'OL WAYLON Remaster

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FredCamp, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member Thread Starter

In know that the Hoffman-remastered DCC version of Ol Waylon is the one to get, but I was just wondering if anyone has a verdict of the Buddah remaster. I'm tempted to buy it.

2. Casemeister

Casemeister Forum Resident

Not sure... but the BMG Heritage stuff (BMG Heritage being the label it's on) is generally good. I'm judging by their STELLAR remastering of "Waylon Live." They well and truly rewrote the book with that one; it's amazing.

I'd buy it with confidence... BMG is usually good with their Waylon stuff.... when they FINALLY manage to put it out ;-)

3. FredCamp

At last, a response. Many thanks, Casemeister. And I am in full agreement with you on WAYLON LIVE.

While we're on the subject, do you know any details about the Waylon two-fers that have come out of Germany in the last few months? I got the READY FOR THE COUNTRY/WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND and the MUSIC MAN/BLACK ON BLACK cds in the mail the other day. They sound great, but there's no info. about who remastered the albums. I was just curious.

4. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member

I have not purchased the Ol' Waylon cd as I have Steve's DCC version and can't imagine it sounding any better than that, but it may be an edition worth getting for the liner notes and pictures, but that would be later down the road. However, I did purchase the "Lonesome, Onry & Mean" cd and it sounds great. Plenty of tape hiss in the background and doesn't sound like it has been maxed out to the limit. These were probably mastered by the same people so I wouldn't hesitate to get it, if I didn't already have the DCC.

5. Casemeister

I have the Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean twofer (with Honky Tonk Heroes) from Camden in the UK. That CD uses the Buddha version of HTH (as far as I know), and "LOM" sounds just like it. In fact, that CD is a bit of a reference CD for me when it comes to remasters. It has a very open sound... no shortage of "good" hiss. Very cool. I hope the new Buddha one is just as good.

FredCamp, I don't have those CDs yet... but I'll get 'em eventually. LOL. The new RCA tribute is next for me -- it comes out in Australia in a few days. It's worth it for "The Dream." But on the twofers....... I'd assume it's the same people who did the "Lonesome, On'ry, and Mean" and "Honky Tonk Heroes" CD -- but, again, no remastering credits there. Whoever did it, they're doing a killer job.

It's a pretty good time to be a Waylon fan now, with all these nice releases coming out... but I wish they'd reissue "I've Always Been Crazy." That and some of that early '80s Waylon. THAT would please me :)

6. FredCamp

I heartily agree, Casemeister, though it's sad that death is the reason for these good times. Still, some of the Waylon albums that I've longed for ever since they started making cds are now in the format and in my collection. Like you, I am also waiting for I'VE ALWAYS BEEN CRAZY, one of the last thoroughly edgy albums from Waylon.

I highly recommend the two-fers. They haven't been off my player since they arrived.

7. Casemeister

Ahh, can't wait to get my hands on them. Also, I'm probably going to get the new tribute album tomorrow --- I heard "The Dream" ages ago, and it is probably the best song Waylon ever did.... and that is saying a lot. For me, that makes this new tribute CD worth buying.

And, yep, IABC is one of the last of Waylon's "amazing" era.... to me, it could go along with such albums as HTH, LOM, The Ramblin' Man, LIVE, This Time, etc. I was listening to "Turn The Page" last night. That's another underrated one.

Man, there's so much cool Waylon that hasn't been reissued. As you, said, though, it's a shame he had to die to get some of it on CD. As he said in a song, "Nashville is rough on the living, but she really speaks well of the dead."

Damn straight, Waylon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.