OK, who's got the new WHO SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Saw this one at Best Buy today for $19.99. One disc single-layer SACD set that included the tracks from both of the recently re-released "My Generation" discs.

I held off on picking it up to get some feedback from you guys. Luke, got that SACD player yet?

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've got an SACD player, but I'm in no hurry to pick this one up...

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Ditto. If it's like the redbook Deluxe Edition, no way I go near it...

ED:cool:

4. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Picked it up last night but haven't had too a chance to do a detailed comparison w/ the 2CD set. The SACD is not a hybrid. First impression of it is that it's not mastered as loud or as hot as the redbook (a good thing). Has more of a laid back feel and it is easier to really crank it. I'll post more when I can do a proper A/B comparison.

Chris

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

"I've got an SACD player, but I'm in no hurry to pick this one up..."

Luke,

Why is that? It seems like it was remastered so the sonic game may be much improved...

6. Mike V

Mike V New Member

It's the mix, LeeS. A lot of people hate it. I enjoy it for what it is, which got me flamed in a thread some time ago. Watch out, 'cause people are passionate about this one!

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I don't think Luke was crazy about a significant number of the new stereo mixes. I am curious but cautious myself.

Regards,

8. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

9. Chris M

I'm no fan of the modern remixes Talmy did but after a cursory comparison the SACD is certainly better than the redbook layer.

Chris

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Well, there should be no flaming this time, Mike, and sorry if there was the first time. But the fact remains the mix was terribly botched; rather than just make a basic 3-track mix typical of the era--the sensible thing to do--someone decided to *modernize* it in a way that comes off as just plain unnatural. That, and a few other boo-boos covered in the original thread, but no point going there. Put it this way: when Steve's Dobie Gray comp comes out, I know we'll get a mix that's faithful to what you might have gotten in 1965, only much cleaner, and with that special "Steve something" that makes his work so enjoyable to hear. That's what MY GEN should have been this time: just a clean, honest mix. I can enjoy it a little in very small doses--any stereo is better than none, I guess--but most of it just doesn't work. That was the point Luke and I were making, but certainly didn't want it to get personal. Besides, any trouble this time and we'll all be in the Gort dock.

I am curious to hear reviews of this SACD installment, but can't imagine the mix has changed at all and that's exactly what Luke and I--and others who have major league problems with this one--expect. Unless by some miracle a sensible soul went back and did a competent remix, getting an SACD copy isn't going to make us any happier. The added resolution just won't save those mixes. Steve could--piece of cake for him--but as he wasn't asked, I'm not optimistic...

Oops, I think Chris just answered my question...same mixes. So much for that.

ED :cool:

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

I'm glad I stopped by here before I grabbed this one. So does this statement sum the disc(s) up:

No noise reduction, loud-but not clipping, terrible mixing?

12. Ken_McAlinden

For some, yes. It really varies by track, though, and Luke's earlier review covered it well. The worst mix for me is "I Don't Mind" which has some terribly unnatural sounding flange effect on the vocals. They should almost change the track title to "We Don't Mind". The saving grace appears to be that for the halfway decent mixes and the two original mono mixes, DSD transfers seem to have been done from analog tapes without the PCM mastering squashing of the redbook CDs. I hope that's the case as Chris' comments seem to suggest.

Regards,

13. Chris M

Has anyone done a spectrum analysis of the 2CD set? It seems like it was mastered pretty loud too me. At least the mix of I Can't Explain was OK IMO......

Chris

14. Ken_McAlinden

Chris - check out the "fun with waveforms" thread. I compare both masterings of the song My Generation (stereo and mono) from the Deluxe Edition CD to other versions. They are both dynamically squashed, but not as much as the "Ultimate Collection" version.

Regards,

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Keep in mind the tambourine is missing on the stereo mix of I Can't Explain...

16. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

I picked this up at lunch but haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. The "Mastered By Erick Labson" credit is still in the book, but all the credits seem carried over from the 2-CD book so who knows what the real story is.

The booklet is an interesting attempt to carry over most of the graphical elements from the 2-CD digipack into a conventional jewel case/booklet design. Looks to me like they got most things in there (both covers, the tape boxes, etc.).

I appreciated the $19.99 price -- that's $7 cheaper than Amazon and cheaper than most places sell the 2-CD. Since Talmy mentioned that he mixed this down to DSD and PCM at the same time, I'm hoping this is a more "honest" representation of the (debatable quality) mixes. We'll see.

Ryan

17. GabeG

GabeG New Member

I've got it and it doesn't sound signifigantly different then my friend's cd version (on my system). Maybe a little smoother.

Yes the CD is louder. I haven't looked to see if anyone has posted waveforms about whether the cd is overly compressed. If its just cut loud, I wouldn't hold that against the cd - remember loud is good as long as there isn't any (or too much) compression. If something is cut loud (and not compressed) you are getting the advantage of using more bits.

Anyway, not a night and day difference, but better than the cd.

- Gabe

18. Ken_McAlinden

The CD is compressed. I would say overly. Dynamic range is on the order of 30-35% less than previous releases.

Regards,

19. Mike V

Mike V New Member

No need to apologize! I totally understand since this was one of the most heralded reissues. How many years of anticipation, building to this... Honestly, the maximizing bothered me more than the mixes. Either way you look at it, they messed it up.

It makes me think what will happen once the Beatles are remixed and released on hi-res. I can only imagine the sour faces (mine among them), guaranteed if history is any guide.

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The original singles/old LP mixes of the first three singles are the ones to own, because on the Deluxe Edition of My Generation, all are different.

1)I Can't Explain-stereo version missing the tambourine
    2)Anyway Anyhow-different vocals, French EP version
    3)My Generation-stereo version missing guitar overdubs

And the rest of the mixes only have the guitar separated on the right channel(bass, drums, and vocals all mixed on left channel).

Very disappointing. Although it sounds, in general, less distorted than the mono version, it's still not what one would hope for. The bonus tracks are good to have, though.

21. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I agree with Luke...The Redbook will be MORE tha fine for this release!

22. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

I made the mistake of buying the vinyl, against the better judgement I should have had after reading reviews here, and it is not very good. I have the original US Decca mono that I bought when it first came out and that is the mix I love. They really screwed up this re-release big-time!!

Bill

23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The only thing I find worth listening to is the bonus track version of "I can't Explain". The maximized sound so irritates me that I rate this release as pure garbage. I will not buy the SACD out of protest. And plan on not buying Who's Next Deluxe either. This from someone that would previously buy anything from THE WHO. I've had enough of being totally disappointed.

24. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I have both the redbook "deluxe" CD and the SACD version - and I find a marked difference in sound quality between the two. The SACD is smoother, more refined, and much easier to listen to. Where the redbook can tend to sound very bright and harsh, the SACD sounds more musical and is definitely worth the purchase if sound quality is an issue (and you have an SACD player).

I am only talking sonics here - for those who have problems with the mix, well, it is exactly the same. In fact I have heard, and remember reading in the January 2002 issue of ICE, that when Mr. Talmy re-mixed the album he fed the signal separately to both analog and DSD.

In a thread on audioasylum it was stated that the CD was most likely made from the analog master, while, obviously, the SACD was mastered directly from the DSD master.

25. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

"Where the redbook can tend to sound very bright and harsh, the SACD sounds more musical and is definitely worth the purchase if sound quality is an issue (and you have an SACD player)."

Well that does it for me. I am definitely picking this one up to draw my own conclusions.

Anything that draws this much criticism must be good! :)

I am not such a Who purist to be overly concerned about problems with the mix as long as the tracks still swing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.