Okki Nokki drama?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan Budiac, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Budiac

Dan Budiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I placed an order for an Okki Nokki record cleaning machine in December. I haven't received shipment, and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon. Here's what I've been told:
    1. Vana Ltd. has resigned as the sole distributor for Okki Nokki in the United States. All references to Okki Nokki have been removed from their site. The official reason is unclear, but poor communication with distributors seemed to be an ongoing problem.
    2. Okki Nokki has been experiencing major production issues with their manufacturing line in Germany, so much so that they're closing things down and moving the production to China. The few units that have been received by resellers have had high defect rates.
    On paper, the Okki Nokki looks like the perfect balance of the functionality I need and the modern design I want. Reality, it seems, falls short.

My primary question: is this an isolated issue? Or is this the latest in a pattern of problems? Should I wait until Okki Nokki sorts out their manufacturing line and finds a new US distributor? Or should I move on and begin considering other options, even though they seem far more expensive and less than ideal for my needs?

Jimmy Pak and Doctorcilantro like this.
  2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I have one on order with the Canadian distributor, Audioscape.
    They are telling me mid February.
    I was not aware of any persistent defect issues.
    I agree, it looks like a great RCM.
    I have a good relationship with Audioscape and am confident they will stand behind the product.
    But who needs the hassle.
    Fingers crossed.
    Glen

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's too bad. I have had my Okki Nokki for about eight months and It has worked great. Maybe it's time to explore other options.

4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I've never had an issue with my two Okki Nokki RCMs. I bought the newer version about a year ago and no defects have come to light. But this was well before the issues with their distribution in North America. IIRC this is the second US distributor that dropped them. Not sure what is going on but maybe they ran into cash flow/financing problems?

At this price point I think your best option is the VPI 16.5. If you have the budget you can consider the Clearaudio Smart Matrix which is about $1600.

It's a shame that Okki Nokki is having these issues. It's a great RCM at that price point.

Maybe you could try going right to the source and contacting the company directly?

I should probably start looking for some spare wands as back up.

Lownote30 likes this.
  5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I've had my Okki Nokki for nearly two years now, I also bought the newer (a white one) version and it has been flawless so far. In my opinion it's an excellent RCM that really gets the job done. To bad it seems that the quality has declined, I really hope that Cadence solves these quality issues and get the production running again.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  6. gkella

Any update on your Okki Nokki ?
    I am still waiting to hear about my order.
    Glen

7. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I would doubt that it would be a labor problem as in this world wide economy I would think that anyone with a job would be happy about it. 2nd, it could be a purchased parts problem with a supplier or a lack of financing. I hope you all have a happy ending to your stories.

8. gkella

I believe they moved the manufacturing plant and that is what is causing the delay.

9. ssmith3046

I like the looks and features of VPI Cyclone although it cost about $350.00 more than my Okki Nokki.

10. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Go for a Nitty Gritty. Far better Machine IMO

KT88 likes this.
  11. gkella

Have you auditioned the Okki Nokki?
    Please elaborate.
    Why the preference?
    Thanks Glen

12. ssmith3046

I really like my Okki Nokki but have never used a Nitty Gritty so I cannot comment on it.

13. laughalot

laughalot Forum Resident

Yes I have. Prefer the vacuum against gravity for one. Prefer the smaller platter, it doesn't contact the record surface so cant transfer dirt. Prefer the automatic fluid pump.

14. gkella

Thank you.
    I have an opportunity to pick one up at a good price but
    Can't seem to talk myself into the extra cash.
    Glen

15. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

The Okki Nokki is great. No issues whatsoever, highly recommended.

alexpop, sound chaser and ssmith3046 like this.
  16. ssmith3046

I agree 100%. You know what the only problem is? You can't find them anymore.

17. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Just get a VPI HW 16.5. Made in the U.S.A., produced for decades without distribution or QC issues. No worries about parts availability. Mine is 20+ years old (actually, mine doesn't have the .5 designation) and still works perfectly.

18. ssmith3046

If I hadn't bought my Okki Nokki back when they were plentiful I would have gone with the VPI. My Okki Nokki is still going strong but if and when it gives up the ghost I'll probably consider the VPI Cyclone since it incorporates a lot of the Okki Nokki's features.

19. Dan Budiac

Dan Budiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Since my original post, I've learned that...
    • Okki Nokkis are shipping, albeit slooooowly.
    • The timeline I was given by my local reseller was incorrect. The transition to their new manufacturing base took place in January 2013, and they are at the tail end of sorting out the inevitable problems that are inherent in all manufacturing operations.
    • There is a distributor that is currently in negotiations with Okki Nokki to take over the US market.
    I'm sitting tight and waiting for this to shake out. For me, the VPI and Nitty Gritty just aren't options. For the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would make a wet/dry vac out of wood, let alone the MDF that the VPI is constructed out of.

20. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Actually, if you Google "VPI leaking" you'll have a few hours worth of postings to wade though.

Upinsmoke likes this.
  21. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

The Nitty Gritty cleaning surfaces are entirely of plastics and are sealed. They offer both a wood case and a plastic case for the outside body only. Even the outside case on the Nitty Gritty machine is solid wood. No issues at all with moisture.
    -Bill

laughalot likes this.
  22. ssmith3046

If you can just be patient and wait for the Okki Nokki because I think you'll be glad you did.

sound chaser, JL6161 and raferx like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the first Okki Nokki was made from mdf as well. But you are right and it's probably why they moved to a different material :)

Thanks for the update. I was hoping they would pull through.

Eddie

24. gkella

I picked up my Okki Nokki today from the Canadian Distributor, Audioscape Canada.
    Looking forward to cleaning some vinyl this weekend.
    They told me they have already sold the inventory they brought in!!

25. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

My Okki Nokki is about 3 or 4 years old, and I am so grateful I got it when I did because it was right after that when they seemed to go out of stock all over (in the US) for a while, so I think distribution ebbs and flows have occurred previously. I love everything about it and have had zero problems with it.

sound chaser likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.