OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not yet. I have seen a couple of demos for various systems, but the problem is if you turn your head about half a foot to the left or right, the image falls apart. It ain't quite happening, and may never be. VR/Occulus will probably be a way to do it once they improve the picture quality... provided you don't mind wearing goggles on your head all day.

Chris from Chicago and alexpop like this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Developing the cure for cancer way more important. As is, better /lighter image more defined 3D TV for folk that don't mind wearing glasses I'll happily subscribe to.

3. alexpop

Watching 3D Blu Rays on 2D TV you can see all the 3D money shots from the way the camera is angled while watching the film, I find that irritating ...like I should really have watched this in the theatre, or Ill watch it again next time on a 3D TV.

4. Dont be put off by the curved LG C6 (2016 model) if you want 3D and looking to save some money. The curve is actually quite pleasing, unless you are going to wall mount or you are watching really far away from the screen. Rule of thumb is, anything 65" and over for a curved screen is great.

3D is so wild and it makes average movies far out. For instance, I wanted to see some stop motion FX in 3D... Turned it on for The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958). It was hillarious and cool. Life of Pi in 3D UHD will blow your mind. In essence, if you like 3D get one in OLED while you can.

The next big advancement I'd like to see is some 60FPS content.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    scobb likes this.
  5. alexpop

Oled 65" 10 feet away viewing distance is suitable I believe.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It's probably just the money, but as you note, it seems like a cheap addition - whether it's actually $5 or not I don't know, but I believe it's pretty inexpensive and not something that would harm their profits much if they limited it to the higher end sets.

Like I said, ain't a lot of people paying $2500+ for TVs, so the financial ding they'd "suffer" would be minor...

Do you mean combo packs with 4K and 3D discs both included? Because there's no such thing as 4K 3D Blu-rays...

7. Oatsdad

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the LG curved OLED. I'm gonna be near a Best Buy tomorrow so I'll stop in and see if I can look at one in person - I'd like that final "safety check" before I drop $2400 - but it seems highly likely I'll go for the C6.

I already have a 3D set - my Panny plasma has active 3D. I'll be curious to compare with the LG, as I've heard its passive 3D is the best in the home market.

I've liked the Panny's 3D so I'll be curious to see if the LG really does top it!

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Not interested in curves tv ( unless it's Hugh Heffner sponsored :)). Nor wall mounted ..good sturdy stand also required.

9. Oatsdad

Like I've said, I'd prefer a flat screen, but I just can't justify an extra $1000 solely to avoid the slight curve of the LG...

10. alexpop

Four letter word.
    Wait.

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The 55" LG B7 was on sale in Denmark a couple of weeks ago. I bought one to replace my old plasma and I couldn't be happier. I decided that 3D wasn't important even though I have quite a few 3D discs.

alexpop likes this.
  12. alexpop

Great deal if 3D is not a important requirement.

13. alexpop

I met Danish actor the other day while buying DVDs he had thousands also blu rays, but was telling me I should invest in a home cinema set up with projector screen,don't have the space( have 55" TV could maybe stretch to 65") the thing is does a new projector/screen model come out every year, and how do they compare with the best OLED ?

14. Oatsdad

For what?

As noted, I want a 3D OLED from LG. Their 2017 models and presumably their 2018, 2019, etc. models - don't support 3D.

So if I wait, I never get the TV I want...

15. alexpop

Get 2016 LG model sorted.

16. Oatsdad

Okay, you're losing me, chief. I plan to buy a 2016 LG. If I wait, it becomes increasingly likely those models no longer can be found on the market.

I'd like an E6 but those have steadily risen in price. Will they drop to the $2500 or so mark? Theoretically possible but highly unlikely, IMO.

So I can "wait" for the C6's price to drop more, but I doubt it's gonna fall much - if any - below the $2400 it'd cost me right now.

I can "wait" and hope to save a couple bucks - but risk never getting what I want or having to pay more for it. And I probably won't save substantial money anyway.

Bird in the hand wins!

17. alexpop

Wait " up to you.
    But, I think with LG it could take a couple of more years ( there's a 5000 petition demanding more 3D TVs from LG) so yeah the 2016 3D looks best bet.
    I read Toshiba's got a OLED now not sure if it's 3D or not.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Or you could wait and see what the 2018 models have to offer. I doubt that 3D will die completely. New 3D movies are still being released on blu-ray.

19. Oatsdad

I don't think Toshiba releases TVs for the US market. I poked around and only found UK sources about their OLEDs - and even that info was limited. Didn't say if it'd have 3D - doubt it will...

Yeah, I thought about waiting to see if LG would bring back 3D with the 2018s, but I think there's a good chance they won't.

Bird in the hand! :)

20. alexpop

What's wrong with your panny?

21. Oatsdad

Nothing, but I'd like to go 4K and want to do so while I can still get 3D...

22. alexpop

What are the comparisons with plasmas. How much better is the 4K?

23. Oatsdad

Ask me again after I get the new TV! :D

I want to be able to review 4K Blu-rays for my website. Can't do that without a 4K TV...

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I got the E for just that reason (the imminent death of 3D-I am the king of obsolete formats). Just get it & don't look back--you won't regret it at any price. EVERYTHING, no matter the original resolution, looks better on this set, the colors are amazing, as are the blacks.

scobb likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

I'd get it - if I thought it'd offer superior visuals.

But the C6 and the E6 are identical in terms of picture quality - the only potential difference comes from curved vs. flat screen.

Unless I take a gander at the curved screen and think it's an abomination, I don't see value in the extra money the E6 requires...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.