oleroB - a truly unique LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by john greenwood, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member Thread Starter

Tacet has released a recording of Bolero on vinyl. However, because Bolero begins pianissimo and ends fortissimo, the LP plays from the inner groove to the outer groove.

"Never before, we dare to predict, has Bolero sounded as good on an LP as it does here. How is that possible? It's amazingly simple: place the needle in the groove on the inside, instead of, as is customary, on the outside. And as the needle slowly wanders outwards, the ability of the record player becomes better able, along with the increased tension in the music, to scan ever higher volumes. If you don't believe it, listen to it."

http://www.tacet.de/main/seite1.php?layout=katalog&language=en&filename=production.php&bestnr=02071

Bronth likes this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

As I noted over in the main Classical Music Corner thread, for a time all Pathe 78s played that way. (Mind you, the records in question played at a good bit more than 78 RPM; 90 to 100 was more like it.)

3. John S

John S Forum Resident

Wouldn't that throw the turntable's anti-skate control off?

4. Don't think so. I have the Black Keys limited edition reverse groove 12 inch single "Lonely Boy" that was released for Black Friday RSD, 2011. It plays from the deadwax back to the run-in groove. Sounds great. My deck is a Rega P3 w/ Nagaoka MP-200 phono cartridge.

There are several videos of the single playing, on YouTube. Unfortunately most of the audio is crap. But if you'd like to see it, here it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.