Old school Metallica fans and Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dennis1077, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Metallica. AJFA's mix is all wrong. It's crying out for a proper remaster.

2. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I still listen to Kill Em All. I don't like any of the others except the Black Album.

3. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Nothing? Where'd you see them?

They played half of the whole Ride The Lightning album in San Diego last week.

4. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Yeah, I have some friends that said you guys got more in San Diego, but "Fade" & "Bell" is in most sets. Those were the two I got in Seattle.

5. Audionerd

Audionerd Forum Resident

I agree, but I doubt it'll happen, as it was an intentional decision on Lars' part to mix the bass so low (if the stories are to be believed). Even Jason's come to grips with it.

That said, it was my intro to the band and still my favorite, though I didn't see them live until the Black album tour. One of the best shows I've ever seen.

6. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Anybody order that new live vinyl Live At The House Of Vans 2016 in England.Like the last one Bellman cut the vinyl.They have it for pre order on their site for $40.

Clanceman likes this.
  7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

On Metallica site? Going to nab it now. The new mastering for the live CDs & Webster Hall vinyl.....fantastic!!

steveharris likes this.
  8. Evil Strawberry

Evil Strawberry Forum Resident

I LOVE old school Metallica. But Hardwired... IS FREAKING KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!

JayB, Blueshirt, Weirwolfe and 3 others like this.
  9. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm old school, in the actual sense.......I bought an copy of Kill 'Em All right at the beginning.......then Lighting, Masters and Justice......all magnificent......and then The Black album......thud!!

The next album I bought after this was Death Magnetic, which I think is a simply marvellous album.....and deserves to sit next to the aforementioned early albums. The albums in between all have their moments......

So......Hardwired......the first single was great wasn't it???.....very clever choice........but the album??? Dull as dishwater.....it plods, it bores (it rips off Iron Maiden) and just as quick as Death Magnetic made me a reformed devotee, this reminds me why Mustaine and Megadeth are eons above Metallica in terms of skill and signwriting ability and Dave must be perplexed why something so lacking in charisma can sell in such large quantities.

10. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

I heard the songs off of Hardwired on the radio and was unimpressed to the point of not buying it when it came out. Found it last week used for $6.99 so I thought what the hell and bought it. Gave it a couple of chances but it just doesn't do anything for me. My profile is also buying the first 4 when they came out, hating the Black album and ignoring them all the way until Death Magnetic which I liked.

Weirwolfe and Blue Note like this.
  11. DannyG

DannyG Forum Resident

Old school fan here. Loved the first four albums, but then the black album came along and I lost interest. Didn’t buy another Metallica album until DM which I enjoyed around the time of its release but haven’t revisited. My experience with HTSD has basically been the same.

12. Jem

Jem Forum Resident

That seems to be a theme, as I am also in that club. Although hating the black album is a stronger reaction than I had, mine was more based around confusion. That said I didn't bother to see the tour which was the first one I missed. They were excellent at Donington in '91 from memory. Horrible the next time I saw them in '96. DM sounded better but it never gets played.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  13. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Hetfield being lower in the mix vocally helps a lot on Hardwired. He seems to minimize the Yeeeeaahhs and Huhhhhs......This also for me helps. I also like the guitar sound a lot.
    Lars kind of gives those classic Metallica accents, and I like his playing generally on the album, but I can't help wonder what it might sound like with a virtuoso on the skins. Hardwired is the 1st Metallica album I've liked since AJFA.

weekendtoy and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  14. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

I'm an outlier in my Metallica fandom. Love the first four (who doesn't??) but I find both Load and Reload (especially Load) to be much better than The Black Album.

TBA has too many tedious, plodding riffs. They get greasy and deep-friend SUVVERN on Load - and Lars plays far more inventive drum patterns than on the AC/DC inflected TBA.

Blue Note likes this.
  15. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Yeah, the toms at the beginning of "Now That We're Dead" come off as rather sophmorish (or too calculated & cheesy at best) to me, and kinda ruin the song for me. I always wonder what Metallica might have become if the bus crash hadn't happened and Lars was dismissed...
    That being said, Lars' drive and ability to craft songs with James are what has kept the band going the last 30 years.

BDC likes this.
  16. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

im oldtime metalhead. out of curiosity, i bought the 3 cd version on amazon for 4$ +3.99 shipping. pleasantly surprised, not too bad at all, i think im liking it.
    and yes, Justice needs a remixing with Newsted doing the remaster.

was i angered at the mid 90's output, sure what metalhead wasn't? if you really give a listen to ALL of their work, its not too far off from their sound in general, despite the many elevator/slow/( im james and i think i can sing) songs.

you people forget, metallica were never a full on thrash band, their music stemmed from diamond head, mercyful fate, saxon, a lot of influence from the NWOBHM music.
    they were always more melodic with harder edge guitar and such, never a thrash band in the sense of the word, like Sodom, nuclear assault, hirax, destruction, etc etc.

my .02

Stormrider77 likes this.
  17. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I mean no offense or anything, but that statement seems a bit revisionist, like your saying it in a filter of things that have come since. When Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets came out, that was the definition of thrash (along with Megadeth and others). But then again, that was the world I was living in and I guess, still do.

18. Bathory

metallica and megadeth were not a full on thrash band, no matter what the press, or media says. listen for yourself, thats all, there are a far cry from Sodom, Destruction, or kreator
    they were and never were the definition of thrash, metal, fast guitars, yes. this argument has been going on for a long time. its metal, all these subcategories, genres, names, whatever called i dislike.
    cal it what you like. if you want to call them the best thrash band n history so be it. its not the case. happy easter. done

19. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Yes we can agree to disagree and do so on friendly terms. However, I do take a bit of umbrage with you bolded remarks as I don't see where I made any such inferences.

20. Bathory

have a good weekend. cheers

weekendtoy likes this.
  21. Jupitermadcat

Jupitermadcat Forum Resident

I like the new album sounds great! I'm also a fan of And justice for all and the Black Album.

Clanceman, Stormrider77 and Todd W. like this.
  22. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Great new album. In line with the classics.

Clanceman, Blueshirt and Stormrider77 like this.
  23. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Floyd

Aug. 3 : James Hetfield is 55 years old today, not yet self-destructed . :cheers:

24. Hardwired...has zero character, zero charm, zero strong melodies, nearly unforgettable riffs, compared to their albums from the '80s.

The sound of a band just going through the motions.

Then again, it's difficult to blame them when they've lost the fire of youth. You only capture that flame once.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  25. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

I think it's a fantastic album and I haven't cared for much since Justice. It reminds me a lot of Justice with some later stuff mixed in. I like it so much I sprang for the deluxe vinyl box set, which sounds wonderful btw.

Weirwolfe and warewolf95 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.