Old Records - Mono or Stereo? How can you know which are true stereo?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marcellovalerio, Dec 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcellovalerio

marcellovalerio New Member Thread Starter

This is probably answered on here many places...but I am looking at two records:

Jimmy Durante - September Song
    Bobby Darin - That's All

Both appear in Stereo and Mono, but are the stereo versions Genuine? Are there any general guidelines for old records when it comes to this issue?

2. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I know that Darin's is real stereo. I'm no expert, but I don't think there's too much, if any, fake stereo Bobby Darin.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Those are both stereo. However, if you like "That's All", you need to find a mono LP; different microphone placement, etc.

4. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

I never knew that there was a different microphone setup for mono records. I thought the sound all just went to a mono deck.

Here's Bobby 'Buddha-face' Darin with Dick Clark.

Attached Files:

5. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Use of a differing mike setup for stereo versus mono (extended to even differing control rooms and engineers) was SOP at Capitol in it's Hollywood studios for several years in the late 1950s, for one example.

6. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

I've got a nice Yellow Harp Atco Stereo copy of "That's All", and I gotta agree with Steve....The mono is better.

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

A lot of record price-guides show mono and stereo lps as (m) and (s), and fake stereo lps as (e) for "enhanced stereo".

8. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

There are genuine stereo versions of both. The mono Darin has the edge in my opinion but if you really enjoy the album you might find it of interest to hear both the stereo and mono albums of it.

To answer your general question: the "rule of thumb" is that you may find real mono and stereo listed as such or (m) and (s) while fake stereo (always to be avoided in my opinion) may be called "enhanced for stereo" or "duophonic" and listed as (e). Duophonic was a common term for fake stereo and is not to be confused for RCA's "orthophonic" which is fine and not related to the matter. Some recordings were made in stereo starting as far back as 1954, but stereo (and alas, fake stereo) LPs and singles first came out in 1958.

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

'Duophonic' was just used by Capitol, I think. Still the same junk.

10. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

This is one of many reasons why Both Sides Now existed, which you could find in the back of old record guides, but now known as bsnpubs.com

It's one source for finding out about anything that is in true stereo or not. Or of course, you can come here, ask, and wait for an answer.

11. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Now you mention it, I think you're right. And yeah it's the same rubbish. Anyway it's still a term to avoid whenever possible.

12. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

"Nice" record companies told you when you were getting "electronic reprocessed for stereo" or "Duophonic" or whatever. Unfortunately, a great many 'stereo' records I've come across over the years were fake stereo. Sometimes the only way to tell is to listen.

Dale

13. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Like MGM's "Sounds Great In Stereo"; too bad it's not.

14. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

Should have been "Would Sound Great In Stereo!" MGM a big offender there--Sam the Sham, Hermits, Animals...the only true stereo MGM album I have here in Japan is a US copy of "Rev-Up with The Vettes", an obscure Bruce Johnston/Steve Douglas surf/hot rod knock off.

Dale

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.