Older Conrad-Johnson preamps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Dan C, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

2. Tim

Tim New Member

C-J's are known for their excellent phono sections. Too midrangy for some, but I think it gets the midrange just right. I'm using a CJ PF-1, it is excellent in the phono dept. At the prices that they sell for on the used market, they are a terrific phono bargain.

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

Thanks much for your input.
    Vinyl reproduction is very important to me.
    I'm interested in eventually assembling a low-powered tube system, perhaps with speakers like the Moth Cicada or something from The Horne Shoppe. With neutral sounding tube amps, I was thinking that the C-J pre might be a nice match (I actually love slightly "warm" sound).

Thanks again,
    Dan C

4. M.L. Kaufman

M.L. Kaufman New Member

I have a PV-5, which I bought new in 1984, and while it's currently out of commission, I intend to have it brought back to life. I still love it for its warm, fatigue-free, spacious sound. The phono section is excellent, though I've always had a Cotter Transformer in the chain (low-output Denon 103D).

While good audio equipment should ideally sound equally at home with all kinds of music, I feel the C-J is more suited to classical or jazz--it's not what I'd call the perfect rock preamp, if you know what I mean: a little laid-back, not a vivid, hit-you-over-the-head type of sound.

Horses for courses...

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.