Okay... probably time for me to really dig into The Beach Boys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mindblanking, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

Given that they were just voted the greatest American band of all time by the forum, it's time for me to really give them a detailed listen. I just listened to some Amazon clips from the albums Sunflower and Surf's Up and have to say I was impressed. Much different than the earlier surf and girls stuff and didn't seem to be trying so hard the way Pet Sounds does sometimes. So, if I'm determined to understand the forum's appreciation of them, where do I start guys?

PhoffiFozz and gramfan like this.
  2. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I've come to the conclusion that the hit singles of The Beach Boys do me fine.

3. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I think you need to learn to appreciate the early stuff. “Surfer Girl” is a great album packed with hits. “All Summer Long”, “Today”, and “Summer Days and Summer Nights” are all classic albums. They might not be as “hip” as those later albums you mention, but they’re the foundation all that stuff is built on. There’s magic in these records.

You can’t just hang out in the 68-72 period forever. It might take time to wear you down but they will harmonize you into submission. You will eventually find even a paean to a rusty old car to be strangely stimulating, both emotionally and spiritually. This is the gift The Beach Boys bring.

If “Sunflower” and “Surfs Up” speak to you then you will probably like “Holland”, “20/20” and “Friends”. That’s a good start, I suppose. Work backwards from there. I hope the music works for you.

4. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I bought Endless Summer in 1983, I then bought Pet Sounds in 1988. That was enough for me until 1991 when I was able to buy the Good Vibrations box set really cheap, that box set jump started my fandom. A career encompassing box (either that one or the newer one) are good samples of the hits and deeper cuts across the whole career, which then would give you an idea of which era suits you best.

5. Daniel Plainview

I'd recommend the "Good Vibrations" box over "Made in California". The older box had better sound, proper vintage mixes and a perfect selection of tracks. There's too much stereo-remix revisionism on the newer box. It isn't a good introduction to the group.

6. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King Thread Starter

How's the sound quality on Good Vibrations? Was just reading someone's review on Amazon who claims it's no-noised.

7. Daniel Plainview

Mark Linett says it is not no-noised.

I like the sound of it.

Peter Pyle, chacha and starduster like this.
  8. Colocally

I always enjoyed that Box set. It blew my mind back in the 90s.

gramfan likes this.
  9. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

10. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

You might want to consider the SHM-SACD reissue series that's coming out soon, new DSD transfers of several popular albums.

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

12. Start with 15 Big Ones. That will cure you quick. :winkgrin:

Seriously, since you like some of the songs on Sunflower and Surf's Up, I'd recommend starting with those and working backwards and forwards. The first stumbling block going forward is 15 Big Ones and the first going backwards is Beach Boys' Party! or possible Smiley Smile (some love it, some don't). Youtube is the best way to sample the albums.

I'm probably not the best source of advice because I love at least parts of all the Beach Boys albums, even their very worst.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  13. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

Just don't start with "Love You"....although it's in my top five..

EasterEverywhere, FJFP and starduster like this.
  14. Yes. Love You is one of the "love it or hate it" albums it seems. Others are Smiley Smile and L.A. (Light Album). All of these are golden to me, but probably not the ones to start with.

Steve E. and gramfan like this.
  15. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I agree that the Good Vibrations box set is a great introduction. Intelligent selection from every period of their career, and the "previously unreleased" songs (including the debut of a good chunk of "Smile") help to rewrite their history as an innovative and eccentric band. There are a few technical errors in the set ("It's over now" is at the wrong speed, and I think a wrong mix is used here or there) but don't let that stop you.

The collection also rescues the best songs from certain albums of theirs that I don't find so essential, especially once one gets into their later years. But, it might also help you find your way into those albums. (Among other things, it's the best-presented case for Brian Wilson's brilliance throughout the 1970s.)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    starduster likes this.
  16. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Start with Smiley Smile. :evil:

17. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

y'know what? if i could go back and re-experience something all over again, my first encounter with the 1991 good vibrations box set would be a contender, easily in the top ten for satisfying music finds. i've since gotten just about everything, but i STILL revisit the box on a pretty regular basis.

and no-noised or not, it sounds a LOT better to me than just about anything mastered by linnett since.

smitquest

18. Colocally

I had read a lot about the Beach Boys in Record Collector before getting the GV box and the first thing I played when I got it was the Cantina version of H&V. Had such a goofy smile on my face as I heard that for the first time. It was a total treasure chest of delights. If I had to choose just one BB item to keep, it would be the box.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

The Good Vibrations box set is an excellent overview of the band's diverse career. I would also recommend some of those two-fers, which often include some great bonus material: Today/Summer Days and Summer Nights, Friends/20/20, Sunflower/Surf's Up. You get good value for the money with these. Naturally, Pet Sounds and Smile are both essential as well.

Herjo, starduster and Steve E. like this.
  20. Steve E.

And, yes, I love "Love You," which to me is like semi-produced Daniel Johnston (who I think is a genius).

21. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

That doesn't mean that he didn't try to EQ out the tape noise by other means.

GroovinGarrett likes this.
  22. Smiley Smile is actually the first Beach Boys original album I bought (after my darling baby daughter gave me the Hawthorne CA comp) These literally changed my life for the better.

23. Steve E.

Once I was done with that box set, I had to get everything. I just wish they'd used mono mixes on the pre-Today albums, as the stereo ones are notoriously bad (Has that ever been rectified?) Personally, I have never been able to get into the albums after "Sunflower," except for "Love You." While I appreciate the contributions of the others, in the end I'm a Brian guy--it seems his presence is crucial to making the material by the other guys click.

24. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i think everything was mono on the good vibrations bux up through 1968 (first 2 discs, and then some).

smitquest

25. cubbykat

cubbykat Bringer Of Pain To Your Face

Joining the small choir assembled here thus far on the Good Vibrations box set; possibly the most-listened to box I own and really changed my perspective on the Beach Boys. Became a major fan after that.

Mechanical Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.