OLED TV/Monitor Owner Thread ver. Dolby Vision is neat

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by White_Noise, Jun 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I went from a Panasonic plasma to the OLED and imo the oled is better at everything except motion handling. There are different settings but unfortunately they all introduce artifacts. Sports look great and there is nothing wrong with the motion. It's just one area that could be improved upon. The LG doesn't have a black frame insertion mode.

Oatsdad and alexpop like this.
  2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I bought a new Samsung 55'' 4K HDR set a month and a half ago, a cheao QLED from last year's catalog and I really love how it looks. I know is far from being the best of the best, just an entry level QLED from 2016 but it looks great with 4K material with HDR. HDR in any form, call it Dolby, 10 or Pepe is the future. Regular T.V. pales in comparison.
    I only hope it can be upgraded to Dolby Vision, Samsung said it would issue a firmware upgrade for most 2016 sets for Dolby Vision.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What will LG do with firmware updates for their 2016 model, if they've stopped making 3D TVs ?

4. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I think they'll continue to support the 2016 models and release updates. I don't see how the lack of 3D in the 2017 tvs could affect the support for the 2016 tvs.

alexpop likes this.
  5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The only time I saw a curved screen I did indeed think it was an abomination, but others obviously don't. Very good p[rice on an E6 here, and not far to ship.:

LG E6P Series 55'' Class UHD 3D Smart OLED TV - OLED55E6P BRAND NEW 1 YEAR LG USA WARRANTY.

6. I have both a panasonic plasma with 3D and LG OLED in 3D and the passive glasses with the LG is so much more user friendly. For instance, you can get a lens clip for people watching who wear glasses and different sizes and styles for kids. With Active you have the constant shuttering on the glasses which can be disorienting and they are kind of bulky. I do like the Plasma 3D though. The LG 3D feature for non 3D movies doesn't look as real but it's still pretty cool.

At $2400 for the panel, it's a helluva bargain! Just be sure, if you get a curved screen it's 65" or more because anything less can start showing symptoms of the image distortion and the bezel shape. Also, if you get tempted to purchase the higher end model with glass on glass, I noticed they tend to pick up more reflections. Oh yeah, I recommend getting the longest warranty available since they stopped making these panels. :agree:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
    Oatsdad likes this.
  7. Alex, OLED is a huge step forward in technology. Sure there can be some advancements in the immediate future but companies are now starting to make use of the BT2020 color space which OLED offers (being 10bit processing). They offer like a billion more colors or something really outrageous. And the curve screens are actually really pleasing too if they are on a big panel (because you wont notice the bevel shape and they seem to draw focus toward the important part of the screen). Mine actually reduces glare and reflections than my flat panel did, odd...

If you are on the fence about them they are totally worth the price. Also, if you like 3D (I do) get a 2016 while they are still available.

alexpop likes this.
  8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That's a 55-incher - I want 65!

But I appreciate it, partly because they have the C6 for about $130 less than the cheapest price I'd seen elsewhere! :wave:

Update: I looked into "East Coast TVs" and found brutal reviews! I'll spend the extra $130 and go through a business with consistently excellent customer reviews...

Vidiot likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

4K 3D projection is possible, so it's just a question of how much they wanna cram in on a disc. It's doable assuming they had enough bandwidth. I'm not convinced the displays exist yet. We did see 4K 3D 120fps projection with Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, but that's a singularly strange movie.

Yeah, there are some fly-by-night jerks out there in the mail-order business. I would trust B&H Photo in NY and anything on Amazon (particularly Amazon direct).

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's not that big a deal. It's a lot more shades of green and a few more shades of blue. I wouldn't say "billions," but certainly "thousands."

[​IMG]

I worry a lot more about how close the set can get to reliably reproducing Rec709, which is how all TV broadcasts and Blu-ray discs are intended to be displayed.

11. Here is an interesting article explaining it better than I can.

The Color's the Thing That Will Make 4K So Amazing

The major points being, 10/12bit processing. 256 shades (8bit) vs 1024 shades of color (10bit), or in the case of 12 bit, 4096 (68,719,476,736 colors). Much improved FPS. How long it will take for producers to put out content is another matter. But its safe to say OLED sets are future proof for the time being. Their settings allow for either color space. It also has an effect on the panels gamma.

I concurr, Amazon direct is the way to go. The prices are comparable to the best of them. Their customer service is exceptional. They will hire a local professional service to deliver, setup your tv (minus calibrating) and dispose of boxes etc for free. BestBuy and others charge a fee for that.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm sure 4K 3D Blu-ray is possible, but it's not part of the 4K BD specs so it doesn't exist...

I'm going with ielectrica. They have a perfect 100% eBay rating with 8000+ ratings, so I think they're safe! :D

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, that's true. Many panels now are 10-bit and some of the higher end models are 10-bit with 12 bit color processing. This high-bit color processing aspect is often overlooked, but it is very important when it comes to both SDR and especially HDR processing.

