Olivia Newton-John puts tour on hold to battle breast cancer

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, May 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

It's because you are so busy with one of SHF's most successful threads! Thank you Jarle!

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

3. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

She looks beautiful.Seriously, I'm constantly in awe of her fortitude and grace. If you didn't know the situation you'd never suspect there was anything wrong.

She has an interview on Australian 60 minutes on Sunday. They have their own YouTube channel. I imagine it will be uploaded Monday or sometime next week.

4. Bobby Morrow

Yes, there have been a few clips from that. It sounds like the cancer has shrunk considerably. I also saw a clip with Emerson on YouTube that backed this up. He added that Olivia has opted not to have chemotherapy this time as she doesn't want the chemicals in her body.

John Adam and Randoms like this.
  5. David Campbell

If she is getting the results she's been getting from the radiotherapy and the natural remedies alone without the chemo, then great. Chemo sometimes isn't the right course of treatment. Often times I wonder if it doesn't cause more problems than it treats.

I've read that Olivia is still having problems with climbing steps based on some who saw her at the ONJ gala, but otherwise she's moving well.

In any case we will know more come Sunday/ Monday. It sounds like it's going to be a very candid and frank interview.

John Adam, David G. and Bobby Morrow like this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

I haven't read that she had trouble with steps, but I suppose it's inevitable that she won't be A plus. I'm not sure how bone cancer affects people. I know bones can break or fracture from being weakened by the disease, but I've not looked into it anymore. You kind of don't want to know, do you?!

It will be interesting to see how she answers the questions on the show. One of the clips had the interviewer asking "What's the prognosis?". You can't get much more direct than that!

John Adam and David G. like this.
  7. David Campbell

In her case from what I've read it's less about weakness in her bones and more about some still present Nerve pain. For all intents and purposes she still has Scaitica as a consequence of her cancer. However, as her tumor shrinks, her mobility increases. She mentioned in the print interview last week she was waddling like a penguin due to the pain up until the last couple months but her mobility is steadily increasing all the time.

The prognosis question will be the one I'm most interested in hearing her answer, although I wouldn't be surprised nor blame her if she decided not to go into full details. That is very personal. Plus, whether it's positive or negative, I imagine it's immaterial to her outlook. She fully intends to beat it again. I sure as hell wouldn't bet against her.

8. Bobby Morrow

I agree. I'm quite surprised she agreed to this interview in the first place. No one would have expected it of her.

John Adam likes this.
  9. David Campbell

She's always been forthcoming on her previous fight, so it doesn't surprise me she's equally forthcoming on this one, although last time her first interview was AFTER her treatments were finished and she got a clean bill of health.

I think the reason why she's speaking out so early is she wants to set the record straight. The media machine is a different beast than 25 years ago and she really can't get away with staying completely silent for a year, especially as it seems this time she is being very public and is working while undergoing treatment.

The media and yes her fans will keep asking questions, so I think Olivia wants to lay it all out ( at least to the extent she feels comfortable) put as much speculation to rest as she can so she can hopefully move on and continue her work and advocacy.

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I agree that she wants to put any speculation to rest, and there's certainly no better way to do that than to be candid and open in front of the public. I also think she understands that she is a role model for many people struggling with cancer, and that she can do a great deal of good by showing how even a very serious diagnosis doesn't mean you have to give up.

Pizza, John Adam and David Campbell like this.
  11. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I was at the Gala. Olivia looked beautiful and very elegant in her pantsuit - more understated than last year, which was appropriate given everything that has happened. She was always helped up and down the stairs to the stage, but she didn't look in distress. It was an extremely moving night; she gave a written speech at the start of the event which set the tone, and she was interviewed on stage about her new 'journey' halfway through proceedings. As this was her first media appearance since the diagnosis, you could feel the energy in the room of everyone being very concerned for her.

The most touching moment was when Delta Goodrem was announced as a surprise guest, and sang 'I Honestly Love You' to Olivia. Olivia then joined her on stage and they sang 'Right Here With You' together. It gave me goosebumps because I think everyone in the room felt like the lyrics summed up why we were in attendance.

She is a remarkable woman and her resilience and compassion is inspiring. In her typically humble way, she didn't want to be the focus of the night (even though every single speaker noted her bravery and the many other qualities that she continues to show in her patronage of the Centre). I have never been more proud of her than I was the other night.

x

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  12. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I've always been impressed by how tough Olivia has been. She's been stereotyped by her music by the public but this brave, determined lady can really kick butt. I honestly love her and what she represents. Keep it up, Olivia!!

13. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The forum software is forcing this name of the link, but this is from the Australian Herald Sun (it only let me bring up the page once before asking for a subscription) -

2017 ONJ Gala: Olivia Newton-John ‘winning over cancer’:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

14. David Campbell

Well, someone on Facebook on the Official ONJ fan page posted video of the whole interview from 60 minutes Australia last night. I can't link it from my phone here at work, but if you search there you can find it. I'll see if I can link it here later this afternoon when I get home. (Unless someone beats me to it!)

All I can say after watching it, is how amazing she is. As Chris said above, I am so proud to be a fan of hers. Even If I didn't like her music, I'd definitely be a fan of her as a human being. Such strength and fortitude. A genuine human being in a business that doesn't always reward authenticity. God bless Olivia Newton-John.

15. John Adam

And some of us here knew this all along! But what is really awesome is more people are going to know WHY we are so into Olivia. It's the music, the songs, but it's much deeper and profound.

16. David Campbell

Porkpie, John Adam, David G. and 3 others like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

That was lovely. Thanks for posting it. I could only find excerpts on YouTube. I've said it before but all of Olivia's best interviews seem to take place in Australia. She really seemed to have a rapport with that guy. I love the way they teased each other. She answered some difficult question with grace and honestly. I'm kind of glad she's taking it easier. She's toured hard for so long. I hope she gets to do all she wants.

18. David Campbell

To be honest a tiny part of me was almost dreading seeing this interview because I thought It would be somewhat of a downer given Olivia's situation. I hate that she had to go through this again at a time in her life she should have been able to enjoy her "golden years" and slow down and enjoy the fruits of her 50 years in showbiz. Plus some of the clips gave the impression that it would be a somber interview and be somewhat sad and melancholy. It was completely the opposite. Yes it was emotional. Yes, the hand fate delt Livvie still sucks,but instead I found myself smiling, laughing with her and feeling uplifted. I too loved the banter and how at ease she is. You really do feel her radiance and her strength and humor in a way you rarely get to see in most interviews. She's always charming and nice,but often reserved and sometimes she almost comes off a little scripted in some interviews especially here in the US. Not so here. This is the real Olivia Newton-John, and my respect for her, which was already high, increased ten fold.

Before this interview, I was in the mindset of staying positive for Olivia's future...but still worried to a certain extent. Now? After hearing her speak and seeing her calmness and light and determination, I have no doubt she will be around for a long long time yet to come. She will conquer this as she has all of her other setbacks and challenges. I look forward to seeing what the next chapter in her life entails. Her story is not finished. Not by a long shot.

19. John Adam

Thank you David for sharing this! And your words about the interview and Olivia. She is truly awesome, and on a mission.
    To the rest of the gang too, for your kind words and support of our favorite artist! Pizza for starting this great thread!!

Pizza, Bobby Morrow and David G. like this.
  20. Chris_Sydney

21. David Campbell

Thanks for this link, Chris. Thank god for the internet , otherwise we here in the states wouldn't have seen these.

An interesting aside. Last night I found an old clip from the Oprah Winfrey show from 98' which is the first interview I have clear memories of as it was that time I started to get into her music. I look at this interview you posted, and the one from Sunday and it struck me how she has similar hairstyles then and now, and, at the risk of sounding somewhat shallow, how little she has seemed to age in 19 years. It was kind of a weird time warp!

John Adam likes this.
  22. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

She always comes across as a completely genuine person, very bubbly and kind-hearted. And luckily she seems to have the best resources available to beating it.

23. Chris_Sydney

I thought the same thing! With her hair this length and the fringe at the front, it looks very 'Back With A Heart'.

x

John Adam and David Campbell like this.
  24. David Campbell

Another interview from austrailian morning TV...

What's interesting is at one point in the interview she briefly mentions her hectic work schedule as of the last few years and kind of alludes to the fact she thinks the extra stress may have contributed to her relapse. Looking back , she had been going a million miles an hour since Rona's passing, and even prior. Cancer is never a blessing on it's own, of course,but I'm glad for her sake she's learning to slow down.

Here's a print interview from the Herald Sun....

No Cookies | Herald Sun

...and a Radio Interview.

Olivia Newton-John

25. Chris_Sydney

Olivia was in Canberra today meeting with the Prime Minister of Australia and other members of parliament to ask for more funding into brain cancer and breast cancer recurrence research. The quality of the video isn't fantastic, but it's a good interview. She is also asked about the marriage equality plebiscite currently happening in Australia (embarrassingly late compared to other countries).

x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.