Okay, Deadheads...I've ripped you for decades, but

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nicotinecaffeine, Sep 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident Thread Starter

I finally gave Anthem and Workingman's full spins last evening and...ugh, it hurts to say this, but you guys were right. It's good f***in' stuff.

What others would you recommend? No - not some oddball bootleg from 1978 sourced from some doof sporting a handsized GE cassette recorder. I'm talking from Aoxomara or whatever it's called.. up to In The Dark.

Thanks. NC.

Miche, musicalbeds, Emmett66 and 3 others like this.
  2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Reckoning to build on the Workingmans
    Live Dead to build on Anthem

American Beauty and Europe 72

Miche, musicalbeds, Emmett66 and 6 others like this.
  3. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

American Beauty and Skull and Roses.

4. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

1969's Live Dead for a taste of something a little different.

5. sirwallacerock

sirwallacerock The Gun Went Off In My Hand, Officer

you've joined the dark side now.

Miche, crispi, Edgard Varese and 8 others like this.
  6. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I used to really have no truck for the Dead, picking up the thread with them in the late 70's and early 80's where they were releasing some slick listless records and hearing too many bootlegs of utterly unfocused noodling.

I eventually ended up really getting into the 1968-1970 period (the debut s/t is too spotty for my tastes), particularly after hearing the original, noisier mixes of Anthem and Aoxomoxoa, and enjoying the unabashed country of Workingman's and AB. I also like Reckoning, very much in the vein of the latter two. I'd recommend any of those (plus Live/Dead, which is great).

There are doubtless many prime live recordings, but I'm not the person to guide you through those. I still can't get into Skull and Roses or anything later. Good songs on Europe 72 and the early- mid 70's albums, but also, variously, too slick or lifeless performances on the same.

Maybe just start at the beginning and work your way forward?

Fullbug likes this.
  7. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Get this one:

[​IMG]
    It's titled One From the Vault and is a live gig that was performed for industry insiders and friends only. They had been rehearsing and recording the Blues for Allah LP all summer long and therefore, the performance is tight as hell - no "rambling" here. It's a great example of their jazzier mid-70's sound, with a preview of the more straight-forward arena rock sound they'd adapt in the future.

Oh, and the sound quality is outstanding - it was professionally recorded on 16-track tape.

Miche, musicalbeds, Emmett66 and 9 others like this.
  8. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

And don't think our feelings haven't been hurt -- if we could remember them.

john lennonist and Fullbug like this.
  9. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Forum Resident

I'm another hold-out who recently jumped in.

American Beauty and Skull and Roses for sure....but I think Terrapin Station is a winner. Flavors of funk, reggae, and fusion that turned off many long-time fans -- and ultimately, the band -- but that was one of the first to really open me up to the range of their potential.

It's from the same mid-7os jazzier era that notesofachord notes above....and I'll definitely be checking out One From The Vault!

10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Get The Grateful Dead, aka, the Skullf__k album. That is prime entry level live material, and it's part of the original catalog. I'm glad you are enjoying the studio work, but it really is about the live releases, and there is a TON of official live stuff, so you don't have to worry about GE cassette recorder quality fidelity. But I'd like to point out that a lot of tapers back in the day did a great job recording the band. It was allowed by the band, so there was no reason to be surreptitious about it. There was a small field of mike trees behind the soundboard at every show. So, unlike other major bands of the era, a lot of the unofficial live stuff you can get does not sound like it was recorded from inside a closet, which is more than I can say for some of the Who bootlegs I have.

Why is it about the live releases with the Dead? Because unlike most other bands, the studio was not the proving ground for new songs. That work was done on the stage (and rehearsals).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
    Norbert Becker and Andy Boyd like this.
  11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I initially misread the title as "Grateful Dead fans...you've been ripped for decades" and I thought to myself...yeah, that sounds about right. :laugh:

Robin L, Erik B., Pappas3278 and 4 others like this.
  12. Henry Please

Henry Please Forum Resident

Find yourself a clean copy of American Beauty that looks like this in the middle and good times will be had by all.

[​IMG]

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Mars Hotel and Wake of the Flood. Though I had heard the Dead before these two came out, these were the ones that made me a true believer. Seems good successors to one enjoying WD and AB.

14. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

If you like anthem and workingman's dead, go for Aoxomoxoa - BUT ONLY IN THE ORIGINAL MIX. It's sort of the perfect melding of those two records: psychedelic experimentation and some really great songs.

Folknik likes this.
  15. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

If it's the California country-rock/Americana sound (w/ stellar songwriting) that "hooked" you finally onto the quality this band is capable of, then:

Your next move should be, IMO, straight to these two albums:

Bob Weir - Ace
    [​IMG]

and...

Garcia by Jerry Garcia
    [​IMG]

Instead of having a proper studio follow up to American Beauty, the Dead released a couple of live discs. However, when considered together, the Garcia and Weir "solo" albums, released in 1972, essentially is the non-official 2LP Grateful Dead follow up album to the 1970 classics. Most of the songs on each album became long-term Dead concert classics. Ace basically is a Grateful Dead album, since the band plays on all the songs. On the Garcia album, Jerry played everything except the drums (Billy Kruetzmann).

Miche, Robin L, bonus and 9 others like this.
  16. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

While "Skull & Roses" and "American Beauty" are absolutely essential ...

GET THIS ONE !!!

[​IMG]

Miche, John Bonham, Folknik and 6 others like this.
  18. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

If you liked Anthem, definitely check this out - it's been awhile since I was fully immersed in Deadlore but I think parts of it was used for Anthem. 1968 Primal Dead at its best

[​IMG]

Miche, Alan2, wavethatflag and 4 others like this.
  19. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

For albums I would throw in Blues for Allah for a very different pace. For live official release I would recommend Ladies and Gentlemen the Grateful Dead from the Fillmore '71 shows. Really tight, wonderful sound for a '71 tape, little bit of drum rattle from the amps but so well recorded by Betty you can pick that up, lots of room/stage space to it, you forget there is only one drummer for those shows Billy is so good.

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Being a Deadhead means weathering abuse. Welcome to the other side.

Fullbug and nitsuj like this.
  21. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

This. Easy question, if you're not talking live sets.

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The expanded three disc version in the From The Vault box is even better :)

Expanded edition disc three
    1. Alligator
    2. Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)
    3. Feedback

wavethatflag likes this.
  23. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Green Label WB Dead is where it's at.

24. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

You will eventually want this one.

25. Smiths22