Old TV Shows that don't suck (revisited)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by fr in sc, Mar 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Peanuts, peanuts what am I going to do with peanuts?

Jimmy B., Gary7704, Shawn and 5 others like this.
  2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Yep, those 90 minute NBC shows were the best. A couple friends and I would order pizza and laugh our assess off every Friday night.

bpmd1962 and Johnny Rocker like this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I don't mind your thread title. I do think that if you request it Gorts will open an old thread - as long as it wasn't shut down because it violated forum policies.

McLover likes this.
  4. Jason Pumphrey

In actuality Carroll O'Connor was a highly educated man in real life, he knew exactly how to say those WOIDS, and make the funny as hell!

5. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

One of these days Alice, bang zoom, LOL, Ed Norton, as captain video! lol

Gumboo and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  6. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Exceptionally well written and acted. And it started a new era in and raised the bar for sitcoms. But my wife and I watched a few episodes recently and it seemed very angry. Not that that's bad, but my wife especially didn't like the constant fighting.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  7. Jason Pumphrey

This was the show that paved way for future police comedies like, Barney Miller, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine!
    Fred Gwynne was a very gifted actor, he was also great in My Cousin Vinny, one of his final acting roles before he passed away.

Jimmy B., jerrygene, Gumboo and 3 others like this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I agree, it's loud and angry - I have a hard time with that. I DO love when Archie messes up words.

dalem5467 likes this.
  9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

So inane that it's good. Helped especially by the humming men's chorus as the soundtrack, I guess an attempt to invest all the nonsense with some dignity. Note the opening - why would you throw a knife into a door when you could just... knock?

10. Jason Pumphrey

11. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

"77 Sunset Strip" (which now airs on METV overnights), this from the first episode of the final season:

12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I can still watch most years of Happy Days (even a few years past the "Jump The Shark" episode.) I can't handle the last few years, after some of the original cast left the show and they brought in new people (Ted McGinley's character , Jenny Piccolo, etc.) and the focus of the show shifted towards Joanie and Chachi.

Kirk76 and Grand_Ennui like this.
  13. Johnny Rocker

LOL! Basil Faulty, the pretty Aussie gal visiting, the black ink on his hands, him pressing the "light switch" in front of his wife, its a shame that series ended, I wanted more.:cool:

SomeCallMeTim and Mr Bass like this.
  14. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think Perry Mason holds up quite well and the film quality of the show is noteworthy. On a more modest level Emergency with Julie London, Bobby Troup, Kevin Tighe also is strraightforward and unaffected.

15. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

Are there any new shows that don't suck? Certainly not any sitcoms, that's for sure.

Jimmy B., 2trackmind and EdgardV like this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Anyone know if Columbo was ever filmed in 16 x 9? MeTv normally zooms a bit but still leaves some bars on the sides. Sunday's Columbo filled the entire screen for the first time. I think it was a much later episode from the 80's.

17. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hear, hear! I'm still trying to work my way thru the first 3 seasons of Route 66. Loved that Corvette!

18. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I did not know that, as Johnny Carson used to say! I'll try that next time----there've been a couple of closed up threads I wanted to comment on that hadn't degenerated into name-calling, etc. Amazing how long this Forum and its various threads have been going on!

19. Johnny Rocker

Ester says, "watch it sucker to Fred", Just quoting her bro. We have classic tv channels that have Sanford and Son, All in the family. Andy Griffith show, Beverly Hillbillys, Gunsomoke, Bonanza, and others. Its on cable tv, and some local stations show them too. You might try You tube to stream those shows. You in Holland? Bro, we don't have any dutch shows, none, but I agree yall should get some of the classics too.:cool:

20. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yup in the below sea level country here and cannot be blamed for not remembering all the quotes from some 40 years ago, you big heathen ;). Got one classic tv channel here with mostly local stuff with turned up volume, possibly for seniors who cannot afford a hearing aid.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

LOL, I love that Ester quote, "you old heathen, you fish eyed fool" lol, Fred would reply, " look son, a mule followed me in to the house" and other jokes. Did you know, Lawanda Page, had a stand up back in the 70's, and it was absolute "adult" style comedy. Red Foxx was a jet setter in Los Vegas, he too had a funny "adult" comedy routine. :cool:

22. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

She was probably my favourite character on that show and I loved her scenes. She was on a few of those Dean Martin Roasts as a roaster as well.

Benno123 and Johnny Rocker like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I don't think it was but IIRC it was mostly done on film and I think that can help with the aspect ration change. I bet @Vidiot would know!

I know they released a blu-ray set in Japan so maybe they're using those transfers? I've only ever seen it as 4:3.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

When we used to go to AC when I was a child, we passed a store that evidently was black-owned. In the windows would be several Redd Foxx lps with titles that were either dirty or used terms that would get this thread closed fast. I figured out quickly this guy was not mainstream. Imagine my surprise when he shows up on network tv years later.

fr in sc and Johnny Rocker like this.
  25. Johnny Rocker

He was totally "mature adult humor", some of his material would cause todays comedians to blush. lol!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.