OK, So How Do You Pronounce "Benoit"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dat56, Mar 24, 2013.

1. waterface

waterface Forum Resident

What about John Wetton?

2. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Nobody from Detroit pronounces Gratiot that way. (It's GRA-****) :) (rhymes with pit)

3. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Hahaha, I've actually heard someone call it that before, but I thought they were just kidding around. Good to know.

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Yeah. And no 'z' in Livernois, either. Liver-noy.

5. What about time Yes lead singer Benoit David? Does he have dyslexia? Does he come from a country where they drive on the other side of the road? Is he from Dez Moynes, iowa? Inquiring minds want to know!

6. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

The one thing that puzzles me is how come Americans pronounce the French name
    Claude....as "clod" and not the correct pronunciation " k-low-d"....?????

7. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I know a family here whose last name is Dickgrabber, but they pronounced it as "duh-grab-bare" lol

razerx and hi_watt like this.
  8. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Ben-oit. If they want me to pronounce it "wah", they're going to have to spell it correctly.

9. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I learned how to properly pronounce "Benoit" early in life because my 5th grade summer school teacher was Richard Benoit.

10. conan1982

conan1982 Forum Resident

I think here, in the New York City area at least, we'd say Ben-oit ... "oit" as in dirt = doit

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  11. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

My ex-girlfriend, an American, had the surname Benoit, pronounced ben-wah. Like the balls.

Egg Crisis likes this.
  12. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

One of the many wildlife critters who inhabit my property or visit here regularly leave gratiot in various places around my property.
    Is suspect it is the racoons.

I remember in the past, in a bad attempt at humor, saying that it would be interesting if Benoit was a first name as well, and given to someone whose last name was Bawls.
    My wife, who in my youth was quite entertained by my sense of humor, now merely rolls her eyes.

13. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Old post I know but hilarious if true. My friend's ex-wife knew a girl (might've even worked with, I can't recall) who's surname was Assman, but it was pronounced "Oz-mahn". I always though..."uh, nice try ass-man". No way you could ever get away from that! I'd have to have my name legally changed. Other worst surname of all time... My dad is a physician but no longer practices medicine. Back in the 80s he had a drug rep whose last name was F.A. Double G. (spelled out this way so as to not offend). We held on to that business card for years. Another name I'd definitely would've had to have changed if it were mine!

Duophonic likes this.
  14. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

My favorite Americanization of French is Faneuil Hall in Boston (rhymes with "Daniel" not "dan-OO-ee" as I expected)...not that we in Toronto are in any position to criticize, since we have a neighborhood called Roncesvalles (pronounced RON-siz-vales). I don't even know how the French would pronounce that, despite 10 years of French training. (G)ron-say-VAL, maybe?

15. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

My all-time favorite NBA center next to Joe Barry Carroll

Duophonic likes this.
  16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The blues singer is Tab Ben-wah. The town NW of me with a radio station that still plays stuff like Barbra Streisand and the theme from The Rockford Files is Beh-noyt, KS.

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's actually not "Ben-wah" but rather "be-nwah" as the emphasis is on the wrong part of the name otherwise. The first syllable is pronounced the same as the "de" in "denial" but replace the "d" with a "b".

"be-nwah"

18. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I saw an X one time and it said the great Taylor Swift, who’s from Reading, pronounces it as if referring to a book, as well. Probably not true, lol.

19. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

how do Canadians say ZZ Top?
    eh?

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The correct French pronunciation would be "beuhnwah"