Olivia Newton-John Album by Album Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

Katey is mostly known for MWC in Canada and now that Biker show, whose name escapes me.

2. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

An album question. The 2010 re-issues from Japan. Did "Have You Never Been Mellow" have any bonus tracks, or did ANY reissue of this set have any bonus tracks ever?

3. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Yes Have You Never Been Mellow from the 40th Japan set from 2010 included 12 tracks instead of the 11 on the original MCA CD release, the 12th track was I Honesty Love You.

John-Adam likes this.
  4. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Which is something I never understood. It was already on Long Live Love, so why include it again? I always wondered if this wasn't a mistake, especially since all the other albums included two bonus tracks each.

John-Adam likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

IHLY was always on the Mellow album in the UK as a sort of unofficial bonus track. The reason was Olivia wasn't selling well at all here in 1974/5, but IHLY had been a minor hit peaking at #22 in October 1974. So, EMI added it to the LP, no doubt to try and drum up sales.

I believe the majority of the 2010 SHM CDs were based on the UK versions of the albums, which is why I'm assuming IHLY was carried over onto the Mellow album there.

No idea why the Mellow album didn't get the regulation 2 bonus tracks on the SHM box... Maybe they thought they'd spoilt us enough already.:)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    John-Adam likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

The Australian CD had If You Love Me (Let Me Know) as track 12. Don't know if it was this way on the original LP and cassette or just something they did for the 1998 CD remaster.

John-Adam likes this.
  7. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

Is is possibly a special version or a single mix, edit or something?

8. Bobby Morrow

No, same old boring version we all know.:)

9. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

We could never be spoiled by having TOO much Olivia! But it is strange. I think Come On Home was from the "Mellow" sessions. That could of been included at least!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  10. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

That was the other track. I had read [somewhere] there was 2 bonus tracks on the "Mellow" set, and I guess that makes a much sense as putting I Honestly Love You on the end. It was another minor hit in Australia, ???

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  11. Bobby Morrow

Or Richard's Window, which was from around this time.

I don't think too much thought went into the box, though it remains the nicest Olivia product we've had since her hey day.

Pizza and John-Adam like this.
  12. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

The one thing we will have to "agree to disagree on" is this song that I love, that you don't share the same sentiment! Oh well. I won't hold it against you, Bobby! lol

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

No idea. That song was a flop here. As were all her HYNBM, Clearly Love and Come On Over singles!

John-Adam likes this.
  14. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

So I guess success-wise Olivia belongs to us in America. I have no problem with that. :)

yesstiles and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

You couldn't blame her for moving there. She have been insane to have stayed in the UK at that point.

John-Adam likes this.
  16. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

Sad to say it, but it's true. And it's probably the only product of its kind that we'll ever get. It was certainly a LOT of money for a tiny handful of unreleased tracks, a few new-to-CD tracks, and some very nice packaging.

Pizza likes this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

I was thrilled with it back in 2010, but I realise now it could have been a lot more comprehensive.

John-Adam and Pizza like this.
  18. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I was happy with the box but disappointed that Love Performance got ripped apart. Plus the DVD was a waste. Still, love, love, love the packaging! I'm shallow. :)

John-Adam likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

After years of patchy new albums that were often hard to source, the box was a Godsend.

I'm beginning to think that maybe Olivia is holding off with back catalogue titles so as to leave some security for Chloe after she's gone. Depressing thought, but it's possible.:)

fsutall, John-Adam and Pizza like this.
  20. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

That's a very good question -- why have we not seen good expanded reissues of the albums from her heyday? I know there are plenty of artists who don't care about "looking back," but you'd think that someone who is doing a Vegas show that consists mainly of her old hits wouldn't be the type who wouldn't care about the old stuff.

John-Adam likes this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

It's crossed my mind that she's holding back for this reason. Then again, it could be that Olivia doesn't think re-releasing old albums is a priority..

22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I think the labels don't care. That or she wants more than they're willing to pay.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  23. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

Am I the only one who seems to be seeing only one side of the conversations on this thread?

24. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

'A Lot' more comprehensive!!!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  25. John-Adam

John-Adam Forum Resident

Nothing Olivia will ever do now or from the past will represent the monetary requirements for a label to pick it up and release/re-release it. Japan may be the only market where we may see some light shining. For us, more expensive imports. Hopefully more studio outtakes from the 70's and 80's. Have a feeling though the 80's stuff may not exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.