Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

I know nothing she records now will sell, but I'm surprised an album of pop songs hasn't crossed her mind.. She may as record something her remaining fans might enjoy!

It's true that by the mid-80's her time as a major pop star was pretty much up. Still, she helped speed up the process by recording terrible records like Warm & Tender, Gaia and (later on) (2). I'm tempted to put The Rumour in the latter group, but it isn't as bad as them. That said, if the title track had been a big hit (and I believe it did deserve a top 20 placing), what else on the album could she have followed it with? Big And Strong? It's Not Heaven? Tutta La Vita? All of these are pleasant enough, but there are no hit singles on The Rumour..

DiabloG and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

What she would have needed was to work with the right people, and that isn´t always an easy task. (Not even knowing who the right people is easy!) And, even more important, finding the right songwriters. Alan Tarney never worked with Olivia, and I´d love to see what they could come up with together. Having said that - I do mean Alan Tarney back when he still had the magic touch. There are still plenty of excellent Tarney Spencer Band songs that haven´t been covered by anyone. She did cover their "Hey Mr. Dream Maker" on "Don´t Stop Believin´", but there are plenty of others that would suit her voice. "No Time to Lose" could be a post-2000 "Please Don´t Keep Me Waiting".

There aren´t that many writers around anymore that specifically write for stars, but they do exist. Why doesn´t she get together with Cliff and sift through what is out there, pick an album´s worth for both, and make sure there are some uptempo songs as well as lovely ballads. They have both done this before, and they could do it again. If they feel up to it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Bobby Morrow

I know I've said it before, but I wish she'd go to Nashville and record some of the songs for hire there. It's basically what she used to do in her heyday. Maybe she could coax 2 or 3 new tunes from John Farrar?

Unfortunately she's still stuck in healing mode. Despite nobody ever asking for her help or input on this.:) Her last few albums have been cheaply and quickly made charity albums that have little to commend them. Grace & Gratitude stood out because her voice was so good, but it's just not an album I ever play. I can't imagine the flowery lyrics being much help to anyone living in the real world either.:)

Her and Cliff doing a duets album is something I have thought about in the past. Sadly, they're both so over the hill now I don't think either of them would recognise a decent song if it bit them on the ar$e.:D So, I'd say a Livvy and Cliff album would have been a good idea 10-15 years ago, but I don't fancy it now, to be honest..

Pizza and Jarleboy like this.
  4. Jarleboy

Agreed - why not go to Nashville? There are plenty of good writers there, and not only in the country department. Janis Ian lives there, and Olivia could do worse than record some of her songs. She could do them justice, especially with her more husky voice.

I´m sorry if I misled you - I see now that I formulated my ingenious idea rather badly: I meant that Cliff and Olivia could pick out the songs together, and the record their own albums. Not a duet album, as it seemed I suggested. I agree that idea is no longer a choice. Not a good one, anyway.

And sadly, I agree with you about recognizing decent songs... They both stumble upon great songs now and then, but now it seems like it´s by accident. They were both once great at choosing songs. After the 90s passed, they no longer seem to have that ability. (Cliff finally recording "Golden" and releasing the 1977 track "Mobile Alabama..." etc. are his contributions over the last ten years...)

No, I think we need to face the fact that their time has been and is no more. And that is OK. Stars don´t last forever.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  5. Bobby Morrow

There's always a chance they might surprise us, but I'm not holding my breath.:)

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Jarleboy

No, please don´t do that. That would kill you, and we wouldn´t want that! :sigh:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  7. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Bohemian Rhapsody has taught us that anything can be a hit :D. With that said, I guarantee that you'd still not be a fan of The Rumour even if 2 or 3 of the songs somehow turned out to be big hits. ;)

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. Bobby Morrow

Luckily I was never tested on that.

Pizza, DiabloG and Jarleboy like this.
  9. Jarleboy

It´s an interesting premise, though. I have sometimes been surprised at what albums or singles did or did not become hits. Not that it matters, of course, but you would expect at least fair-weather fans to attach some importance to it. For instance, my favourite period in Cliff´s career are the years between 1975 and 1995. Those were mostly successful years, and yielded many gigantic hits, both artistically and commercially. My "runner-up" period are the years between 1966 and 1974, and those include the least successful years commercially, and, according to Cliff himself, the critics and the public, these are his least interesting years artistically, and they yielded comparatively few and minor hits. Am I swayed by those views and facts? No, I keep listening to the songs that I think are classics, whether they be hits, B-sides or album tracks.

