Old Movie: SIDEKICKS

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Khorn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

• Gene Autry had Pat Buttram
    • Roy Rogers had Pat Brady
    • A bunch of stars had George "gabby" Hayes or "Windy"
    • Guy Madison had the guy with the horse (there we go again) voice, oh ya Andy Devine
    • Don Mills had "Cheap Laughs"
    • (some jungle guy) had Umbaratutu ????

Any others??

2. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Linus had Lucy, A King had I and Groucho had Chico and Harpo.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Jamie, that's sidekicks, not eternal tormentors. And Groucho had no sidekicks; he kicked their sides(insert smilie of choice).

That should be:

CHARLIE BROWN had LINUS

Although, had Charles Schultz taken the comic to its adult extreme, you have it right: that's just what would have happened: young dreamer(Linus)triumphs in every way over older antagonist(Lucy). Also known as: justice prevails!

And Lucy does get stuck with Schroeder, to her, ahem, *eternal torment*:)

Has nothing to with cinema, so here's one:

RED RIVER: Walter Brennan(sidekick)to John Wayne(hero&villain)

Another:

Charlie Chan series: No. 1 Son(sidekick)to CC.

I'm tempted to add Asta to the THIN MAN series, but, that's open to debate...maybe.

ED:cool:

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I was taking the Guaraldi spin on things. :)

5. Ed Bishop

So I gathered:) ;) And a good choice, too: I never get enough of his work.

The inherent problem with this thread is this: most of the 'sidekicks' tend to be found in serials, at least those you might remember. With individual films, it gets a lot harder to remember them, although sidekicks abound.

Always wondered what constituted a TV sidekick: was it Danny Williams to the steely-eyed McGarrett on HAWAII FIVE-O? Is Ren or Stimpy the sidekick? Depends on the episode of that cartoon series. For years, Bobby Neuwirth was Dylan's 'sidekick' though most bios reveal that Dylan wasn't close friends with anybody, even those who felt closest to him.

Nah, you're right: go with Linus and Lucy. The combo of idealism and grumpiness is more husband/wife than brother/sister. They deserve each other, somehow. Charlie Brown must, by Schlutz's edict, remain alone on the mound or flat on his back after the football was yanked away. Yet he never opened a Psychiatrist-cum-Lemonade stand(5 cents)to give out advice more neurotic and myopic than his patient.

Snoopy was the only sane one of the bunch. He formed a little band who had a few hits back in '67/68:rolleyes: :p

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Fess Parker had Buddy Ebsen in Davy Crockett...

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Superman had Clark Kent...Hmmm, Is that a dual personality?

8. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

The Lone Ranger(Clayton Moore) had Tonto (Jay Silverheels)

Cisco (Duncan Renaldo) had Pancho (Leo Carrillo)

Batman (Adam West) had Robin (Dick Grayson)

Lucy (Lucille Ball) had Ethel (Viavian Vance)

Joe Friday (Jack Webb) had Frank Smith (Herb Ellis & Ben Alexander) and Bill Gannon (Harry Morgan)

9. Ed Bishop

Suppose it's too late to remind everyone the thread clearly states

MOVIE and not TV sidekicks.

The latter have always been dime-a-dozen; finding good cinema sidekicks outside of serials isn't so easy. As is now obvious:D

There have to be some old fart movie buffs here somewhere whose memories are still working, because mine sure isn't....;)

10. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

OK how about: Smiley Burnette

This guy was the "Quintessential Sidekick"

Do you remember the Durango Kid movies with Charles Starrett? Smiley was a side kick in those i believe AWA what seems like a millon others. He was a train driver in TV's Petticoat Junction in his later years also. Hell this guy was in almost every 'B' western ever made! (seems like it any way).

Damn, things were so simple when I was a kid :(

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

My apologies ... I didn't notice the movie reference ... but actually the Cisco Kid & Pancho are the only duo that I can't verify appearing in a movie ... but I have a suspicion that even they may have appeared in a movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.