Old school Metallica fans and Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dennis1077, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

"I'm madly in anger with you!" is just a great line, and a great song/album title.

I agree Bob Seger's "Turn The Page" gains nothing in my opinion when done by Metallica. Likewise "Whiskey In The Jar" which on the other hand I never liked when Thin Lizzy did it either.

2. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Been cool to talk to buddies that left em at RTL come back to them with this record. Some of the same guys who still didn't catch on with DM? ....are digging this.

I don't argue anyone's taste or allegiance to one era over another.

Hey, I dig it all. Slayer was my placeholder if I absolutely had to have something newer (Divine, Christ, God Hates, etc) that stayed true to some "old school" thrash rule.

I dig it all - the Loads, Black, S&M, Garage Inc, & St Anger (more last couple yrs than release) .....along w Garage Days, KEA, RTL, AJFA.

But...DM & now Hardwired = back solidly connected, yet evolved, from what make them the biggest & baddest of the genre.

Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer all came through big time with their last albums. But, after plenty of listens of all.....Metallica, imo, truly came back with the greatest masterpiece of them all.

I'm a genre jumper - Stones will always be my #1 band. Metallica is a top 5-10 all time band for me (Slayer is there too.)

'Tallica & Stones made my top 2 records of the year++, and I've loved plenty of records that have been released in the last year & a half.

3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

What was it supposed to have gained?

4. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Really? People abandoned Metallica at Ride the Lightning?

It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one reconnecting with Metallica!

Weirwolfe and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  5. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

2LP black vinyl is on sale for $11.24 for the next 5 hours at "The Big A"...

Clanceman and dennis1077 like this.
  6. hiddman

hiddman Forum Resident

I'm tempted to buy another one at that price.

Weirwolfe and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  7. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bummer. I missed it. Totally would have have snapped up a vinyl copy at that price.

8. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

I bought one shipped to diff address as a gift. Thx for the heads up.

Sci-Fi Kid likes this.
  9. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Metallica - Hardwired For Seattle tomorrow.

My week of thrash begins. Met tomorrow. Slayer + Soundcheck Friday. Stoked!

10. theanalogkidsignals

theanalogkidsignals Forum Resident

Black album was always mediocre to me, I never even bought the Loads as nothing stood out to me from the singles. St. Anger I'm okay with because it created this video parody, and gave me infinite opportunities to do joke mixes in mixing contests where I insert that snare sound no matter what style the music is. Regarding Hardwired, I felt the same way. I was really surprised with how much I dug the songs. Even the slower tracks like Now That We're Dead and Dream No More I could get into. They seem to have rediscovered their old selves a little, while throwing in some 21st century melody in there. I don't know how, but it works with me. Like the new record, I even participated in Blackened Friday and got all the bonus stuff that came with the album.

11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Envious. Regardless of what you may think of their recent studio albums, as far as I know, they have never failed to bring it live.

Clanceman likes this.
  12. theanalogkidsignals

They weren't in the best shape during the big four shows, I don't know what Lars' problem is during this show, but he cannot keep time.

dennis1077 likes this.
  13. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

What this new album has done is got me interested in seeing them live again something I haven't done since 1996 when they were awful. It was like some happy clappy pop concert in terms of the 'whoo let's have some fun' attitude of the band. No. I don't want fun. I want Metallica, hard, fast and interesting. Loved the first four albums from the start. KEA came out when I was 14, perfect timing. I was lucky enough to see them on every tour until TBA. I didn't love TBA, maybe 4/5 songs. Live they were still great. Load lost me completely and things seemed to get worse from there, I Disappear excepted. The 90s albums are not as bad as I thought they were as a kid, DM sounded a bit more like Metallica although the songs aren't really there and whatever sensible singing lessons James has had have taken away from voice. If I went to see them it would be for old times sake but then that is probably the case for every band of that era.

14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes, keeping steady time has never been Lars' forte. I have not seen them in 3-4 years, but at least up until then, I would say they always delivered err . . . . deapite Lars' "issues".

15. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Do NOT miss the opening set from Behemoth.

Clanceman likes this.
  16. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

as an old metalhead myself, i have never liked het fields singing, nor his " yeeeAAAHH" " ouhhh" or whatever he does, makes me want to kick his teeth in, and go get some lunch.

everything else i like about metallisnatch.

stopped buying anything after justice. they are a bunch of * these days anyway, their arrogance has their egos so bloated, they are total ***holes.
    to hell with these pr*ck*

oh, they are one of the worst out of time, tune, bands i have seen. i have seen them just ofer a handful of times, each time, terrible. goes back to 86 til my last time i seen them live was in 95??? i think....long time ago.... they are horrible live

17. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I got the new album. I heard a few of the song when it came out, it was Free on Amazon Prime. I asked my brother to get it for me for Christmas. The last album I got before that was S&M. I never hated the black album, but I really wasn't a fan either. I mean Enter Sandman is great song, but it's not really speed metal, I was all ready losing interest with ...And Justice for All. I borrowed CD who had Loaded when it came out. It didn't do anything for me. Then I saw them at Lalapaloosa when they headlined. I walked out.

The new album actually was speed metal. So maybe I'm back in. I ended up buying St. Anger for kicks afterwards because it has decent reviews. Thinking maybe I was wrong all this time. Nope. I hated St. Anger. So I'm still on the fence. I'll probably get the next album, but 1 good album in 20 years is a bit of a stretch.

18. theanalogkidsignals

It does?

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You can't become the best band in the world without arrogance. And you can't become the biggest band in the world without major league egos.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  20. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Make sure to show up in time to see Gojira, they put on a hell of a headlining show last night in Boise. One of the more intense concerts I have ever seen and I'm old!

Stormrider77 likes this.
  21. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Meh who cares they ruled the world in the 80's. I have one sentence for you...YouTube- 86 Seattle. Untouchable.

22. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I know absolutely nothing about business or marketing logistics,but why don`t they just put out that Master Of Puppets Deluxe Boxset this year?I thought it was completed last summer and now Hardwired has been out and the tour in progress.I`m guessing the contents will follow a similar formula as the other two but it would be very good to have a choice of more on vinyl because I like the sound better than the cds.Those Ride The Lightning demos and rehersals are still my favorite parts.

23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Old school fan as I saw them on their first tour and got turned onto them from the first Metal Massacre album.

End result: I haven't even bothered with Hardwired. I've listened to Death Magnetic once I think.

Clanceman likes this.
  24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

God shifter. Hardwired is worth a listen.

25. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's possible they ran into some legal issues and couldn't secure the rights to some material? just a guess on my part. That was the reason we didn't get the pre-Kill em All demos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.