OK, who's got the new WHO SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

"In a thread on audioasylum it was stated that the CD was most likely made from the analog master, while, obviously, the SACD was mastered directly from the DSD master."

I think that is the case by definition. What is the bigger issue is that there was a DSD created straight from the analog tape and not using a PCM intermediate. That appears to be the case here based on Shel's conversations.

Of course, I would ideally like to time travel back to the session carrying a Meitner ADC and do it straight to DSD with as few mics as possible, but that's another story... ;)

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I heard the SACD last night. I was not able to listen very critically and it was not on a great system, but from what I heard, it is not as dynamicaly stressed as the redbook CD, and the eq needs a little fixin'. If you tone it down a little in the 8-10kHz range and add a few dB in the 100Hz or so low bass range, it sounds better (to me). The eq is like a less severe version of a classic Rhino treble-spiked release.

Regards,
    Ken

3. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

After listening, it seems to be a less "hyped-up" version of the CD set. Didn't sound as compressed to me, and the vocals seemed smoother.

The mix is the same. I don't know why it doesn't bother me as much as everyone else here. I certainly respect the opinions being arrayed against it, but to me it sounds worlds better than the old mono CD. Perhaps I don't know what to listen for. Ah, well, your mileage may vary and all that.

Ryan

4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

So this is a double cd on one sacd, right? I guess they can do this since there is no multichannel program. How long is the disc?

5. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

About 91 minutes, I think.

Ryan

6. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

More to point, does anybody have a track listing for the SACD? I've searched several sights, but have found no track listing.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It's around 91-92 minutes.

I believe the track list is the same as the CDs, just on one disc:

Out in the Street
    I Don't Mind
    The Good's Gone
    La-La Lies
    Much Too Much
    My Generation
    The Kids Are Alright
    Please, Please, Please
    It's Not True
    I'm a Man
    A Legal Matter
    The Ox
    Circles
    I Can't Explain
    Bald Headed Woman
    Daddy Rolling Stone
    Leaving Here [alternate take]
    Lubie (Come Back Home)
    Shout and Shimmy
    (Love Is Like A) Heat Wave
    Motoring
    Anytime You Want Me
    Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere [alternate take]
    Instant Party Mixture
    I Don't Mind [Extended]
    The Good's Gone [Extended]
    My Generation [Instrumental]
    Anytime You Want Me [a capella]
    A Legal Matter [Mono]
    My Generation [Mono]

Regards,
    Ken

8. jdw

jdw Senior Member

I'm bringing this thread up to get some more opinions on the SACD now that people have lived with it for a while.

I don't own any Who material from this era (except SH's Meaty Beaty...) so is the SACD the way to go despite the controversial mixes?

Thanks
    John

9. I have to agree with Mike. I like the sacd quite a bit, actually. It goes from home to work and back with me, I have Sony sacd players both places, so the only place I can't listen to it is in the car.

Not too loud or shrill, you can hear the warmth of the original pre-mixed multitracks.
    Like all other Shel Talmy product, it is not bass-y in a Pet Sounds kind of way, but the bass is present and accounted for, even articulate.

I GAVE my redbook cd away to a friend, and warned him to turn up the bass when he played it.

My only regret is that I had to buy it twice to hear it correctly. The redbook cd is AWFUL!!!!

- - -

I personally don't find the remix objectionable except for the missing guitar, tambourine & french horn overdubs.

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I'm hoping the new "Collectors Who's Next" will also come out on a single disc SACD.
    Let's hope.

Joe Lee

11. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I agree with Mike and Thom. The guitar timbres are particularly nice on the SACD. I too understand the remix controversy, but for some reason I'm not as bothered by these remixes as Luke and some others.

My favorite on the SACD is "The Kids Are Alright," mainly for that lovely guitar tone.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Dittos to MikeT. I own both. Same feelings here as well. The SACD is better, so if you haven't got the CD yet, skip it and go for the SACD. Much better representation of the sound. The CD sounds fine, but the SACD has some improvement over the CD, and is noticeable immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.