Okay, Im blown away by Sonos

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raq0915, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Our router is a Linksys (model WRT54GS), not a cheap-as-dirt one. It is, or at least was, a very common router that is present in many homes. It works flawlessly in all other aspects.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  2. Ron Scubadiver

Ron Scubadiver Forum Resident

The only thing I know about Sonos is it is selling very well.

3. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

At one point, a number of years ago, I was going through a WRT54-series Linksys router every six or seven months. The WRT's principle claim to fame was its configurability, availability of bootleg firmware for the thing, and the fact that you could pick one up on sale for thirty-nine bucks. There were also some great runs of WRT routers that lasted for years.

But when they flaky, they're done. Hang on to yours if you choose, by all means. No offense intended.

Rolltide likes this.
  4. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

None taken :) In fact, following the advice of an earlier post in this thread, I do plan to try a new router. My point is that at the time I was battling with the Sonos system, I didn't have any reason to suspect that the problem could be related to the router. And during none of the 1-2,5-hour phone calls I had with Sonos support in the UK did they suggest that the router could be the problem.

Moreover, (what seems to be) the root of the problem was highly curious as well--the electrician-installed network cable running from the router to the place where we wanted to have our cabled Sonos unit somehow doesn't work with Sonos despite working perfectly in all other aspects (we stream HD content from Netflix w/o problems. And get download speeds of about 70 mbps). So we ended up buying a Sonos network extender to serve as a cabled unit that we could place right next to the router with another LAN cable.

The bottom line for me as a user: The famed plug'n'playaibility of Sonos wasn't playing out in my case. Now, Sonos may be the best there is--I'm not arguing that is isn't. Just that the best there is isn't a safeguard against problems.

5. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I often use my TT (ConnectAmp) in the lounge and then relay the music to play through my Play:5's my kitchen via the line in option when I'm cooking so you can certainly direct the output to any speaker in your Sonos set up.

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Are you guys talking about routers or modems?

7. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I have a Play 3 in my kitchen and find it is great for background music and non-serious listening. It gets more use than my stereo.

8. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I would posit that the reason for that is sadly mundane: The use of cheap-as-possible electronic components.

9. Carl Swanson

Probably combos.

10. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Well, IME you also have to restart new routers frequently if there's a lot of devices logging on to them (and not properly logging off).

11. Carl Swanson

That doesn't explain them wearing out quickly.

12. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

You're right, but my point was that the having-to-reboot problem also applies to new units, not just routers who are on their way out.

Carl Swanson likes this.
  13. Carl Swanson

Got it.

14. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Sam - I run Squeezebox with a Boom and I'm thinking of picking up an Echo on sale this Friday.

Is it that easy to simply plug into the Boom's aux and gain access to the Squeezebox and my music?

Thanks.

15. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

You're not gaining access to your Squeezebox library, you're only using the Boom as an external speaker for the Echo. If music plays when you say "Alexa, play Wilco's 'Summerteeth", then that music has been uploaded to Amazon or you are a subscriber to a supported online music service:

Amazon.com Help: Ways to Listen to Music & Media on Alexa

I read somewhere, maybe (Squeezebox : Community : Forums ), that work is being done on voice integration into Logitech Media Server via plugin. I don't recall if it was Alexa or Google or something else. Not here yet, though.

JohnT and SamS like this.
  16. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

@Apesbrain summed it up nicely. I have retired my Boom, and now use an Echo Dot and Denon HEOS 1. This combo is still a bit clunky, and I imagine the upcoming Apple HomePod will provide for a better "all in one" experience. I don't really need to access all my Squeezebox-based music in the kitchen, anything that's on Apple Music will be fine for that purpose.

JohnT likes this.
  17. KevinM

KevinM Well-Known Member

When we remodelled our living room, my secondary system was elimated as it "didn't fit the decor". After weeks of researching Bluetooth speakers, I settled on a Play 3. We love it, at low to medium volume it sounds pretty darn good. As someone mentioned, at higher volumes it is quite fatiguing. It has been absolutely flawless and it is simple to use and my wife uses it regularly. I keep telling her, if you want loud, head to the main system.

18. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

I have two Play:1 connected as a stereo pair in the bedroom. I'm not exactly "blown away" and would not consider using them as my main speakers. However they do exactly what I want them to do,, which is provide a nice sound and pleasant atmosphere when I lay on the bed to read or relax. As previously mentioned,, they don't support Hi Res audio but I'm OK with JRiver down sampling when necessary.

I considered other alternatives before buying my Sonos and decided that they gave me the best balance of convenience, size, simplicity of installation and audio quality. All in all I'm pleased with this purchase.

19. Flatlander

Flatlander Forum Resident

NO KIDDING!!!
    I work at a type of store that sells these things. I have witnessed installs. Yes they are extremely effective at what they can do.
    But they are not cheap.

I have seen people drop a bunches of hundreds of dollars and set up an indoor/outdoor system - all wireless - and they sound amazing.

Sonos Sub retails for $699.99 and honestly, it is not bad for one of those "magic little boxes" that makes you think you are hearing bass.

Wireless sound!! I really have nothing to say about them that is bad. They sound fine. Not much can compare.

20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

My main bedroom setup is Sonos. Soundbar mounted on the wall under the flat panel TV, Sub on the floor, and two Play-3 speakers on nightstands beside the bed. I installed it a few years ago and have been satisfied since. I only had to reboot the system perhaps a couple times in several years. I would consider Sonos reliability very high.

I consider Sonos a good solution for casual TV sound in a small to medium room, and an okay solution for music listening.

If I remember correctly, I paid $700 for the Playbar, $700 for the Sub and I got the Play-3 speakers on a BOGO deal ($300 for both). And $40 for the Playbar Wallmount. $1,740 all in.

Ignominious likes this.
  21. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I use the PB, Sub combo for TV, but use a Connect Amp to drive the DefTech BP2 surrounds I’ve had on the back wall for years. Works great. Amazingly satisfying setup for TV. Resurrection of this thread and the recent addition of Roon compatibility make me want to dig out my Play5 for outside.

I wishe they would add a few pieces, something battery powered or maybe a small battery powered module that would work with other portables like my Marshall Stanmore, and a set of weatherproof patio speakers.

22. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

We have a bought one of the new Sonos 1 for the bathroom. I'm quite impressed with the sound of that little box. It gives a very good impression of bass, although not a high levels, understandably.

23. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Hey Rolltide, I don’t know much about the Sonos solutions. I am curious what you mean about it integrating with your McIntosh system.

24. mark e

mark e Forum Resident

ok, i have a relatively simple set up re sonos.
    NAS drive with digital archive > router > sonos connect > amp
    wired, not wi-fi.
    and its bloody brilliant.
    the ease of use to jump from archive to digital radio to soundcloud to mixcloud is fantastic.
    the sound i get from my digital archive sounds great (to me that is, i realise there are a lot of audiophiles here !)
    however ...
    if like me you have a large digital archive, then you are going to hit the dreaded 65K issue.
    this is not a software limit, but hardware based, and as sonos are all about streaming as opposed to large local archives then there will never be an official solution.
    it took me a good bit of digging, but i have a relatively decent solution now, (more info on request if there are others ... )
    but damn, it was painful for a while.
    m.e

Ignominious likes this.
  25. bluesaddict

bluesaddict High Tech Welder

Late to the party..... I have Sonos for a couple years with two connect boxes that are hooked up to my main listening system in the basement and one to the system it the living room. I love it and can do a lot with it. Also have a play 5 that I can bring anywhere on my property with a extension cord. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.