SH Spotlight Old Polydor CD "Strange Brew-The Very Best Of Cream" mastered by Dennis Drake. Best sound, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 25, 2016.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Half Price Books had their big warehouse sale in my area today. All CDs were $1. Found a nice copy of this. Listened to it in the car on the way home. Sounded pretty darned good. Listening now at home with my good headphones & it sounds great! I passed on this a few months ago for $7 - it's worth that much or more. And if you find it cheap, grab it.

CrazyCatz and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

So, how was the Half Price event, overall?

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Not bad. It's crazy how popular it is. There's always a line around the block before it opens. Some people fill shopping carts with stuff. Nothing is more than $2, and the CDs were all $1.

4. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I love that event. I'll be standing in line on Sept 22 when they have the Cleveland event.

I bought over 100 CDs last year there.

mmars982 likes this.
  5. J.K. Baxter

J.K. Baxter Active Member

I had this one on tape in high school, but alas, never the CD. I listened to nothing but Cream around 1994, and I don't even remember why I got into them so hard when I was about 15, but I sure played the hell out of every album.

6. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I just found the BMG Version today in a Record Store for $5 in perfect condition(Disc & Case/Booklet) considering it is Used. When Steve started this thread last December, I had written down the bar code, and kept in my wallet to check in case I would come across a Dennis Drake Mastered copy of 'Strange Brew-The Very Best of Cream' when browsing Used CD Sections.

I was not sure if I had the correct copy, seeing it was a BMG Club CD version, but since it had Drake in the credits on the back of the inside/insert, I assumed I got one of the correct copies, so thanks for your post mentioning that you own the BMG version to verify, as it must be one of several versions on CD that contain the Drake Mastering. I never owned any Cream CDs before, so this is a great start to get into their music(although, I am familiar with 'White Room' and 'I Feel Free'-based on Bowie's Cover Version).

On another note, I appreciate the time that you and other Staff Members provide to keep the SH Forum/Threads mostly problem free.

qwerty, tdavis0903 and Jerry like this.
  7. pdenny

pdenny Blow up your TV

Found a stone mint copy today. I've been listening to the CREAM GOLD set for years. My STRANGE BREW is a CRC, but matrix has 02. Drake credits. Does indeed sound much more "organic" than the tracks I compared to GOLD. This will no doubt be my go-to from here on out as I'm mostly a casual fan of the group.

billnunan and MikeJedi like this.