Olivia Newton-John Physical Poll. Pick Your Favourites & Discuss.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

I typically hate to be that guy who says about any artist with a long career, “yeah but their early stuff was better.” But with Olivia, it’s definitely how I feel. I prefer the country-leaning phase and she was sort of losing me. I bought Physical, but barely listened to it.

I do agree Olivia is a better singer than many people realize, and often sounds even better live than on the recordings. I was blown away hearing her sing Come On Over during an acoustic performance at the local symphony hall, seated and accompanied by a guitar.

2. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I totally agree on the live version of Silvery Rain being superior. The very first time I recall seeing her on television was on a Bob Hope special singing I honestly Love You. My gosh, the way she looked into that camera was incredible. There was just an innocence and sexiness all at the same time. I have a picture that I treasure specially framed and hanging in my living room with her posing with the great Charlie Rich during their Las Vegas opening at the Hilton Hotel in the same showroom that Elvis would play. Wow, the way she is looking at him you would think she was standing next to Elvis himself and she never fails to mention opening for the Silver Fox when critics ask about her Vegas start. Of course, Charlie had a pretty big grin on his face as well. I would catch his show about a year later, but unfortunately Barbie Benton was now his opening act and though quite the looker she did not begin to have the talent or vocals of Olivia. Olivia's career exploded and she was now a headliner on her own after that one gig opening for Rich at the Hilton. I will try to post the picture eventually once I get my technologically savvy daughter in law to come over to the house in a few days.

Jarleboy, John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

Please do.

I have seen a couple of photos of Olivia with Charlie Rich. Though that period of her career isn't as well documented as her later stuff.

4. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Man, I just dig Come On Over by Olivia. The vocal she delivers passionately and in such an effortless fashion almost the same way that Elvis sang In The Ghetto. The fantastic bass and delicate guitar work. Might be my favorite single she ever cut and I could never get tired of hearing it as it just has such warmth and an engaging melody.

Jarleboy, John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Yes, I will try but last time she tried to help me post a picture we needed some other software or something in order to post that we could not figure how to get in order to post something on this thread. I bought it on Ebay from the photographer who took it and had it blown-up slightly and matted and framed. Its black and white and it looks as though its definitely off stage and they are both looking splendid with his solid grey hair and her long blond locks. They are really staring into each other sweetly. I think that they were both thrilled to be performing together and both their careers were exploding at the same time.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Just picked up a nice US copy of the vinyl in excellent condition with the poster & inner sleeve in the dollar bin.

Olivia* - Physical

Darryl

RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Her version of Come On Over is beautiful. Far better than the Bee Gees original. Had she been hotter at the time, COO would have been a top 5 record at least. As it was, it stalled at #23. Even Something Better To Do got 10 places higher than that!

8. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The rest of the album is so much better than Physical and Make your move on me it's not even funny.

kiefer2 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  9. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

One of the best Barry Gibb and ONJ tunes ever. A masteriece of rare fragile beauty and her voice is divine here.

10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

After a couple of listens on Apple Music I'm able to say that I know another track from before: Love Make Me Strong. And it's nice too. I think the album suffers from inconsistent EQ and SQ. While it seems that Physical and Landslide are mixed the same, Make A Move On Me sounds different, and a bit unnatural but not awkward. Stranger's Touch sounds really butchered, though. Very harsh and no low end and all (this could be the current mastering on Apple Music). I think I would love this track – if it didn't sound so awful – for its very nice vocal arrangement. Falling is the mandatory MOR balled on side A and although I won't skip it, it does nothing for me.

Physical (the track) is still a bit overplayed for me, but not as awful as I remember. To be honest, it's rather nice and probably deserves to be the hit it was. Silver Rain could be nice too, but also has weird EQ, sounding a bit hollow and distant (like Make A Move On Me). And sound effects on the vocals? Wow :sigh:.
    Carried Away is your basic Bee Gees ballad. Nicely done, but we already know this from their own albums or Barbra and her Guilty album. I love the vocal arrangements on Recovery, although for the rest it basically sounds like a end-70's / beginning-80's MOR pop song. The Promise is the mandatory MOR ballad not side B, nicely done this time. It's more engaging than Falling, IMHO, but no new ground is covered here.