With high precision color processing one is able to maintain color accuracy/vibrancy across all brightness levels. Normally when you boost brightness in a picture, colors become more washed out and when you have low brightness, colors tend to become darker. With 3D colorspaces enabled buy high-bit (12+) processing engines, it becomes possible to maintain color vibrancy/accuracy across all levels of brightness.

White_Noise and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  14. alexpop

Can't jump for one now.
    But ..thanks for the info.
    Anything from Sony/Panasonic in the near future?

15. White_Noise

White_Noise Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the curve on the C6. Like I said, I've always hated curved TVs I've seen in relatives' homes, and was ready to pay extra on the E6 almost more so to get a flat panel than the all-glass panel.

It's almost not fair to put the C6 in the same category as the other curved TVs. I demoed next to curved Samsung TVs that look ridiculously cheesy. The C6 is waaaaay more subtle. A very slight curve that I honestly can barely see when viewing the TV from the front in a dark room. In fact, I had several friends who feel the same way about curved TVs but commented that they actually like the Curved OLED LG panel a little better. It looks attractive when off, and when on it lends a bit more depth to the image while reducing reflections.

I would be willing to pay premium for the picture on glass design, only if the glass were transparent when the set was off or money just wasn't a factor for me.

P.S. Yikes, they're down to $2500 now?? I paid $3000 for mine in April and that was considered to be a bargain....

I can also confirm that panel quality is identical across the line. I watched a C6. E6. G6, and W7 side by side. Even the W7 (Which is the coolest TV I've ever seen btw). Did not look noticeably better despite the panel being 2017. The 2015 panels do look noticably worse (though still fantastic) and more importantly don't support HDR10 dolby vision specs like '16-17.

As far as brightness, I do not have my TV brightness set over 50% and I have no problem watching during the middle of an Arizona day with the blinds open. The only way brightness of OLED compares negatively to the QLED panels are occasional HDR10 highlights on the blue range don't pop quite as much. But that's getting to a silly level of scrutiny even for this price.

Oatsdad and Rhapsody In Red like this.
  16. I stopped looking once I got one. Sony and Panny both have OLED for 2017 and I saw in a review comparisons of Sony vs LG OLEDs. Sony's have better colors and image then LG models for my tastes.

I wanted 3D so I was limited to last years choices. Sony would be the way to go for something new I think.

alexpop likes this.
  17. alexpop

Yeah..I think Sony has superceded Panasonic now ( they peaked around 2013 with the panny death knell)
    Nice to see a old cosher name brand back on top. Suppose all Sony parts /construction is made in China/Taiwan? Ironic how LG is also top tier, they were behind Samsung for awhile.

18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Both Sony and Panasonic source their panels from LG, so the color gamuts are identical. Any color differences would be purely down to calibration settings, viewing conditions, etc. The chief difference between the different manufacturers (using identical panels) is in motion handling (Sony's is very good) and picture processing of lower quality source material (like SD, DVD, de-interlacing, etc). They also have some latitude in tone mapping for HDR content and which HDR systems they support (HDR-10, dynamic HDR-10, Dolby Vision, HLG, etc). There were some very minor differences in near black handling in the past, but the latest LG TVs have closed that gap.

alexpop likes this.
  19. LG Display (Korean: LG 디스플레이) is the world's largest LCD panel maker.[1] LG Display is one of the world's largest manufacturer and supplier of thin-film transistor liquid crystal display (TFT-LCD) panels, OLEDs and flexible displays. LG Display is headquartered in Seoul, South Korea and currently operates nine fabrication facilities and seven back-end assembly facilities in Korea, China, Poland and Mexico.

from Wiki

That company is revolutionary in that field. I saw something about an LG phone that is wearable they are developing. You can bend it around your wrist and straighten it out for other applications.

That explains it...

Here is the comparison video I mentioned. It's not conclusive but just seeing the images on screen I like the way Sony handles colors better. It could totally be because of the settings on the panels too.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Is LG the new Sony?

21. alexpop

My main requirements (future) around 2022( earlier) Flat screen/Glass /3D
    Oled 4k whatever ..if no 3D option no sale. At worst I'll just get a large flatscreen telly in a box for $500.00.
    Hopefully technology will have advanced in five years to accompany my wishes. There's a lot of angry LG fans /owners 5000 demanding the return of 3D.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No. They want to be the new Samsung!

alexpop likes this.
  23. alexpop

Ha!

24. alexpop

I don't know why I go on about 3D so much as i can't remember when I seen I good ( pop out) 3D movie on the big screen. My panny st50( actually StW55) 3D image is a tad dark. It would make my life a lot easier just selling my 50/100 3D titles. A future consideration. Think my most effective 3D disc is Creature From The Black Lagoon.

25. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.