What´s my point? I agree, I don´t think Bobby would be so shallow in his judgement of the songs that their hit status, or lack thereof, would influence him at all. For me, with Cliff, the ultimate test would be "Millennium Prayer". I didn´t like the idea of it when it was presented to me, I didn´t like the song when I heard it - and I didn´t grow to love it when it reached No. 1.

I am not saying that this is what you suggested, Diablo. (So, "Why Should the Devil Have All the Good Music?" :laugh:) It just got me thinking.

DiabloG and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. DiabloG

At least you gave the album a chance. :thumbsup: Some people would never do that just because "it has that dated mid/late 80's sound, so it automatically sucks!"
    No worries, I understand! I guess I didn't word my statement correctly, my bad for that. I would never consider anyone here shallow in musical tastes (except myself since I mainly gravitate towards the 70's and especially the 80's...) Heck, I remember Bobby quoting that one of the better tracks on The Rumour was Car Games, and IMO, it's the least accessible/commercial song on the album. Even if the singles off of each album were someone's favorites, the real part that matters is that they're enjoying the music itself!
    Believe me, this devil doesn't have all the good music! He's still lookin' fer it! :D

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. Jarleboy

No, no, my dear Mr. Devil, I think you worded your entry perfectly. It just set off some thoughts in my muddled head, and you find the result above... :righton: And I agree 100% with you about musical taste - there is no correct or incorrect choices, just music you like or dislike. I have been known to like everything from the silliest of the silliest - "Shaddap You Face", "Da Da Da", "Save Your Love", I liked them all. (For different reasons, I must admit.) And in the other end, I like operas and symphonies and free-form jazz... The genre is not the point, the music is. I agree with you - there is no such thing as superficial taste in this context. There are those who deliberately leave out certain genres or artists because they don´t want to like them, but I don´t think Bobby or you belong to that group.

Like you said, "the real part that matters is that you're enjoying the music itself!". That´s the whole point, and I am allergic to people trying to convince me that I am wrong for liking a certain artist or genre. My point is that I like the music I like, whatever others might say. And I think most of usin here are the same, more or less.

DiabloG likes this.
  12. DiabloG

I'm not sure if this was already mentioned, but I found a Grease video game on the Playstation 3 yesterday. I didn't buy it of course, but it's interesting that it exists. Speaking of Grease, has anyone heard the 2015 vinyl yet?

Jarleboy likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Whatever happened to @kingrommel, by the way? It's been a month since he was last here. Hope he's in good health.:D

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Jarleboy

I was just thinking the same thing. I also hope he´s all right. Probably too busy.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

I wonder if he's gone off her and daren't tell us.:D

David Campbell and Jarleboy like this.
  16. Jarleboy

He, he... How could he? Once you´re in, you´re never out. :agree:

17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You guys have done it - you all babble about ONJ that I had a dream about her last night!

I went to a dinner party at her DC condo. She had some problems with her air conditioner so I helped her find a company to fix it.

You f--kers have gotten into my head! :mad:

18. Bobby Morrow

As long as you're not tempted to buy any of her music you should be OK.:D

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

If she comes out with an album called "AC On the Blink", I'll have to get it...

20. Bobby Morrow

It sounds more interesting than anything she's recorded in the last 10 years..

fsutall, David Campbell and Jarleboy like this.
  21. Bobby Morrow

[​IMG]
    Nice 70s pic of Olivia from this week's Billboard.

Jarleboy and Marble Index like this.
  22. Chris_Sydney

Chris_Sydney Forum Resident

I've always found that photoshoot so bizarre - seeing Olivia wearing so much fur is unsettling! Let's hope it was fake.

x

Pizza and Marble Index like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I don't think it was fake. I remember an interview in the early 80s where she claimed to have worn real fur, 'once, but not anymore'.

Jarleboy and Marble Index like this.
  24. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Wonderful. Music to listen to while in a spa. Thanks Livvy!

David Campbell and Jarleboy like this.
  25. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I think when she had the right song (such as "Make A Move On Me"), she was great.

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.