DCC Archive Ok, this is funny...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lukpac, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member Thread Starter

Just got Rock of the 70s vols 2&5. The credits:

"Mastered At STEVE'S PLACE West Hills, California"

Hehe.

Also, for the discography:

"Produced and Engineered for Compact Disc by STEVE HOFFMAN"

2. Unknown

Unknown Guest

And? Layla? Spill, spill!

3. lukpac

Well, I haven't done an in depth listen yet, but...

On first listen, it sounds fine, but it really doesn't seem much better than either the Poldor 2 CD version or the one on "Cream Of". I'll report more later...

4. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

It's a good sounding disc isn't it?! I like Uriah Heap-The Other Side Of Midnight a lot. Where are songs like THIS on your "so called" Classic Rock FM stations, huh?
    Layla sounds good...but as I said in Rock Of 70s thread...nothing of a "drastic" improvement. Does your CD say CEMA Special Markets, Luke?

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Allright, youse guys - stop the torture!

Are these in print? What are the catalogue numbers? Record labels?

Spill yer guts!

(I never seem to find the good stuff, ya know? Just stuff like the Abbey Road Work - and you really get *worked* over!)

Thanks in advance for the info!

:)

6. lukpac

Not sure if they are "in print" persay, but they are easy to find.

DZS 063 (vol 2)
    DZS 066 (vol 5)

Yeah, says CEMA Special Markets.

As I told Steve, I think My Back Pages sounds better here than either the box set or the remix CD. A bit fuller and with a nicer vocal.

As I also told Steve, I actually prefer China Grove on this disc to the DCC gold one. The stereo image isn't quite as wide, and there's a bit more hiss, but the extra EQ (which was no doubt on the copy tape Steve was given) really helps, IMO. The DCC gold just sounds too "AM radio" for my tastes.

Yeah, nice discs. The only problem I noticed was some nasty azimuth problems with Time Has Come Today, probably caused by a bad copy along the way somewhere. I'd be curious as to how the original master sounds for that (I've got a copy of one of the edits, and it doesn't have that problem).

7. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Steve told me the "Steve's Place" was just a joke when they listed the mastering.

8. lukpac

Which is why it's funny!

:D

9. Doug Hess Jr.

Doug Hess Jr. Senior Member

Originally released as "Reelin' In The Years" in 1991 on the SANDSTONE label.
    CD Sandstone Music D233000-2
    CD Sandstone Music D233001-2
    CD Sandstone Music D233002-2
    CD Sandstone Music D233003-2
    CD Sandstone Music D233004-2

Then re-released as Rock Of The 70s with the songs in different order and other changes like switching from the shorter single version of "Time Has Come" by the Chambers Brothers to the longer version.

1995 CD DCC DZS 062
    1995 CD DCC DZS 063
    1995 CD DCC DZS 064
    1995 CD DCC DZS 065
    1995 CD DCC DZS 066

You can still find them on www.half.com and even Amazon and some places were carrying some of them. I've got 4 and 5 of the Reelin' series and all 5 of the Rock of the 70s. No Steve Hoffman collection should be without them.

[ October 22, 2001: Message edited by: Dough ]

10. lukpac

Are you sure they're from 1995? My copies say:

P 1991 CEMA Special Markets
    C 1992 DCC Compact Classics

BTW, I noticed on the discography DCC was called "Dunhill Compact Classics". I believe the current/proper term is "DCC Compact Classics". Yeah, the acronym includes itself, much like PINE (PINE is not ELM).

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

DCC Compact Classics is now correct but originally it was called "Dunhill Compact Classics." For more information, please go to Doug's FAQ.

12. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

Mine seems like a similar issue to yours, 1991 CEMA and 1992 DCC. I noticed on, I think the DCC disc "Groove On" vol.2, it was Sony Special Markets. Does DCC make these for other companies or is it a distribution deal? :confused:

13. Unknown

Unknown Guest

GNU's Not Unix!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.