Oldest Performer You've Seen Who Was Still Excellent

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Maybe about four or five years before he died, Solomon Burke. He was supporting Van Morrison at the Albert Hall, personally enjoyed Solomon much more than Van that evening.

DrJ likes this.
  2. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

3. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Paul McCartney two years ago, who was fantastic, Manu Dibango maybe 4 years ago. He was almost as young as his young bandmates (who were quite generic sadly). Very gracious man.

I never got to see my beloved avatar in person :( I know he was hit or miss in the latter years but I would have been so delighted just to see him (of course, a good performance would have been an enjoyable thing too).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    DrJ likes this.
  4. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Your facts are crossed. Celine was the one who gave up her seat on the Titanic to Molly Brown. Unfortunately, her career turned out to be sinkable.

5. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

George Clinton of Parliament/Funkadelic. Saw them this past summer & at age 75 then, (76 now), he still put on a helluva show. Since he cleaned up his voice has gotten strong again, & it shows. Given his age he does sit down some onstage now, but during a 3 & 1/2 set, he sat maybe 15 minutes tops. Even with the various changes in the band overall, they're still the greatest live act I've ever seen, & I've seen them seven times since 1984.

Shak Cohen, DrJ, The Revealer and 4 others like this.
  6. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Mrs Strat and I will be going to see a 75 year-old left-handed bass player tonight. I think it might be quite enjoyable.

7. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I saw Petula Clark earlier this year. At 84 years old, her voice still sounded excellent and she had wonderful stage patter. It was a dynamic set too, drawing on her classic material from the 60s right up to date with new songs. I have rarely been more impressed at a live show.

x

DrJ, jlf, Siegmund and 5 others like this.
  8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

9. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

The great jazz drummer Roy Haynes in 2012 as part of the Stanford Jazz series, with his touring group of the time (The Fountain of Youth Band). He was 87 years young, about 50-60 years older than his youthful band mates. Not only did he drum like a fiend - leading the way on some blazing post-bop jazz - he came out front of the traps on one number and did a very sprightly tap dance! And he was still dressed to kill (he won an Esquire Magazine Best Dressed award in 1960).

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Kenny Burrell

Siegmund and DrJ like this.
  11. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world

Bill Monroe and Doc Watson in their 80s, Link Wray at 70

DrJ and melstapler like this.
  12. jpgarry1

jpgarry1 Forum Resident

Saw Jorma and Jack acoustic this year in a small hall. They were amazing!

The Revealer and DrJ like this.
  13. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Randy Weston, Kansas City, 2010 or 2011, 84 years old...magnificent.

DrJ likes this.
  14. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Roy has definitely aged well. I remember reading an interview with him about that and he basically said there isn't really a secret, just staying active and eating right. Now in his 90s, one of the last active artists from that great generation.

15. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

Saw Willie Nelson last week for the first time. The show was short and sweet. He was great.

16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Roy's amazing. I saw him a few years before you, when he was 83 or 84. He flew past me, down the steps of the Vanguard and into the dressing room, like someone 40 years younger. During his set, he came out front, danced his way to the bar, grabbed a scotch, and flirted with a couple ladies on the way back to the drums. He's tiny too, maybe 5'1" or 2.

I saw David Crosby twice in the last year, first time mostly acoustic, second time with his son on keys and Jeff Pevar on guitar, with Steve DeStanislao on drums, almost all electric. He was 75 and just as good as ever, in fine voice.

Just last month I caught John McLaughlin -- also 75 -- he was outstanding, and did lots of classic Mahavishnu stuff. He still has his chops and his tone, and played with surprising aggression. His band - The 4th Dimension, was fantastic as well.

Of course there's always Jeff Beck, who was probably 70 last time I saw him. Jeff never disappoints, in fact I think he actually gets better.

17. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I saw 'electric' Hot Tuna back in November at Jorma's Fur Peace Ranch in Pomeroy, Ohio. Steve Kimmock sat in with them. Jorma & Jack are both in their 70's but still play with lotsa fire! I've seem 'em more times than I can count and they always deliver the goods.

Saw Dylan last year for the about the 17th time and he was great apart from doing the Sinatra material (can't stand it) but still enjoyed the show.

DrJ and zphage like this.
  18. Baby Driver

Baby Driver Forum Resident

George Clinton!! 3 hours on stage and going for it!!

19. JohnnyZ

JohnnyZ Forum Resident

Jimmy Carter, the lead singer of the Blind Boys of Alabama (born in 1929)

Panama Hotel, melstapler and jhm like this.
  20. Plonk77

Plonk77 Forum Resident

Saw John Mayall last month - 83 years old and still brilliant

DrJ likes this.
  21. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Lee Mavers at 52(ish!) with his stripped back set in Liverpool(!) was great, if a little hoarse....

22. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Yeah but it was a hard 50.

jhm likes this.
  23. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

Ray Price!

DrJ and melstapler like this.
  24. robw

robw Forum Resident

Toots Thielemans at 91

Tord, Derek Slazenger and DrJ like this.
  25. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

That's around the time I stopped going to see him. Still, 30 years as The Majestic Pianist in Jazz, if not all music, is one heck of a run.

DrJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.