Oldest Performer You've Seen Who Was Still Excellent

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

I saw Honeyboy Edwards at 92. Buddy Guy at 79. Ornette Coleman at 78. Bob Dylan at 75. But the best was Leonard Cohen at 75.

2. Ports

Ports Forum Resident

Sinatra in ‘91
    Chick Corea/ Steve Gadd 2017
    Carl Palmer 2017

3. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Just saw John McLaughlin (75) a few weeks ago and he was amazing.

Siegmund likes this.
  4. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Just saw Hot Tuna for the umpteenth time at The Tabernacle. I thought they were over, since Jorma and Jack are now in their mid-70's, but the magic is still there, strong and vibrant, this from someone who is ten years younger, and starting to have issues with arthritis, etc.
    Jorma complained that his new thumbpick was cutting off the circulation, but it didn't seem to impair his playing. Excellent show.

bluejimbop and Siegmund like this.
  5. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

I saw Eric burden Saturday night and he was fantastic Billed himself as Eric burden and the animals, his voice sounded strong noticed he was sipping on a glass of wine throughout he surrounded himself with a hot young band with Full horns.
    At one point to my surprise he barked at security down front that he has it in his rider to allow the crowd down and upfront his wish was my command

The Revealer likes this.
  6. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Roy Haynes, Pharoah Sanders all within the past decade, and you know how old they are now.

7. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Eric Burdon is a legend; I'm a lifelong fan. He always puts on a good show, no matter how out of it he is. I've seen him several times at the BB King Club in NYC. The last time (a couple of years ago) Hilton Valentine, the original guitarist for The Animals, came onstage with him for the first time in 25 years. Imagine the rush when Hilton strummed the intro to House of The Rising Sun.

8. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Yeah I could imagine smiles all around... I saw the 83 reunion tour as I’m sure you did which was a lot of fun. At 76 I was pleasantly surprised and to think we still have four of the five still with us you never know. I was talking to their bass player afterwords and he said they were the only band from 67 to show up at the 50th Monterey anniversary gig.

9. Sterling Cooper

Sterling Cooper Forum Resident

This past summer, I went to a double-bill with Peter Frampton (67) and Steve Miller (73). Both played great guitar and sang well. Their voices still sound like they always have. Peter did a neat cover of “Black Hole Sun” with the talk-box. Miller told some good little stories between songs and showed off some cool guitars. Frampton joined him on guitar for song later.

10. kepstein

kepstein Forum Resident

Peter Wolf (he's 71) is always great.

11. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Sidney Liebowitz (Steve Lawrence) at 82 sung with Carol Burnett on her 50th Anniversary show this week for The Carol Burnett Show, and his pipes sounded great!

Panama Hotel likes this.
  12. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

I am going to see Petula Clark this coming Sunday .Pet is 85 , hope she is in good voice .
    I will let you know how things went.

13. Yes, Jim Hall seemed to have kept his chops all the way to the end. I also saw him, when he was 65-70, with Joe Lovano, and I was amazed at how fine his ear still was - he kept turning down his amp volume in the quiet parts to almost nil (he couldn't really play full acoustic, like he often liked to, because the hall was large). Plus he played Frisell Frazzle... :cool:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  14. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Paul McCartney. Last night in Melbourne. One of the greatest concert events of all time.

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Good to hear. A remarkable performer.

ParloFax likes this.
  16. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

Ian Hunter this past summer at 78. Still great.

Dudley Morris, onlyconnect and Mother like this.
  17. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Ringo 77

lukatherfan likes this.
  18. J-Dub

J-Dub Old School Rocker

Ginger Baker, 2005.

19. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I happened to see Peter Wolf this summer open for Tom Petty......it was the first time I saw him and he was terrific!

DrJ likes this.
  20. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Ray Charles. Saw him a few years before he passed. Band played without him for 10 mins on the front and back end of a 75 min concert. But Brother Ray could still bring it. So thankful I got to experience him live.

DrJ likes this.
  21. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Great post and quite a stellar list of gracefully aging masters you have seen!

As part of the same Stanford Jazz ongoing series where I saw Roy, I saw Jimmy Heath a couple of years ago as well - he was in his late 80s (91 now!). Still plays well though clearly has slowed down - briefer statements focused on sound and not speed (probably the way everyone should play anyway!).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    Panama Hotel and bluejimbop like this.
  22. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I saw Robin Trower at a small club here in Ft. Wayne, IN last year. I think he was 73. He was incredible. He looked old, but damn he could play. He can still make his guitar sing. Here are some shots from the show. Sorry, I'm no photographer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Galactus2, DrJ and wdiv like this.
  23. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I know Hot Tuna has been mentioned, but I viewed a live YouTube show of theirs last night. This was an electric show at the Capitol Theater in NY. Jorma is 77 and Jack is, I think, 73. They rocked like nobodies business. Steve Kimmock also played with them. They played about 3 hours and took a 15 minute break in the middle. I melted into my recliner during Good Shepherd. It was that good. It was also absolutely free. Here are a few TV shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DrJ, Craig, Shak Cohen and 1 other person like this.
  24. zen

zen Senior Member

Carl Palmer.

25. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

Roy Orbison.
    November 1987
    Mean Fiddler, North London

His last ever British show. Thirty years later, still my all-time favourite gig.

No gimmicks, no fancy lighting show. Just one classic after another and that (still) soaring voice....

Spine-tingling perfection.

DrJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.