Old 97s new album, Graveyard Whistling (Feb 24 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Dec 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

i'm on the hunt i'm on the prowl....for the new old 97s LP

2. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

After having spent a couple of weeks with the new album (and FINALLY getting a copy on vinyl), I have to say this is another nice effort. I do tend to spin side 1 more often because I just like the flow. Couple it with side 2 of Most Messed Up and you have a killer record!

Laibach likes this.
  3. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Zeki likes this.
  4. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I just listened to this a couple of days ago and really like it. "Jesus Loves You" and "Good With God" are what has caught my immediate attention. I'll be listening again today.

mrjinks likes this.
  5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

This isn't a bad album. But, man, what I wouldn't give for them to produce another Fight Songs or Satellite Rides...

Erik B. likes this.
  6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Oh my, those are my two least favorite albums of this band, especially Fight Songs. You really like that Rhett tried to be the Texas version of The Cure with Fight Songs? :D

I saw them at the Fillmore last night. When they played "Rollerskate Skinny, " Rhett said it was about Winona Ryder. He said he hooked up with her in the 90s, and then she threatened him with "physical violence" if he told anyone. He never said a word about it until he heard her talking about it in the press. Anyway, he said that she said "Of all the songs written about me, 'Rollerskate Skinny' is my favorite." And then he said sarcastically, "As if there's a whole genre of music out there about her." He was funny. Anyway, a few pics below.

Rhett said Phillip Peeples was in some sort of accident and got his face smashed up, and it would be a few weeks before he could join the band on tour. Meanwhile, the drummer from Polyphonic Spree, Jason Garner, filled in. I'd say he's a more active drummer than Phil, and in the beginning it seemed to me they weren't entirely gelling and were a little fractured and rocky, but after about five tunes or so they all settled in and the drumming was fine. Still a great show. Why this band isn't filling bigger halls is a complete mystery to me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mrjinks, Claxton and Zeki like this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Yep, it was my entry point (after I read Christgau's rave) and only recently have I started regarding Satellite Rides as its equal -- and perhaps better.

But, hey, at least we both like the band. And we're in agreement they should be bigger. :)

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. wavethatflag

I actually bought Fight Songs after I had Too Far To Care for a while, and I found the transition jarring. And I didn't like it. But, that was the late 90s, and now I'd be willing to get those two albums and try again, and I have all the others anyway.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  9. Claxton

Yeah, Philip apparently took a spill in the hotel parking lot out in LA before the band was on Conan (they had a different drummer for the show.) Must have been pretty bad to keep him out for a while. Jason, besides being drummer for the Spree, is also their roadie/stage tech and a good dude.

And put me down for one that digs Fight Songs. At the time, it was a big step away from the killer punches of Wreck Your Life and TFTC. Taking it in with the whole catalog, I'd rank it pretty highly.

Zeki and wavethatflag like this.
  10. wavethatflag

That's interesting, and it explains how he knew all the songs. Rhett never mentioned he worked for the band, he just said, "Jason learned all our songs in two days!" That was a little hard to believe, maybe it was a joke I didn't get.

I have Alive & Wired on right now.:righton:

Zeki likes this.
  11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Currently playing the hell out of “I Don’t Wanna Die In This Town."

Claxton and wavethatflag like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

Did anyone here pick up the RSD 12" with a couple outtakes? I was going to until I saw the price tag...

13. Claxton

I did and regretted it the minute I walked out the door with it. The completist in me is glad to have it, but $20 for a 12" with two outtakes (and an "etching") is not one of my better moments.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. mrjinks

We all have those moments...
    :wave:

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Seeing the boys in just a few hours. Third time. Can't wait to hear the new songs live!

16. mrjinks

Report back!

17. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

It was alternately thrilling and depressing.

Depressing, in that only 75-100 people showed up (the venue can hold 2k). I think the band was honestly taken aback by the low turnout. Murray quipped that there would be a Q&A session after the show.

It was thrilling in that we got to stand directly in front of the stage, never jockey for position, and listen to them rip through their set.

TMK, this was the first time they played a traditional venue here in Wichita (they did play our RiverFest a couple of years ago), so they really haven't built up a following here. Also, it was a week night. Still, I couldn't help but feel bad for them. I kinda doubt they're coming back.....

18. mrjinks

Wow, that’s remarkable. They play a 1000 capacity place when they play here. I think I’ve seen em three times. Show 2 had a low turnout (half?) and I wondered if they’d be back ... and they were a couple years later. That’s awful, tho!

manicpopthrill likes this.
  19. Claxton

That's a bummer, but like you said, sounds like there were a lot of contributing factors. Being from their home area, it's probably been 20 years since I've seen them with a crowd that small (and that's only because the venue wouldn't hold much.) I have no doubt they still put on a good rock show for you.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  20. mrjinks

Zeki and Claxton like this.
  21. mrjinks

A double helping of Rhett and the band is due this fall. Rhett’s back with “The Messenger”, a new solo disc, and the band will follow it up with - I’m not kidding here - a Christmas album, of all-original recordings (“Love The Holidays”) shortly thereafter...

Claxton and manicpopthrill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.