced here under the French pronunciation: http://www.pronouncenames.com/search?name=Alain .

Dave 81828384 likes this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Except for «ville».

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

French: la freh -nee -yerr.

JL6161 likes this.
  16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Ben-wah

Thats how my classmate pronounced his last name through high school.

17. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

Ben-waah

I'm from and grew up in Thibodaux, Louisiana; southwest of New Orleans along Bayou Lafourche. I had many friends, and a few girlfriends, growing up named Benoit, and I have a Brother-In-Law named Benoit. It's Ben-waah.

~Phil

18. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

As in the city, day-twah

19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

20. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Any related to Tab Benoit? He's a helluva guitarist/singer.

21. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

!
    So, I'm curious - How does Donovan do on "Jennifer Juniper"?

22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Pretty well. The only really glaring Anglification is "trawn-keel" instead of "trawn-key" (tranquille). If he threw in the conventional sung extra half-syllable ("trawn-key-yuh"), it would sound a bit more like French singing. I kind of like that he's laid-back Scot about it rather than going for FRENCH ACCENT, since that tends to result in Pepe Le Pew-ishness.

Apropos of nothing: "Jennifer Juniper" was my first French lesson. The Singing Nun album was my second, and it resulted in my junior high French I teacher being totally mystified about why an American 7th grader would speak French with a Belgian accent.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    HarborRat likes this.
  23. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Michigan is kind of mixed up in the way its many French-settled cities are pronounced by the locals. In the Detroit region, most of them are pronounced in the Midwestern American parlance, i.e. Detroit (Dee-troyt), Livenois (Liver-noyz), Gratiot (Grae-tee-ot), etc. But in Northern Michigan, particularly in the Upper Peninsula, most of the towns are said in their French pronunciations, i.e. Sault Ste. Marie (Soo-saint-maree), Mackinac Island (Mack-in-aw). I guess it's just culturalism. The northern areas are more sparsely populated, so the natives haven't changed many of the pronunciations from the time of their founding, while the Detroit area was a major melting pot of cultures (and dialects) during the 20th century. That's just my theory though.

24. MadCajun

MadCajun Forum Resident

I never met Tab, the old girlfriends I don't know, and the Brother-In-Law says they are related somewhere back in history, but nothing he can claim. He's met him and they've talked, but they're not related by anyone they each know in the past few generations.

PHILLYQ likes this.
  25. Oui!!