Olivia Newton-John. Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobby Morrow, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member Thread Starter

(Part of) a new interview with Olivia today. Great news that she’s feeling well enough to bop around the stage a bit more.

She mentions her favourite Christmas song... Betcha can’t guess what it is.:D

fsutall, MMM and John Adam like this.
  2. Bobby Morrow

Another interview that covers the same territory.

fsutall, MMM and John Adam like this.
  3. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

Found this lovely signed 8"x10" at an estate sale today for a grand total of one dollar!! It's in excellent condition to boot. Guessing it dates from the late 1990s or early 2000s?

[​IMG]

4. Bobby Morrow

Yeah, I’d put it at 1997/8. Looks about the time she was doing the Panasonic ads.

John Adam and fsutall like this.
  5. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

That would have been around the time she released her Back With A Heart album and was spending time here in Nashville, so it makes sense that it would turn up at a local sale.

BTW the house where the sale was going on was formerly owned by a huge disco fan, and it was one the strangest homes I've ever seen. A beautiful old house, but he had plastered dozens of vintage disco vinyl 45 singles on his kitchen cabinets! He had a Cher light fixture in the kitchen as well. And he had disco paraphernalia all over the house, including disco balls and Saturday Night Fever and Village People posters and original artwork. One of the more bizarre afternoons I've had in quite a while!

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Not seen this since it was originally shown. In late September 1974, Olivia came to the UK to promote I Honestly Love You. IIRC, she was here a couple of weeks and did Cliff’s show and Top Of The Pops, where this clip is from. Great live vocal and Olivia has the biggest flicks in her hair I ever saw her with.:D

MMM and John Adam like this.
  7. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

As you know, I'm going to enjoy this one, plus I've never seen this before, so it was "new" to me. She was so beautiful. :love:

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  8. John Adam

Pretty big "flicks" in this performance from Johnny Carson in late 1976. She certainly knows how to work the camera when she sings! Big Yay on this one, as "Sam" anyway, became one of her best known songs!

Olivia Newton-John • The Tonight Show (1976.11.12)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

From the same show - John Farnham has apparently changed his name!

Oops. John “Farmhand” & Olivia

[​IMG]

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

I quite like the idea of Olivia teaming up with a farmhand to record a Christmas album. After all, she’s done one with everyone else.:D

AFOS likes this.
  11. JRad

JRad Well-Known Member

:D at farmhand.
    Grease is set to air all day Christmas Eve on U.S. VH1, for those who can't get enough. :wiggle:

John Adam and Scopitone like this.
  12. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Tracks from this album popped up my iTunes "Christmas" filter; part of some ONJ pack I imported, no doubt. Pleasant, sing-a-long, forgettable renditions save Travolta's ad libbing. His cappuccino looks good.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  13. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

God, Travolta's "hair" is atrocious. That album cover gives me nightmares!

Porkpie likes this.
  14. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yeah. It's a bit freakish. Oddly, when I look at this picture it makes me wish he appeared in Xanadu with Olivia instead of Two of a Kind. I'm sure Xanadu would have still tanked but I like the idea of Kelly with Travolta.

15. Bobby Morrow

I am quite fond of I Think You Might Like It. The lyrics are terrible, but Olivia sounds great and the melody is good. Proves John Farrar can still knock out a decent tune.

John Adam and Porkpie like this.
  16. Bobby Morrow

Someone is putting UK shows on YouTube that haven’t seen the light of day in the Internet age. This is from Top Of The Pops in late March 1974 and has Olivia performing Long Live Love which she’s also sing at the Eurovision Song Contest the following week! Once more, it’s a good live vocal. Olivia’s hair is huge again..Perhaps she did it specifically for TOTP?:) Not sure why the show is in black and white... Some TV shows from the 70s are for some reason.

17. Bobby Morrow

Host Dave Lee Travis sneaks a kiss off Olivia and wishes her well for Eurovision at the end of the show.

John Adam and Scopitone like this.
  18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Thanks for the heads-up! She looks wonderful in that white suit.

Though I hate it when those guys ruin the videos with their own watermark. As if they own the material! And if they really cared, they would want everyone to share this sort of thing.

GoodKitty, John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Wonder how long it took her to do that hair?

John Adam and Bobby Morrow like this.
  20. John Adam

Merry Christmas Olivia, and to all the regular Olivia thread family! [I won't name names - you know who you are!]
    Another year here on Steve Hoffman Music Forum, Olivia is still here, we are still here, so I'd have to say there is much goodness in 2017.
    Who can predict the future. I am glad to have some contact with her "Hopelessly Devoted" clan. We are quite a diverse bunch all sharing our respect for ONJ.
    Cheers! One of the lesser known songs, "One Little Christmas Tree."

Chris_Sydney, Song4U, Pizza and 3 others like this.
  21. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Merry Christmas @John Adam and gang. May everyone have a "mellow" holiday and new year.

John Adam and Song4U like this.
  22. M2225

M2225 Nebulus 7 intergalaxy eclipse

She's OK. Xanadu on vinyl in the 70's, She was "kind of a" ELO member. Wait, I guess that applied for all other "ELO" members in the ELO "band" pictures on that album? They were "kind of ELO members" Perhaps ONJ was the only "ELO" member performing on that album aside of Jeff? Oh well, I'm getting delusional. ONJ is till OK, the Xanadu track written by Jeff with ONJ on vox is top notch. I doubt ther was much of a ELO "band" left more at that time except for the pics?

23. Bobby Morrow

I did read that the rest of the band were against Xanadu but Jeff wanted to do it.

M2225, Jarleboy and John Adam like this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Travolta really should have use the other hairstyle he has hanging in his closet, as you say this ‘hair’ is just awful.

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. John Adam

Find this rather interesting. Olivia was definitely America's sweetheart during her charting years in the 70's and 80's. As Bobby has mentioned before, in the UK she didn't chart at all between "IHLY and Sam." In the US, she had #1's, gold records, even the less popular singles like "Every Face Tells A Story, Making A Good thing Better, and Totally Hot" charted here, but not in Australia, UK and Canada. America definitely embraced Olivia Newton-John. For better or worse!

Jarleboy, Pizza and Bobby Morrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.