Oliver Stone's The Doors

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thievius, Mar 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist Thread Starter

Been on a Doors kick lately and was thinking about getting or streaming this film. But I'm not an Oliver Stone fan plus I watched the trailer on Youtube and it wasn't encouraging. This looks less about the Doors and more about wild, crazy, drunk shaman Jim Morrison. I understand covering that inescapable aspect of the band, I just don't want 2 hours of that.

Anyway, was hoping someone here could share their opinions on this film.

willwin likes this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love the movie. I used to watch it with all the real documentaries and concert footage. To me it was no different. Val Kilmer is great in it.

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I dont remember it well, but I believe it was pretty well all about Jimmy, not the band

Siegmund likes this.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

When he performs "Reading Rainbow", that's the best!

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Val Kilmer becomes Jim Morrison. You need to watch it for his incredible performance.

6. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I thought that the film was a tour de force, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. There was so much BS in that movie, but as entertainment I really enjoyed it.

But ultimately, it diminished the legacy of both the band and Jim Morrison - unfairly in my opinion - through the ridiculous caricature of Morrison, in a similar way that the book No One Here Gets Out Alive did.

If you want to get a realistic sense of Jim Morrison, the human being, then I suggest reading the book Friends Gathered Together by Frank Lisciandro.

7. Val Kilmer is great as Morrison, but everything I've learned about The Doors since I've seen the movie prevents me from ever wanting to watch it again. A great opportunity wasted IMHO...

[​IMG]

All Down The Line and keyXVII like this.
  8. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm a long-time Doors fan. Despite owning the film on DVD, I'm not a fan of the film. I've watched it multiple times. It's a film I really wanted to like. Unfortunately, it's a very unbalanced film. The majority of the film focuses on Morrison's exploits, many of which are fictionalizations.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Thievius, Old Rusty and Spaghettiows like this.
  9. Exactly. And why you would have to fictionalize anything about Jim Morrison is beyond me...

10. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist Thread Starter

Yeah I had a feeling that was the case. I'm probably gonna skip it.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yeah it made me sad and really turned me off to the Doors.

12. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

The film should be titled The Adventures of the Lizard King, as it diminishes The Doors in favour of perpetuating the myth of Morrison - and often ridiculously.

It also feels very much like a product of its time, in terms of being a late 80's rendering of the 60's, and thus mired somewhat in the popular conception of rock stardom at that particular moment - i.e. a Sunset strip hard rock mentality that saw Axl Rose as an authentic voice of rebellion. Ironically the film was released in 1991, the same year Nevermind showed just how ludicrous that myth was, and I'd wager that if made in, say, 1993, The Doors would have looked and sounded a whole lot different...

13. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Dreadful film. I haven't seen it since it came out and plan on keeping it that way.

14. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Typical Stone film, over the top and loosely based on fact.

Tokyo Ghost, FritzL, eeglug and 4 others like this.
  15. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

16. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

On paper it's the kind of film I would absolutely hate, but I loved it when it came out and own a copy. It all comes down to Val Kilmer, whose performance is just stunning.

It's not a film you watch to learn more about the Doors, however.

17. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I dislike it! It really makes Morrison look like a goof 24/7. The drug culture as acted out of Oliver Stone's mind is just silly and exaggerated.

Hall Cat likes this.
  18. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

No disrespect intended, but is your time that valuable? Watch the movie.
    Hell, send me a private message with your address. I'll send you the DVD. Watch it whenever you have time.

19. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have a few stories centered around this movie....

In my aerospace days when I worked at McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach, my foreman was Tony Funches who was Jim's bodyguard/minder for a few years. He almost never talked about Morrison and if he did, it was usually in praise and admiration. He hated the Oliver Stone movie.

A good friend who was a out-of-time stereotypical hippy at the time auditioned for a "featured extra" part in the movie, meaning no spoken lines but as an extra in a concert crowd scene who was supposed to crazily strip off his clothes and thus, get a few seconds of camera time. He did an audition in which the casting director spent a *lot* of unconfortable time photographing him nude to the point he bowed out of a follow-up audition.

Val Kilmer kind of got lost in the Morrison persona for a few years after filming finished. There's outtake footage from the 1997 concert documentary of Jane's Addiction's 1997 reunion "Relapse" tour where Janes played a private show at a Hollywood mansion and at one point in one of the barely lit rooms a bunch of people including Kilmer are getting high and Kilmer is basically being "Jim."

Oliver Stone at one point in the late 90's after The Doors wanted to do a similar "biopic" about Stiv Bators.

20. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Drugs are bad m'kay !

bunniboila likes this.
  21. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I was an extra in one of the concert scenes (I didn't make the final movie) and as someone already said, I wanted to like it but it was just kind of a drag. Kilmer was exceptionally good as Morrison.

22. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I didn't really like it. Title was a misnomer. It was all about Jim.

23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The things I remember from the film.
    Jim's ego and bulls**t
    Accepting a Wiccan wedding and then blowing it and his bride off.
    Its all about Pamela at times.

On the other hand , they recreated a number of the events of the band scary accurately. The casting is near perfect. To the point that you may forget its not a documentary.

Its problem is when Stone asserts his favored conspiracy theory on Jim's death. In my mind the impression is that blowing off his Wiccan wife led to REALLY bad karma.

Val Kilmer amazes me sometimes.

24. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

IIRC, the joke among film critics back in the day was that there were more Indians in Oliver Stone's The Doors than there were in the movie Dances With Wolves. Most agreed that Val Kilmer's performance was amazing, though

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It kinda reminded me of Where The Buffalo Roam. It bore little resemblance to Hunter's stories and the facts of his story about the Brown Buffalo. But Murray was doing a killer Hunter impersonation. And the script called for 60's music, some actin, and slapstick, which has nothing in common with Hunter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.