I think I would have liked this album a lot if I bought it when it was released. Nowadays it is a (surprisingly) nice listen song-wise, but I don't like its EQ at all. And I think it's not essential for my collection. Of course, the awful EQ might be the current remaster. Does anybody know if the early CD sounds different/better than what is currently streamed on Apple Music?

I'm not a big fan of the styling on the artwork. I think that the short hair and clothing makes her look too boyish. Clothing-wise this era is not by favourite at all, so it's certainly not Olivia's fault.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  11. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I could not agree more on all those sentiments. Olivia and John Farrar turned a very good song into a great single with his delicate production and her flawless vocals. How this great record did not go into the top ten on the pop charts is a mystery to me. Well, it least it went to number one on the Easy Listening chart as I recall. What a fantastic vocal and arrangement!

12. Bobby Morrow

I’ve never had a problem with the EQ on Physical, but of course I have had it since it came out. I probably never noticed.:) I suppose it’s a little synthy and ‘muddled’ in places, so I do know what you mean. It’s been remastered a couple of times. The last time (IIRC) for the Japanese 2010 release. This was the worst, IMO. Very loud. The original MCA CD sounds nice to my ears. The 1998 Festival reissue is louder, but not as good. The 2011 SACD is about as good as you’ll get it. I haven’t heard the Apple version but I recognise what you said, so it’s probably not their fault.

To be honest, I always thought the album sounded really good.:)

Jarleboy and Yost like this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

I’ve often said on the Olivia threads that the Come On Over album has Olivia’s best vocals. It’s far from being my favourite album by her, but her voice and the production are incredible.

Jarleboy and RSteven like this.
  14. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

God, throw out your crappy CDs this album is meant to be played on vinyl!! Lack of low end? Are you kiddin' me??? I have both original US and Japanese pressings and they both sound incredible in their own way. Though Physical tracks also sound very good on Olivia DVD.

15. Bobby Morrow

The production of the album won’t change just because it’s on vinyl. If it was recorded in a way so that Olivia’s voice is buried a little then it will sound that way whatever format you listen on. Vinyl isn’t a magical cure all.

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

It is. All Physical CDs that I heard sound thin and harsh, vinyl sounds huge, warm and punchy with wonderful bass.

David Campbell likes this.
  17. Yost

That’s good to know. :righton:

antonkk likes this.
  18. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

Well, yes, I would agree with that. Both parts.

Jarleboy, RSteven and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

My favorite song on the album and underrated IMO. Even in current poll. :)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  20. Bobby Morrow

I always liked it. They wasted it as a B-side, but I thought it was better than Make A Move On Me. Better video too.

JeffMo likes this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great song tucked away on the middle of side two!

22. Yost

I don't mind the synths and I’m not sure it’s muddy, it’s more that different tracks have very different EQ choices, making me need to adjust when a new song starts. And some instruments and/or Olivia’s voice sound really far away in the sound stage on some tracks. And of course some “high tech” digital reverb was used :rolleyes: making it all very 80’s cold…

23. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

It's a pretty good album, though for my money, side 2 is far stronger than side 1. I don't like much of Livvy's post-Don't Stop Believin' work, but there are some great tracks on Physical. Love Make Me Strong and Carried Away are my two favourites.

24. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Can't believe you haven't done this yet.
    I can't disparage "Physical" now that Juliana Hatfield has covered it. It's just not possible.
    This might be the best example of an artist successfully switching gears mid-career to follow a musical and cultural trend, and crush it. It has some good singles besides you*know*what but, for me, is more of an historical curiosity.

25. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wonderful music.....horrible haircut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.