Okki Nokki Sticky Wand issue (old metal arm)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eddiel, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I have the metal arm version and occasionally get the sticking problem. However, it's never been enough of a problem for me to do anything about it.

2. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Do you clean/rinse your wand after each cleaning session?

3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

No. Never have. I might try it!

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I clean it after every record side, never had the problem. Do you clean the machine at all?

5. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Yeah, it's a good idea to try it, I rinse mine (I also have the metal version) after each cleaning session and I've never had any problems with it. I also rinse the tank carefully with lukewarm water after each cleaning session as well so this is also something you might try.

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I just bought one off eBay. The seller was albepro.nl. They are reasonably priced. If you have the MKI, I also recommend the new clamp. The clamp did cause a problem on my old spindle where the threads stripped, but I called up Vana in the US and got a replacement spindle for $20 shipped and all was good. Not sure, if I caused the cross threading or it was the clamp. The new clamp had different material for the threads than the old clamp. I'm lazy and let the motor spin the clamp down, so it could have been my fault. But Vana was really good about helping me out with the new spindle. It took about 5 minutes to replace the spindle once I figure out that there are pads that cover the screws on platter.

7. BD2665

BD2665 Forum Resident

Thanks Vinylontubes. The metal arms are hard to find. I've had minimal issues with the clamp and mine is in good shape after six years of use but I have thought about making the clamp larger by mounting it in a larger wood piece.

8. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

I contacted support at Audio Advisor, they sold me the ON. They are suggesting it is the fluids I'm using. I may try to switch the arms to see if the #2 fluid always causes the problem no matter which arm I use, etc.

I clean the tank after each session. I try to hold the arm lightly down when it pops up continually. Overall the arm popping up is probably not a deal-breaker.

9. FriendlyVolcano

FriendlyVolcano Forum Resident

I’m still having sticky arm issues with my v2 (or is it v3?) Okki. Can it be fluid based? I’m using L’Art du Son, but I’m wondering if the Okki fluid is any different. Let me get this straight: if I’m able to get an original metal wand, that will fit in my newer Okki?

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

I use the same fluid with no issues. Do you remove the arm for storage?

11. Leonthepro

Nope, metal arms do not fit in plastic arm sockets as far as Im aware.
    And Im quite sure the Okki fluid is different from Lart Du Son.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

Like Leonthepro said, no it won't fit. If you have any doubt...I once bought the wrong arm for the Okki I used to have and can confirm they are not compatible as a result of direct experience :)

I used L'Art Du Son with mine as well as the supplied Okki fluid (which appears to be alcohol based). I had no issues with the arm but it was the metal one. However, after I sold my Okki to a friend he suddenly had the same sticky arm issue. He didn't use L'Art Du Son or the Okki fluid. I can't remember what fluid he uses. Apparently his sticky arm problem went away on it's own.

This sticky arm thing is a curious problem. The only thing I can think of is that it's expanding or contracting due to heat/cold; either the arm or the hole. But you've been having this issue for sometime and if it was heat or lack of then the problem would come and go.

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Frankly that is unlikely. If you moved the machine to a cooler location it would surely contract. Have the same model and had no issues. Check the spring is aligned and functioning properly first. Clean around the plastic thoroughly and maybe apply some natural wax polish to the plastic ring if still a problem. One thing is the arm polished chrome or black painted? I have a black painted metal 7" arm of later manufacture and it is a bit tight.

14. eddiel

I had no issues either with the machine (it was mine and I sold it to my friend) either so I was perplexed. It was the version with the black painted metal arm there were no issues when I had it. It worked perfectly even up to the minute I packed it up as I tested it. The only things that changed in terms of before and after the sale was location, fluid used and the person using the machine. There was no issue with the spring either when my friend encountered his problem. Anyway, he says it works fine now but it's still a mystery.

Others in this thread with the same issue have the plastic arm version of the machine so even if it was the spring or the metal arm, others with a different arm are still having the same problem.

15. FriendlyVolcano

FriendlyVolcano Forum Resident

As someone with formerly a case of sticky-wand-itis, here's my solution to the problem: remove the wand after each cleaning session and let everything air dry until the next session. Then replace the wand. The longer the wand stays in the machine without having a chance to dry out, the stickier it gets. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but it stands to reason. I've taken to using a plain distilled water pass after each Art Du Son pass, so that might help, too. But letting things dry out seems to be the winning ticket to me. Now if anyone can point me to a cheap source of lips?

Leonthepro likes this.
  16. Slan

Slan Member

I have one very old Okki Nokki, probably one of the firsts, and I had the same problem in the begining. No help from no one put me to think. My solution was to put some water after use, to clean the inside container, then cleaning the outside plastic and arm. Before usinng again I put some water proof silicon grease on both plastic and arm, that I use in the rubbers of my swiming pool, and until today everithing worked fine. I still use the same arm with no problems. Cheers.

17. Leonthepro

Is that the metal arm then?

18. Slan

Slan Member

Yes it is.

19. Leonthepro

I have that one too. Never had the sticking problem. But it has to be the plastic thats expanding then right?

20. Slan

Slan Member

Mine was working very well. Then I put it aside for a few monhts and then the problem starded on first use. I don't know if it is the plastic expanding or deterioration due the kind of plastic. There was no reason for it happens just for being stoped for 3 or 4 month.

21. eddiel

Curious, is the plastic tacky/sticky at all when this happens? I've had some plastic items that started deteriorating and surface became very tacky at the touch.

22. Spsesq

Spsesq Forum Resident

I had the same problem and fixed it permanently with a very simple fix. The plastic tube is a very tight fit, so I used 220 grit sand paper and sanded the tube at the bottom where it is inserted into the okki nokki unit. Once sanded, the problem went away...that was two years ago.
    Steve

eddiel likes this.
  23. eddiel

EDIT: Meant to include...I never did ask my friend this question!

24. Slan

Slan Member

Hi, the plastic was perfect to the touch. And still is!

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.