Old timers, remember Pacific Ocean Park (POP)? This home movie will take you right back there.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

From 1961. Just like I remembered it as a little kid. Even when on that same ocean boat ride when I was 5.

http://bit.ly/ULr7ce

2. maclen

maclen Senior Member

I was born in '58 so I can barely remember going there. I know my family went there numerous times. Thanks for the link Steve.

3. lechiffre

lechiffre Forum Resident

I was born in 1969. In Anaheim. As a youngster I went to the "Local Places" (Disneyland, and Knott's) often. When I was about six or seven we took a trip to POP. What I was treated to, after looking forward to see the place I was told about, was an urban ruin. It had closed some years before, and was abandoned, burned down and falling apart. It was a bit of a disappointment.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Thanks for the link Steve...I believe we are the same age...I remember the time well. love the dress back then!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Seeing this blurry little film really got to me. Why? Because when I saw the Mirror Maze I got such a weird, nostalgic feeling! Hadn't seen it since the last time I was in POP, late Summer of '66. We spent an hour in there since most of the rides had been broken by then. That boat ride they took in the film, I remember being on that as well. Imagine being on a boat WITHOUT a life jacket these days?

6. sfsloop

sfsloop Member

Loved POP.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Hell, in 1966 when it was still open it was almost an urban ruin inside some of the dark rides. I remember going on one (with my summer camp buddies), might have been the Pirate dark ride and there wasn't ONE THING LEFT INSIDE. We were traveling through totally empty rooms. Imagine in your minds going on (for example) the Mr. Toad's Wild Ride at Disneyland and having it totally empty. At POP it was just typical 1966 nonsense near the end. It was actually spookier having empty dark rooms now that I think about it.

8. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Very cool. Thanks. In 1982 I moved from Iowa to Santa Monica. I had heard stories Pacific Ocean Park. From the film It looks much bigger than I thought it was.

Does anyone know the peak of it's glory days?

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The deserted park is featured in the final episode of THE FUGITIVE, "The Judgment, Part 2".

Harry

10. Steve Hoffman

GET SMART, I SPY, MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., MOVIN' WITH NANCY SINATRA etc. all shot episodes at the park. Probably many more.

11. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

Here's a couple of neat POP pictures I found.

Some futuristic cars from their "Autopia."
    pop-autos.jpg

And here is "Electro" the robot from the Westinghouse exhibit.
    Electro was originally shown at the '39 NY Worlds Fair.
    pop-robot.jpg

12. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Cool little reel Steve. The band I was in played the Cheetah in 1968, "The Mothers of Invention" were the head liners. If I remember right this club was right next to POP. Those are the good old days.

13. sfsloop

sfsloop Member

I remember the diving bells. For a little kid I was jazzed. I wanted to be an oceanographer for a long time after that.

14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Thanks, Steve. Now I feel really old. :p

15. Steve Hoffman

POP was a great place. I went there with my family many times, usually after a morning on the beach. We'd pack the stuff back in the car, put shoes on and walk over to the entrance. Like magic, we were inside!

Attached Files:

16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

In 1966 we lived in Odessa, Tx and visited L.A. for a month or so. We went to P.O.P. park. and out of my 4 sisters I was the only one afraid to ride the roller coaster. They made fun of me for quite a while. Great memories however.

17. gregroe

gregroe Forum Resident

Hated the place!
    Well not really...more of a Love/Hate kinda thing. I got lost in the Mirror Maze and ended up sitting on the floor crying until my Dad came and got me. Not sure who was more embarrassed. By the way I walked through the Mr.Toad ride by myself just the other night. Peter Pan as well.

18. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

The rise and spectacular fall of Venice Beach's Pacific Ocean Park
    A new book by Christopher Merritt and Domenic Priore (with a brief foreword by Beach Boy Brian Wilson) chronicles the fantastical life and spectacular death of this incredible seaside park. "Pacific Ocean Park: The Rise and Fall of Los Angeles' Space-Age Nautical Pleasure Pier" (Process Media; $34.95) tells the story of P.O.P. in words, but also lots of pictures — as well as concept drawings, era silk-screen posters, postcards, vintage family snapshots and newspaper articles.

Click on the above link for audio commercials etc.

...more @ http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-fall-pacific-ocean-park-20140727-column.html

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

^ If it's anywhere near as amazingly in-depth as Chris Merritt's book on Knott's Berry Farm, Knotts Preserved, it'll be teriffic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.