Okki Nokki vs VPI MW-1 Cyclone -- Loudness Comparison?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by forgetcolor, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forgetcolor

forgetcolor New Member Thread Starter

I've finally made peace with spending a big chunk of change on a good RCM. And for me, "good" very much includes getting one that doesn't hurt my ears. I tried a Record Doctor V a while back and found it unbearably loud, even with both earplugs and hear protection earmuffs on at the same time!

I can't afford a KL Audio or similar, so am considering the MW-1 Cyclone. What attracted me to it is that it's reportedly quieter. In fact, the dB spec for the MW-1 is 78dB. A comparison is the VPI 16.5 which is 96dB. I don't know what the dB was on the Record Doctor V but I'd guess it was at least 96.

The difference between 78 and 96 is dramatic. It means the 16.5 is almost 4x as loud perception-wise.

Before I pull the trigger on the MW-1, though, I wanted to ask about loudness experience with the Okki Nokki. I really like the ON's design, in particular that it doesn't have a metal casing that surrounds the platter making access easier. Does anyone have an idea of the loudness of the ON? Or might someone have heard both the ON and MW-1?

I should note that I've been told that putting these on a soft surface like a carpet square or towel can reduce the dB by 10. If that's the case, then the MW-1 could get down almost to the sound level of normal conversation, which would be great.

2. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Disk Doctor 2.5 is loud - really loud - in the order of 95 db when used in a small kitchen. It did a good job on LPs, but that braying vacuum was just too loud. I used it once, without ear plugs, but never again without ear plugs after that. Kept it for two months, then replaced it with an Okki Nokki earlier this year.

Prior to the DD 2.5, I used a SpinClean for a couple of years. SPL of 0 db. :D I was able to get LPs perfectly clean using a consistent technique that worked well for me. I just got tired of LP shopping that was always followed by up to an hour of manual cleaning.

Prior to the SpinClean I used a VPI machine for three years. Worked perfectly. When parts started to wear out, my oldest son scooped it as a DIY project. He's still got it, and has used it regularly since he repaired it using parts purchased from VPI.

My Okki Nokki is quiet enough, at 83.5 db as measured with my Scosche SPL1000, that I don't need ear plugs. Then again, if you're unusually sensitive to high volume noise of any kind, go for the VPI which is quieter still. Some days, the noise of even the Okki Nokki close-proximity vacuum bothers me too, so I use ear plugs rated for 32 db of abatement which basically makes everything almost completely silent.

Just for comparison, I never listen to music louder than (average) 72 db as measured at my usual listening position.

forgetcolor likes this.
  3. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I have the cyclone and had the 16.5 before.
    I had also read that the cyclone is quieter but I don't find it to be significantly so than my prior 16.5

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The MW-1 is certainly quieter then the 16.5, but I would not go as far as saying it's 4 times quieter by any means.

By the way, the MW-1 is a great machine. I've sold several and all those customer's love it.

Dubmart likes this.
  5. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I have a 16.5 and use a MW-1 on a regular basis, I find the MW-1 to be noticeably quieter, I wouldn't say that the 16.5 is 4 x louder, that's definitely not my perception, but the MW-1 noise is much less intrusive, although it's still obvious. I know a couple of people with Okki Nokkis and my perception is that it's more like 16.5 levels and a fair bit louder than the MW-1.

If I was buying any of the three today it would be the MW-1 without hesitation.

6. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

I have has 3 16.5's and now a Okki Nokki, and the Okki is way quieter then the 16.5's

7. forgetcolor

I got specs today on the Okki Nokki: it's 85dB - 83dB at 1 - 4 feet. Call it an average 84dB and that places it between the 16.5 and MW-1:

MW-1: 78dB
    ON: 84dB
    16.5: 96dB

8. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Loricrafts are silent & you can read or play music
    video on the basic PRC3 model PRC4/6 produce ever less noise

9. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have a MW-1 as stated above quieter then 16.5 but not 4x IMO> but I luv this machine, much better than my 16.5

sean

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  10. forgetcolor

Yes, those look great, but my understanding is that their low end would be about $1400 + 20% VAT + shipping from UK to US (maybe $100?). In other words this is around $1800 to start? I'm stretching to get an MW-1 unfortunately.

11. forgetcolor

The Okki Nokki people tried a loudness test with the unit on soft surface for me. They said it changes the characteristics of the sound, but not the loudness.

I can imagine the soft surface may attenuate some of the higher frequencies, so that could reduce loudness perception even if it doesn't reduce a loudness measurement.

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Keep ear plugs next to your RCM. Seriously. I have a VPI 16.5 and it is loud, but I only clean 2-4 records at a time, so it is a not big problem. I think I will put some earplugs next to the machine, though. 96 db is loud.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  13. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Just Ordered a MW-1, myself.

Looking forward to years of not hand cleaning.

Dubmart and forgetcolor like this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

And much better results.

15. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

This is my sincere hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.